Reload this Page >

The first step to NZ

The first step to NZ

Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The first step to NZ

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Made me laugh too, coming from a Scot...

Mwah hah hah hah haaaaaa!!! Sharp as a knife me!!! I'm so funny, I'll cut myself with my own tongue one of these days!!!!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

And, can I just add, much as you've rattled my cage on the odd occasion or ten Kiwijetpilot, I've enjoyed reading the banter between you and Campbells. Nice to see a bit of informed, rational debate on the forum.
(of which I'm clearly unable to participate in)
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:36 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Few observations

Originally Posted by Damages
Hi Campbells, Phyllis
Hi there, sorry 'bout the lag in response. Flying out of NZ & have to pack so not going to be able to give you a detailed reply to your questions but I will offer this.

NZ is without a doubt a country to bring up children & that is our reason for "choosing" NZ. There are issues but these are small by comparison. Ultimately wherever you are In the globe it is still up to the parents to protect their children from the various “threats” but the volume of potential threats are far les here from what I have seen in my short time here.

There is a big outdoors lifestyle here which we want to get our wee lad plugged into as well as the sport side of life and it is all here. Some of the issues the have referred to earlier that are certainly considerations will / has not put me off. As I said don’t sweat the small stuff. My comments are there for folk to read, digest and get what they can out of it in preparation / considering the move over. Ultimately as you can read in the various posts here NZ is not for everyone but I think this is a great place.

I will try to get to more specific replies when I have some free time in the near future.

Best regards

Campbell.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:47 pm
Damages

Default Re: Few observations

Hi Campbells

Thanks for the reply. I take your point about observations and appreciate that your account was for information, I think I may have got my knickers in a twist and worried unnecessarily. I've recently had some contact with a very helpful lady in Tauranga that Debs put me on to who has been very encouraging so like you I am not put off. Let's face it, life couldn't be worse than here with an 11 year old lad with no secondary school to go to in September. He's a bright lad but couldn't compete with the hothoused children sitting for entrance exams so he'll get offered the sink school. I agree with you on the kids issue and I guess the problems we have come nowhere near the problems in SA. Don't worry about pandering to my paranoia I shall continue to look forward to your posts and not sweat the small stuff

Phyllis

Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:11 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Tayberry

Thanks. As a special treat, go to http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~geoffo/humour/flattery.html and enjoy...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Tayberry

Thanks. As a special treat, go to http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~geoffo/humour/flattery.html and enjoy...
Hey, I checked out that link!!! Let's just put it this way, they weren't telling me something I didn't know already!!!! I am great.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of
Default Re: studying while hubby works

hi everyone
hubby joined this a few days ago and i have been reading up, there really is some useful advise out there, thank you.
our status is; EOI submitted on 20-4-05, no news yet.
2 kids, 11&13
mel is a toolmaker and will do this, if we get there, in NZ
i work with children however would like to study floristry.
can i ask if i would be able to do this in NZ?
Any info at all would be useful :scared: :scared:
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:59 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Remember Me ????

Hi all,
Just wanted to do a quick post here as I have been so busy I jut haven't had time. I hope to be getting round to doing an update of our NZ experiences since coming back to NZ in early May.

So keep watching for the update. Good to see the forum is still alive & kicking as we are too,

Regards to y'all,

Campbell
Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Remember Me ????

Originally Posted by Campbells
Hi all,
Just wanted to do a quick post here as I have been so busy I jut haven't had time. I hope to be getting round to doing an update of our NZ experiences since coming back to NZ in early May.

So keep watching for the update. Good to see the forum is still alive & kicking as we are too,

Regards to y'all,

Campbell
Hi Campbells

Welcome back! Phyl & I were wondering where you guys had got to. It has been quite a while too. Much has happened since you last posted including a new name (2 actually) for us and some other new names from old faces!!

Looking forward to hearing your latest episode.

Cheers

Kind Regards

Ali
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:03 pm
Banned

Default Re: I'll be back

Gee, time flies!! Excuses excuses.

Well here we are in NZ and just received my work permit, yee haa after a six-week wait but it is done.

The learning curve we have been on is very close to the vertical and will still remain there for a while I guess.

Someone said to me recently “1000 days is what it takes to really settle in a new country�.

So now that I have posted this drip of information I have to get on with the day. I will be posting more information & feedback as I originally promised but right now a bit short of time.

