Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Extended visits to family - Maximum stay?

Extended visits to family - Maximum stay?

Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all
Default Extended visits to family - Maximum stay?

My son, D/in Law and 4 grandchildren are moving from the UK to NZ (Auckland) this year. I will be 60 and self employed / retired with enough funds to spend plenty of time over in NZ - I'm just trying to find out what the limits are though? I have been told it would be six months in NZ and then I'd have to do six months out to be able to qualify for another six months in - is that the best I could do or are there other ways round it?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:41 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extended visits to family - Maximum stay?

Originally Posted by justinthyme
My son, D/in Law and 4 grandchildren are moving from the UK to NZ (Auckland) this year. I will be 60 and self employed / retired with enough funds to spend plenty of time over in NZ - I'm just trying to find out what the limits are though? I have been told it would be six months in NZ and then I'd have to do six months out to be able to qualify for another six months in - is that the best I could do or are there other ways round it?

You are allowed in on a 6 month Visitors Visa, which you can extend to 9 months. NZIS say you are allowed to spend up to 9 months in every 18 months in NZ.

Have you considered the possibilty of looking for a job? Don't know what your trade is but if you have a skill, someone will employ you and then you can apply for a work Visa for the term of your contract

If your Son and his family are your only children then when they have had residency for 2 years, they can sponsor you thru the family stream. You have to be able to show that the "centre of yoyr world" is in NZ !!

Hope this helps

Sarah
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply Sarah - looks like I may have to do 9 month trips instead. I was hoping to do UK winters in NZ and NZ winters in UK but....

As for working I was hoping to buy a boat and do some fishing, sailing and treking with a few beach barbies thrown in...it didn't seem to leave a lot of time for work ;-)

As for the family stream - I also have a son in the UK so I think that's out?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding the Family Stream

The key thing is that the centre of gravity of your family (50%) has to be in NZ... So if you have 2 children and one lives in NZ then you have the 50% and can apply.

If you have 3 children, then you need 2 to be living in NZ etc

cheers

Paul
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p__sullivan
Regarding the Family Stream

The key thing is that the centre of gravity of your family (50%) has to be in NZ... So if you have 2 children and one lives in NZ then you have the 50% and can apply.

If you have 3 children, then you need 2 to be living in NZ etc

cheers

Paul

To apply for what - visitors or work visa.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

To apply for the family stream

A specific catagory, if you are a parent and teh majority (50%) of your children are permanent redidents or citizens of NZ.

Paul
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:07 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=justinthyme;4260032]Thanks for the reply Sarah - looks like I may have to do 9 month trips instead. I was hoping to do UK winters in NZ and NZ winters in UKQUOTE]

If it's a 6 month visitors visa then you could do 6months UK then 6months NZ as said by other poster before if you can only do the 9 months in every 18 months. So surely you'd be better off to spend half year in each country

Mandie