Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Being mortgage free bumps your salary by at least $20K (+++) by my reckoning- so for all intents and purposes your head's above $100K.
Factor in that $20k mortgage is being paid from take home pay, so that's at least $30k before tax.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Factor in that $20k mortgage is being paid from take home pay, so that's at least $30k before tax.

Velly intellesting as I'd agree with this
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:50 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paula, I'm really hoping you get settled in very soon. It must be quite overwhelming, but I can already see a support system building here on BE for you Here's hoping things take a turn for the better for you.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Being mortgage free bumps your salary by at least $20K (+++) by my reckoning- so for all intents and purposes your head's above $100K.
Hmmm, I wonder how something like the 'Working For Families' (WFF) tax credit for a family with 3 children might also affect such calculations? WFF just never seems to rate a mention in these threads about how comfortably some manage to live here, so surely the WFF effect, if any, must be negligible?

Say one earns $85,000 - how about we just see what surely-tiny difference having added 3 (or 4, or more, just for 'fun') children to the world population might make to ones pocket in bonus tax credits each week compared to having added say only 0, 1 or 2 of same....

https://interact2.ird.govt.nz/forms/famcalc2009/

Last edited by Black Sheep; Oct 20th 2009 at 1:26 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:46 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Hi Paula, I have to say I feel much the same as you and we haven't even reached 2 weeks yet!! We can't find anywhere to rent and if we do find a half decent place by the time we've gone off to chat about it, its been taken!!! We are feeling disillusioned, disappointed and depressed. I'm sure it won't last but like you we thought we had done the research but everything is soooo expensive. We came over expecting to find a rental for $400 pw now we are looking at places which are $480 and still struggling to find any to view. Good luck to you, I'm sure if there was more sun we would all feel better. Bevissa xx
as far as getting good cheap rentals then this has always been the way in my experience - we used to get the paper from the publishers before it was delivered and organise the viewings ASAP otherwise the good stuff was long gone.
We have a good little rental within 5 minutes (back uphill!!) of the beach and park and 15 minute walk to one of the best primary schools in the area and we pay $380, 3 beds, big rumpus and office and good garage. Garden is not massive, big enough to put the trampoline in and have a few fruit trees. But all OK otherwise - check out some of the Hibiscus Coast stuff if you can live with any commnute - cheaper than the Shore and less "pressured". But not perfect for everyone. Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:48 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Velly intellesting as I'd agree with this
more like $35k+ if you want to take home $20k from an income over $85k, where you are most certainly on the higher rate of tax.......so good on ya Genesis you are getting richer as we speak.......
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:49 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by lardyl
more like $35k+ if you want to take home $20k from an income over $85k, where you are most certainly on the higher rate of tax.......so good on ya Genesis you are getting richer as we speak.......
but *we* knew that all along..........
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

Hey Paula, and all others feeling low. Regardless of minimum salaries ets, you have just moved to the other side of the world and are starting again. You are having to buy all sorts of stuff normally spread out over a year, in just a few weeks. Those loo brushes, bottles of bleach, herbs, spices, flours etc all make the first few months very expensive. I am sure that things will settle down financially, I know we are getting there now after 3 months although the lovely Mr H didn't find work for 9 weeks. You do have to shop differently here - the veg shop for fruit veg and milk, Pak n Save for most other stuff, butchers for meat, nappy shop for nappies - I feel like I am shopping everyday!! But there are lots of great things to do here that don't cost much. We're in Auckland and love the fact we are two minutes drive from the beach and all it costs us is the ingredients in the homemade cakes we take down to snack on as we go off to explore rockpools.

We struggled to find a good rental and had to shift the areas we were looking at. Finding friends is hard but I think sports activities is the way to go and taking up any offer to meet new people. This is something we didn't do in the UK but here, if someone said oh my cousin lives in Auckland you must look her up - we made sure we did. And it has worked out ok. I get down and grumpy, missing my friends, especially with two very yound kids at home. But I know we can get through this and have a much happier, healthier life here - maybe not forever but certainly for a few years.

