Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

fancy taking my bike with me

fancy taking my bike with me

Old Jan 29th 2011, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future
Default Re: fancy taking my bike with me

We were originally just thinking of paying for several boxes to be sent over, but the more we look the more we're likely to be looking at a container... meaning I can put the bike in without paying for it to be separately shipped

Plus we can buy a new fridge/freezer and washing machine for our new place... we'll make sure they look a little used and remove them from the packaging!

My new employer will be paying $2200 towards shipping... I'll receive information next week re: which shipping company they use... so we can just pay the difference

Regarding putting it in... do you literally just put it in, strap her down and thats it? I only have a sidestand (not the most robust in the world either!) and was thinking my abba stand (secured to the floor) would be a better solution?

How rough does it get at sea?!

I need to look into container companies, how it works, etc. etc.

I've convinced myself that I will be bringing her now
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:32 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick78
How rough does it get at sea?! ....
Remember the BMWs washed up in Cornwall? It gets rough enough to chuck boxes off ships.
Personal effects containers are supposed to be loaded lower down, but tell that to the loadie at Harwich..
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Originally Posted by rick78
Regarding putting it in... do you literally just put it in, strap her down and thats it? I only have a sidestand (not the most robust in the world either!) and was thinking my abba stand (secured to the floor) would be a better solution?
When I was looking at shipping my bike from Aus everybody wanted it crated but that was as a part load not a full container.
I'de be tempted to get a crate that the new bikes get delivered in from your local dealer - should be available for beer money and ship it in that, its usually just front wheel out and strapped or bolted down into the crate, they are usually covered in a big cardboard box as well for extra protection. At least that way you'll be able to stack the 3 piece suite on top of it!
Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Mine flew with less than 1/4 of a tank of petrol when we went to Canada, so i did the same when I put it in the container to come here..
All other fluids I left as was. Disconnect and insulate the battery terminals though. I'd also advise dropping the tyre pressures a bit, but that's because of experience through working on storage of planes as opposed to anything being required.

Cheers mate. I wont be there, as i will be in NZ. The otherhalf will be tasked to load up the house stuff including the bike. Will the movers load my bike up sensibly do you think or will it be down to the other half?... Would'nt want to have it damaged..
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

They should crate it for you, you have to drain ALL petrol out of it but you can leave in engine oil/brake fluid/coolant

Neil
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
They should crate it for you, you have to drain ALL petrol out of it but you can leave in engine oil/brake fluid/coolant

Neil
Thanks mate.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Just got a quote from some company for shipping bike... 640GBP and insurance on top. They pickup, drain, prepare and package and ship... seemed reasonable... although you do tend to get a distorted value of money when looking at how much it costs for this process!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
anyone had any experinece shipping in a race preped bike ?
its never been registered and don't want it to be.. purley a track day bike...
any idea's on restrictions / importing .. ??