British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Extended visits to family - Maximum stay? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/extended-visits-family-maximum-stay-417412/)

justinthyme Jan 7th 2007 4:54 pm

Extended visits to family - Maximum stay?

My son, D/in Law and 4 grandchildren are moving from the UK to NZ (Auckland) this year. I will be 60 and self employed / retired with enough funds to spend plenty of time over in NZ - I'm just trying to find out what the limits are though? I have been told it would be six months in NZ and then I'd have to do six months out to be able to qualify for another six months in - is that the best I could do or are there other ways round it?

P2L Jan 7th 2007 5:41 pm

Re: Extended visits to family - Maximum stay?

Originally Posted by justinthyme (Post 4257455)
My son, D/in Law and 4 grandchildren are moving from the UK to NZ (Auckland) this year. I will be 60 and self employed / retired with enough funds to spend plenty of time over in NZ - I'm just trying to find out what the limits are though? I have been told it would be six months in NZ and then I'd have to do six months out to be able to qualify for another six months in - is that the best I could do or are there other ways round it?

You are allowed in on a 6 month Visitors Visa, which you can extend to 9 months. NZIS say you are allowed to spend up to 9 months in every 18 months in NZ.

Have you considered the possibilty of looking for a job? Don't know what your trade is but if you have a skill, someone will employ you and then you can apply for a work Visa for the term of your contract

If your Son and his family are your only children then when they have had residency for 2 years, they can sponsor you thru the family stream. You have to be able to show that the "centre of yoyr world" is in NZ !!:)

Hope this helps

Sarah

justinthyme Jan 8th 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Sarah - looks like I may have to do 9 month trips instead. I was hoping to do UK winters in NZ and NZ winters in UK but....

As for working I was hoping to buy a boat and do some fishing, sailing and treking with a few beach barbies thrown in...it didn't seem to leave a lot of time for work ;-)

As for the family stream - I also have a son in the UK so I think that's out?

p__sullivan Jan 11th 2007 9:17 am

Regarding the Family Stream

The key thing is that the centre of gravity of your family (50%) has to be in NZ... So if you have 2 children and one lives in NZ then you have the 50% and can apply.

If you have 3 children, then you need 2 to be living in NZ etc

cheers

Paul

Boopy Jan 11th 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by p__sullivan (Post 4270012)
Regarding the Family Stream

The key thing is that the centre of gravity of your family (50%) has to be in NZ... So if you have 2 children and one lives in NZ then you have the 50% and can apply.

If you have 3 children, then you need 2 to be living in NZ etc

cheers

Paul

To apply for what - visitors or work visa.

p__sullivan Jan 11th 2007 6:08 pm

To apply for the family stream

A specific catagory, if you are a parent and teh majority (50%) of your children are permanent redidents or citizens of NZ.

Paul

Mandie Jan 11th 2007 7:07 pm

[QUOTE=justinthyme;4260032]Thanks for the reply Sarah - looks like I may have to do 9 month trips instead. I was hoping to do UK winters in NZ and NZ winters in UKQUOTE]

If it's a 6 month visitors visa then you could do 6months UK then 6months NZ as said by other poster before if you can only do the 9 months in every 18 months. So surely you'd be better off to spend half year in each country

Mandie :)