I'm in Sunnynook on the North Shore if anyone is lonely up my way
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

brjango is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The harrisons
Hello everyone,
We arrived just four weeks ago and have settled in Flatbush, Manukau City. My husband David already had a job offer at Middlemoore Hospital and Flatbush is easily commutable.
We literally had 2 weeks to sort out accommodation and transport etc...and I feel we've made some bad choices already regarding our location. I dream't of a little villa in the country and we've found ourselves on a massive housing estate with little or no community spirit to be found.
We are really concerned with how expensive just about everything is and are worrying about our financial situation here. Back at home in the UK, I felt that I'd put a lot of research into emigrating through media and the internet and I really feel like we've been led astray. I purchased many books, one of which is entitled " Where to live in Auckland'. According to My husbands wages we fall into a population profile of 'Elite Professionals' and 'Comfortable and Secure" however I feel it couldn't be further than the truth!!!
It really isn't my intention to come over as a whinging pom, I'm just really worried and concerned that things here aren't quite as we'd expected or hoped.
We have managed to do some sightseeing and NZ is without any doubt a beautiful country and the people very helpful and friendly.
It would be great if there are any other newcomers in the surrounding area, to meet up for a chat to share concerns and advise and a little support.
I look forward to hearing from you as I could really do with a friend right now. Paula.

Hi Paula
Welcome to NZ. Really sorry that you're feeling disillusioned! I can tell you I felt that way all the way back in early 2000 when I completed my medical degree.

You mentioned reading guide books. While there is some element of truth in those, one can also find plenty of misleading information. Unfortunately, the facts are these: the wages in NZ are generally low compared to many western countries, and the tax is quite high, currently at 19.5%.
This in turn creates a bad balance for the tax-payer because the cost of living is quite high too.

Basically, you've got 3 options:
1) Stay in NZ and gradually adapt to the kiwi way
2) Back to the UK, though I'm certain you left for similar reasons as me
3) Stay in NZ for a bit more to save some money and move to Australia.

What ever your decision feel free to PM me, and I'll try to help as best as I can.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Picking up again on the cost of things from this post, I wouldn't want anyone to be lead astray, small shops in small towns are way more expensive than the larger supermarkets. It's something more of that learning curve in knowing where to shop - it can make a vast difference on the cost of a trolley load of shopping. Clearly if you have no choice and live in a small town with little choice you have no alternatives, but if you can, it would pay dividends to head farther afield on occasion to stock up, especially on non-perishables to save dollars.

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim
I'm sorry to hear you are finding it difficult we arrived on a reccie last Fri we stayed in Whatawhata first 2 days and found the supermarket really expensive went into Hamilton it wasn't too bad cost wise then flew down to South Island which we have found much cheaper. Asparagus in North Island was £4.99 down here it was $1.99 big difference (a small maybe silly example)
Is what you will hear many times on here about buying seasonal produce. Your point is well made and this is a perfect example of how it works. That drop in price will have happened all over the country due to the season peaking for that product about now. It's really nothing to do with one Island or place being more expensive than another and many people actually comment that a lot of things on the South Island can be more expensive due to transport costs.

Three to four weeks ago when the new season's asparagus first came into the shops it was up there at $4 to $5 a bunch, the following week you could get 2 bunches for $5, last week I paid $3.99 for two and this week in Pak n Save they're doing 2 for $3.50. You get to the point where they're almost giving stuff away as the market is flooded with the crops and then it drifts back up again as the supply reduces. Then something else will come along and take its place, bring on the stawberries and corn on the cobs.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Oct 21st 2009 at 10:42 am.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I would agree with the above. Apart from the rentals Auckland is no more expensive than other towns. Those who say Auckland is expensive have probably never lived there. In fact, I'd rather have the choice available in Auckland then live in a one-horse town.

