Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Exporting car from NZ

Exporting car from NZ

Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:35 am
Banned

choccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nice
Default Exporting car from NZ

Just wanted to inform that I exported my Toyota Surf from NZ to the UK and it was all extremely hassle free. Bit fed up that my agent told me it was best not to cram it with our stuff because UK-side they said that would have been no problem and there wouldn't be any issues about tax, VAT etc on our own stuff over 6 months old. Anyway, we shared a container, they built a frame around it and filled up with somebody else's stuff (we sold all our things in NZ, not that we had anything much). Surf arrived with two minor bits of damage from abrasion but not enough to bother me. I've got a couple of stone chip damage bits to respray this summer so I'll probably touch up then. BTW Toyota got me the same colour + lacquer for about £10.

So - exporter did the paperwork in NZ, importer did the paperwork in UK, picked up the Surf a few months later. No VAT or import tax because over 10 years old and privately owned for more than 6 months.

Drove to Toyota in Cornwall, they fitted rear fog lamp. Not necessary to convert KM odometer to miles. One MOT later, went to DVLA to register car and picked up paperwork for registration and number plate a couple of days later.

Bob was my uncle

Been happily puntering around Cornwall the last 18 months. Cost about £1200 all in so debatable whether you would want to do this on cost reasons alone.

But - we knew the car was reliable, had been serviced properly, was genuine low mileage. Also worth getting servicing fully up to scratch in NZ and even going OTT (eg we changed timing belt early) because it's at least twice as much for the same work in UK.

I'd recommend it and the hassle factor was zero really.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:00 am
Banned

choccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nice
Default Re: Exporting car from NZ

Forgot to say that we could have got about NZD14000-16000 for the Surf at the time, we were running pretty close to GBP1 = NZD3 at the time so call it £5-5500. Maybe more from private sale.

Similar age and spec Surfs in the UK were about £7000 (down to £6000-6500 now).

So not such a bad deal after all.

Last edited by choccydog; Dec 27th 2007 at 8:13 am.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:11 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting car from NZ

Originally Posted by choccydog
Forgot to say that we could have got about NZD14000-16000 for the Surf at the time, we were running pretty close to GBP1 = NZD at the time so call it £5-5500. Maybe more from private sale.

Similar age and spec Surfs in the UK were about £7000 (down to £6000-6500 now).

So not such a bad deal after all.
I'm sure I have looked back over old threads and found you in your first re-incarnation, it's been a while since you posted on here, hasn't it?
Anyway, welcome back and happy posting