Reload this Page >

Finding somwhere to live

Finding somwhere to live

Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:11 am
Just Joined

scubamonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding somwhere to live

Hi all,

I've ben offered a job in Wellington and moving from the UK but a little concerned on how I find somewhere to live from the moment I land.

Living in a hotel for any period of time is going to be expensive so wondered how quick and easy (if it is!) it is to rent somewhere pretty quickly.

Also, any tips on which suburbs to live in Wellington would be greatly appreciated. I don't drive so would have to use public transport to get to work in the CBD but don't mind walking either.

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding somwhere to live

I don't know Wellington well but Trade Me Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me is the site to go to to look for rentals - go to the Property section - has both for sale and to rent, also a flatmates bit if you're looking to share a house.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:15 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know Wellington either but there's also this site for rentals:
Homes for Rent - Realestate.co.nz
Good for buying houses if you're considering that at a later date
Old Nov 21st 2014, 6:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we live within the Greater Wellington area on the Kapiti coast and atm its approx an hours journey into the CBD. But you have options of the CBD itself also places like Lower Hutt, Tawa, Newlands, Khandallah, Petone, Island Bay and the list goes on. It depends what you want out of your non work life and what you are prepared to do to get it.

I would say firstly get organise a serviced unit as you are going to need a good few days to get things sorted and with the jet lag you really don't want to have to be worrying about cleaning somewhere. So on you moving costs factor in cost of say a week in a serviced apartment (this is what we did and found it a real help).
Rentals come and go and in some experiences go fairly quickly but everyone does seem to get somewhere. All I would say if you are coming over in Summer still look at the place with the eye for heating, damp and weepy windows. Wellington is the windiest city in the world so also bear that in mind when looking at a rental you need to have a place that gets hours and hours of sunshine and can stand up to the winds.
Sign up to the shortest lease you can possibly can as getting out of them before your time is up can be costly and stressful.

Do you have any one here already that could help you prior to your arrival?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Hi when we arrived in wellington we stayed in a holiday home/Bach for the first 4 weeks, cheaper than a hotel. It wasn't 5* butt it was 3 bed and great for our family
Wellington Accommodation | Bookabach
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Absolutely get a serviced unit, many of them in the central city area. When we have to come over to Wellington for work, they never put us in a hotel, too expensive. In a serviced apartment, you don't have to worry about a thing, just walk in, never had one with wifi though!
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

We had self catering, a lot cheaper than serviced
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

When i first came to Welly stayed in a self service apartment at Southern Cross on Abel Smith St Southern Cross Apartments [Official Site]

Pro's - it was in CBD so easy walk anywhere - cheap - and able to book online before arriving in nz

Con's - bar next door is loud as! so might affect your sleep. But ok for the short term

I then used Trade me to look for rentals and found one in 10 days. That was just a room in a flatshare but you can find whole houses to rent on same site
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, I'm stunned how much help and advice you've all taken the time to give. Just hope the visa process doesn't take too long as they want me to start pretty quickly!
Old Nov 27th 2014, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

Hi, we stayed in a rental apartment, much cheaper than a hotel and it had all the amenities we needed including washing machine, dishwasher etc etc
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks Guys! Still waiting for the actual job offer now after them asking if it was OK to contact my references (including current employer!). It's been a week and half now, I sent an email just asking where they were with the process and no reply It's with Inland Revenue, so I'm hoping they're just slow and the process is a little different than in the UK.
Fingers crossed still though!
Old Dec 9th 2014, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Me again! Can anyone enlighten me as to timescales in NZ for getting job offers? The employer has contacted my referees after being told I was their preferred candidate (including my current employer!) and it's been 10 days and not heard anything? I don't want to seem push and chase after them as it may just be a cultural thing. Any advice gratefully received, it's for the Inland Revenue in Wellington.
Cheers
Old Dec 9th 2014, 8:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scubamonkey
Me again! Can anyone enlighten me as to timescales in NZ for getting job offers? The employer has contacted my referees after being told I was their preferred candidate (including my current employer!) and it's been 10 days and not heard anything? I don't want to seem push and chase after them as it may just be a cultural thing. Any advice gratefully received, it's for the Inland Revenue in Wellington.
Cheers
Someone else has this question too, here's the link:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...se-may-847257/

It's maddeningly slow, especially for anyone who also needs to apply for a visa as well.

As you will see if you click on the link and read it, the OP, Stephen Jones did chase up his prospective NZ employer via e-mail.

It's up to you but next week the end of year Christmas/Summer shut down will start. (My husband works for an NZ Govt Dept and they close for Christmas/Summer/New Year next Friday, 19th December and won't re-open until 5th January. )

Basically, if you haven't heard anything from them with or without prompting from you it's unlikely that you will hear from them until 5th January at the earliest.

Sounds crazy doesn't it ? It's just the way it goes in New Zealand.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 9th 2014 at 8:23 am. Reason: Christmas/Summer shut down
Old Dec 9th 2014, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
We had self catering, a lot cheaper than serviced
I don't get that - serviced apartments are self catering places. Usually a cross between apartment and hotel room with your own kitchen and laundry facilities. The 'serviced' part just means they are cleaned and beds made on a daily basis like a hotel room would be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.