I also think you should stay around Auckland as the culture shock might be greater if you were to move to the country. At least you have choices in the city, not so in small, country places. There are loads of pleasant coffee shops, pubs and shops around Auckland and it is worth searching for them.

When we first arrived we were all over NZ and nearly giving up on the country until we found the North Shore. Then we also found many great places around Auckland, which was the last place we moved to.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by whitesand
I would agree with the above. Apart from the rentals Auckland is no more expensive than other towns. Those who say Auckland is expensive have probably never lived there. In fact, I'd rather have the choice available in Auckland then live in a one-horse town.

I also think you should stay around Auckland as the culture shock might be greater if you were to move to the country. At least you have choices in the city, not so in small, country places. There are loads of pleasant coffee shops, pubs and shops around Auckland and it is worth searching for them.

When we first arrived we were all over NZ and nearly giving up on the country until we found the North Shore. Then we also found many great places around Auckland, which was the last place we moved to.
yeah love the north shore, I love the jungle-like environment there. Lots of native trees and busy, lush.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
yeah love the north shore, I love the jungle-like environment there. Lots of native trees and busy, lush.
I think some people avoid Auckland because they get more points on EOI if settling outside Auckland...wonder why?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:53 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there
We to have only been here 4 weeks in Tauranga we are finding it very difficult. We have residency. I cannot even get a job interview I was under the impression that a job would not be to difficult to get ( i worked for a large water company in the U K ) but the companies here do not even reply to my emails or letters. Fortunately we have no children here and my wife is a nurse so we could move. But to where ? And would it be any better ? I think that both of you need to work here to get by.
The boredom is now setting in for me as my wife works shifts so i am spending a lot of time watching crap T V. What next ? I don't feel missed as we have been to New zealand before but things have changed here since our last visit six years ago ( I don't want to sound like a whinging pom). I do feel for you and understand your feelings. I don't know if returning to the U K is the answer at the moment i don't have one.I know people will tell us to give it more time but the vibes are not good. New Zealand is a beautiful place but that does not pay the bills. Lets just keep smiling and maybe give it until Christmas.

Last edited by bdclayton; Oct 25th 2009 at 8:56 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

I would add a few more pluses, my boss earns that and he's a good ten steps away from the top of the tree, he still complains he doesn't earn enough and that others of his peers in similar middle management ranks earn more than him. The CEO must be on $500k plus.

It's always interesting googling the Annual Report for the company you work for, because they are legally bound to publish the salary bands and numbers of of people that earn over $100k. The odd thing is that $100k was set in stone over a decade ago, as being an exceptionally high salary worthy of note - it's very out of date now! It's dead easy to spot the CEO and his / her entourage, when it shows one person earned $500k+ last year, three people earned $350k+ etc

I think it would be pretty hard to be led astray on what is and isn't a liveable income. You really do need to be packing in $100k plus if you have rent or mortgage to pay in Auckland and that figure has been bandied about as a 'minimum' ever since we were doing our research some 5 to 6 years ago. It needs updating and ought to be higher than that by now. Others will of course manage on less, if they have to, but it would be a very frugal existence and likely to be iin one of the lesser desirable areas.

Many of us have struggled with similar feelings of shock and horror at the cost of everything and wonder how we'll ever manage, but somehow we do. There are ways to reign in the expenses and first experiences here can be a very sharp learning curve in the art of stretching a dollar.

On first arrival the shopping bills are abnormally high and will settle down again once you re-built up stocks of all the basics and you soon learn to bulk buy the things you like when they are on special. Sad as it may seem!
Your boss must be a good story teller...10 steps away from the top, in middle management and on $250K....

There is a very small % of the population earning over $150K and a tiny fraction of those are the very high earners.

My wife is a CEO in the Pharmaceutical industry and is well aware of CEO salaries and they are rarely near 500K unless they are with the largest of NZ companies or international companies with country management roles here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.