Reload this Page >

Finance help pls, Leaving NZ Sadly

Finance help pls, Leaving NZ Sadly

Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:43 am
Just Joined

professor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finance help pls, Leaving NZ Sadly

Hey Guys

Hope someone here can help me. Sadly due to family issues i am returning to UK for foreseeable future (8-10yrs) Need some advice...

I have a car on finance, i am 2.5yrs into the arrangement which i think is a 5yr plan (sorry away from home this week so cant check papers til Friday eve).
This of course makes my worry how i can end or sort car finance out? How does it work in NZ please, sadly i have no savings etc so cant afford to pay off the finance to sell car So how does it work? Can i somehow agree with finance company to sell it and pay them? Do they sell it for me? Do they just take car back and i lose my share of 2.5yrs of payments?!

Really worried over this, thanks
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:54 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finance help pls, Leaving NZ Sadly

Originally Posted by professor View Post
Hey Guys

Hope someone here can help me. Sadly due to family issues i am returning to UK for foreseeable future (8-10yrs) Need some advice...

I have a car on finance, i am 2.5yrs into the arrangement which i think is a 5yr plan (sorry away from home this week so cant check papers til Friday eve).
This of course makes my worry how i can end or sort car finance out? How does it work in NZ please, sadly i have no savings etc so cant afford to pay off the finance to sell car So how does it work? Can i somehow agree with finance company to sell it and pay them? Do they sell it for me? Do they just take car back and i lose my share of 2.5yrs of payments?!

Really worried over this, thanks
Depends who you are with:

I had a car with MTF - they gave me a settlement figure, stuck the car on trade me - Guy who bought it paid me then I Paid off the loan. It is tricky though - MTF would not obviously transfer the ownership until they were paid, and most buyers are canny enough to check if there is money owing.

I also have a new Bike with MTF which will be paid off in December. I told them we were going to Oz, but the bike is with my Father in law in Napier - they are fine with that. Will bring it over when it is paid for.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:02 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

A bloke I know filled his container with stuff on tick when he decided to return to UK.
never told anyone, just upped and offed.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve View Post
A bloke I know filled his container with stuff on tick when he decided to return to UK.
never told anyone, just upped and offed.
I am sorry to say that I have known lots of Antipodeans who did that when leaving the UK over the past few years. It was so easy back in the days when you could run up £20k on credit cards without the banks batting an eye (and could also get a decent exchange rate for your GBP).