Hope this finds you all well.

Cheers the noo

Campbell

PS: I see Kiwi Jet Pilot is banned - gee!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:02 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Well here we are in NZ and just received my work permit, yee haa after a six-week wait but it is done.

The learning curve we have been on is very close to the vertical and will still remain there for a while I guess.

Someone said to me recently “1000 days is what it takes to really settle in a new country�.

So now that I have posted this drip of information I have to get on with the day. I will be posting more information & feedback as I originally promised but right now a bit short of time.

Cheers the noo

Campbell

Hi Campbell

Phyl here. Good to see you. You're not the only one for whom the learning curve has been steep judging by others' experiences on this forum. KJP...long story. How's the jobhunting going?

Phyllis
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers the noo

Campbell

Hi Campbells,

Good to see you guys back. (It has been a long time hasn't it!!!). I guess that you will see that there has been an enormous number of changes here on the forum :scared: . Many of the folks posting are new and many of those we used to hear from have left, been banned, come back (sometimes as 'trolls') got banned again etc. etc. KJP has gone (banned) come back, got banned, come back, got banned again although he is easy enough to find, either through his website or email. (pm us if you need to know). Don has been banned (although he keeps re-appearing and getting re-banned). Cassa has vanished from the forum and is probably back in UK and about to have her baby. Haven't heard much from Taybury for awhile. She was on her return to UK.

Anyway welcome back to the forum. We are eager for your news and hope to see some posts from you soon.

Kind Regards

Last edited by Sega Mad; Aug 27th 2005 at 9:57 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:45 am
Banned

Default Re: 20 / 20 vision if your hind got sight

Greetings: Yup, yup, yup.
It’s been a good while since I have posted a decent post here. I guess that says a lot about coming to NZ and having lots of time!

First up:
To those Experienced, previously adjusted (or not) to NZ I guess you can all cheer, “I told you so”, AGAIN! The last episode where I ate humble pie I had a few contributions to the thread asking if I had started work yet with a “just wait” signature. Hmmm, I thought.

Yup, yup, yup.
Ok, now that I have started work I again eat rhubarb pie. You were right. This is like the scary story thread for me coming to life! I have heard so many immigrants in NZ say the place is backwards and this is Auckland. It is not the technology but the attitude. I have heard so many times Kiwi’s referring to “New Zealand experience” & how they relate that you can travel the globe but not know what gives here in terms of your skill-sets and commercial offerings & to an extent that is correct as most other countries have developed beyond. I believe that the cold hard facts of it is that a lot of the management styles (or lack of) here do not want to be exposed for their ancient “bully-boy” tactics and it would seem are reluctant to change or open to recognizing the need for change.

I read many other “positive” posts as mine were at honeymoon phase and how the Kiwi’s are great folk. Yup, yup, yup. But on the work from I find them (not generalizing) totally lacking in people-skills and professional management abilities. By this, I refer to the management and I do not understand how a lot of the workers here just take the abuse!

The Kiwis are not happy to embrace what they see as outsiders into their business world or work-place but are more than happy to offer the touristy visitors & potential immigrants a receipt. Believe you me this I not just my opinion.

Right now I am actually at the place if I am not sure if I want to pursue this country after all this hard work & positive energy to get here. I do not want to sound bitter but certainly can say that I do not enjoy NZ like I had envisaged.

In short I think the Kiwis have done a great & clever marketing job of their country and have certainly managed to put into place a system that suits only the Kiwis in terms of importing skills. It is a well known fact that there are many a highly qualified people driving cabs or busses to supposedly get “in” to the country.

On the “up” side I still think the lifestyle here can be awesome and that is the only reason I will consider to pursue this country at this point in time. So that is the news update of us in NZ. Cheers
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:33 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

HI Campbells,

So glad to see you back posting again. I truly admire your honesty. I remember the 'Scary or what?' thread (one of the best on this forum IMHO - generated some very heated debate) and how we all staunchly defended our decisions to move to NZ. You've always had a really grown up attitude to the decisions you've made, and to eat humble pie as you put it shows your maturity. It certainly makes those of us who haven't started the process weigh up the possible obstacles and culture differences we should be ready to experience (of course I appreciate it's not necessarily the same for everyone). Hope all goes well for you and your family.

Phyl