Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

fancy taking my bike with me

fancy taking my bike with me

Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

snodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nice
Default fancy taking my bike with me

what is the process in taking your motorbike or car with you to nz?
i heard or read somewhere if your a first time immigrant to nz you dont have tax to pay on your vehicle is this true or if not what happened to you when you took your car or motorbike to new zealad ?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

2005mike71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: fancy taking my bike with me

Hi, i've been looking into the same thing.

You will find quite a bit of info on kiwibiker, i was told about it from someone on here a few days ago and its a pretty good forum.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...NZ-from-the-UK
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If you have owned the bike for more than 12 months before it arrives you do not pay gst.
If you have owned it for less than 12 months you pay gst on the cost of the bike,
the cost of shipping th bike and the cost of insuring the bike while its on its way here.
You then need to have a compliance test, usually nothing more than new pads
that are NZ compliant.
you can then get a warrant and rego and away you go
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:42 am
Just Joined

LOHDYNA has a spectacular aura aboutLOHDYNA has a spectacular aura aboutLOHDYNA has a spectacular aura about

We bought our bikes with us, you will need your documents log books and proof of purchase, how much you paid and when. also your VIN numbers. Keep all these on you as you will need them as proof before you can get them from customs. there is a customs fee for inspection It will cost you about $300 to get them road tested, and then wait for it over $500 to get them on the road this is what we know as road tax which includes ACC (accident cover) which has gone up on motorcycles and your new registration. If you love your bike like we do it is still worth bringing them as they are expensive to purchase here. I still need to sort out insurance if anyone is reading this and can give me an idea who to get a quote from i would appreciate it.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I brought mine . Bring it. What is it?

Jan
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

snodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nicesnodger is just really nice

Honda vfr 800 vtec
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Nice get it in the container and bring it, perfect bike for over here

Jan
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

matchbox51 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a permanent job offer with a relocation package, will stay in a motel until I find a suitable rent with garage. I would like to bring my 1951 Matchless but not sure about storage or trying to keep the original uk number.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by matchbox51
I've got a permanent job offer with a relocation package, will stay in a motel until I find a suitable rent with garage. I would like to bring my 1951 Matchless but not sure about storage or trying to keep the original uk number.
You won't be able to keep the same reg. BUT if you type the existing reg into plates.co.nz you may find its available for sale, and cherished plates are cheap here compared to the UK.

If you put your bike in a container it won't arrive for 10 weeks or more anyway, by which time you may have found somewhere suitable

Jan
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

I'm also looking at bringing my bike over... can anyone suggest good/reputable shipping companies?

Its a Aprilia Falco and they seem to be quite expensive in NZ!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:38 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick78
I'm also looking at bringing my bike over... can anyone suggest good/reputable shipping companies?

Its a Aprilia Falco and they seem to be quite expensive in NZ!
If I was you i would search the spares situation first..... hard enough in this country....
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

What u trying to say? My Italian motor is the most reliable bike in the world!

Joking aside... good point... I'd love to take it over, they're a lot more expensive there. Maybe I should revert back to Japanese bikes... I wonder if they're priced more realistically

Better look at trademe...
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

My hibby brought his, but he now regrets it. It cost a lot of money, had to get a new highlight because it failed WOF $1000.00
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah... thats the problem.

My bike is standard apart from aftermarket exhausts and a chip in the ECU (goes like stink now!). I could probably sell her for 3k here at a push, maybe more like 2.5k. These bikes go for around 7k over there... so maybe once I've factored in the shipping, registration, MAF costs and any ammendments (I imagine I'd have to return her to standard trim) it may not be worth my while.

Its a difficult one.

The headlight should be ok... its a UK spec one so should be identical to NZ.

Decisions decisions! Maybe its a good time to have a change...
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:34 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick78
(I imagine I'd have to return her to standard trim) it may not be worth my while....
Mine passed all checks with race cans, aftermarket discs, renthal bars, braided hoses, and a bigger engine fitted (1300 in a 1200 frame.) It doesn't have to be standard, just up to New Zealand standards.
The economic situation, time of year, advertising etc mat mean it takes a while to sell. You're then buying an unknown entity here if you don't buy new.

How much do you love it? That's normally the decider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.