Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ferry - Interislander or BlueBridge

Ferry - Interislander or BlueBridge

Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ferry - Interislander or BlueBridge

I'm making some bookings now so we can be the right time and place to meet people. Looking at ferries from Wellington to Picton there's two companies. Is there much difference? Interislander is going to cost us $70 more as all the cheaper seats for our preferred sailing are gone but it gives the I pression of bei a better company.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

m0rk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ferry - Interislander or BlueBridge

I sat outside (wrapped up) when we made that sailing in Jan '10 - so seat choice might not matter

It's a really pretty crossing once you're inland, and for the bit that's out in the open sea you might as well be outside as it's choppy!
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

Interislander has been fine - we've been on it a few times as its always been cheaper for our vehicle size. But it can get crowded and once we had to sit in the canteen which wasn't good (food smells and a big swell!).
I don't know about the Bluebridge - someone will be able to tell you - but I would take it for $70 less!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

The only time I've done the crossing so far ( back in 2009) we used the Interislander (the Kaitaki). I spent 95% of the time outside enjoying the view as it was gorgeous weather so didn't appreciate the facilities, I've heard the crossing can be pretty awful in winter though.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

bluespidermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Bluebridge was so much cleaner and more modern and cheaper for us - definitely Bluebridge over interislander!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

We used Bluebridge recently and they were excellent. We did an overnight sail (0230 am), but they let us board at 2330. We'd also booked a 4-berth cabin for $60. That was great, clean, and allowed us to hit the road straight away when we got to Picton.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

If Bluebridge is Straits shipping they are way cheaper than the interislander, it was mainly used by commercial vehicles when we used it last.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I went on the Kaitaki back in 2003 - a very long time ago

That was when it sailed from Portsmouth to Cherbourg

I'm led to believe Bluebridge are better and look a bit cheaper from the prices. However, I haven't used either as I generally fly into Wellington and book a hire car there.

I will do the crossing one day as the Sounds up in Picton are stunning
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we've gone with Bluebridge and the overnight sleeper option as husband preferred to do that and save a nights motel fee. Hope it's not a great viewing day or two as we'll only see it in the dark
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

samboka1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We went on the Interislander in Jan-13, was lovely crossing however we did notice that the ship was called (Previously) The pride of Cherborg and this I remember catching from Dover to France around 20 years ago!!!!!!

They must have shipped it over, the décor hasn't changed much, reminded me of my old school trips to France
sam
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by samboka1975
Hi,

We went on the Interislander in Jan-13, was lovely crossing however we did notice that the ship was called (Previously) The pride of Cherborg and this I remember catching from Dover to France around 20 years ago!!!!!!

They must have shipped it over, the décor hasn't changed much, reminded me of my old school trips to France
sam
Not sure that you would have seen Pride of Cherborg on the Dover run. She sailed out of Portsmouth to Cherborg whilst it was in P&O Ferries fleet with her sister ship. She is in New Zealand on charter to Interislander and is still registered in UK. There were two more, slightly bigger, that did the portsmouth to Le Havre service. Their four names were all Pride of: Cherborg, Le Havre, Portsmouth and Hampshire. Not sure who actually owns the ship now.

By the way, Bluebridge vessels take slightly longer for the passage between Wellington and Picton, and generally have less facilities on board. Their service is also less frequent, factors to be aware of when booking.