Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Experienced shippers please share your wisdom

Experienced shippers please share your wisdom

Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice
Default Experienced shippers please share your wisdom

... about BOXES!!!!!

Do you need to use the special "double strength" boxes for international shipping, or will the ones salvaged from the supermarket and work deliveries do just as well?

I don't mind paying extra for heavy duty cardboard packing boxes if it makes a difference, but we are doing this on a shoestring (as are so many others) so was wondering if this was a corner we could cut .

xxx
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice
Default Re: Experienced shippers please share your wisdom

Hi Pinkkat75
We have been through the moving thing and we used a removal company, not cheap. If you want to bring stuff over though they will insist on their boxes and packing it for you , for customs reasons. We have spent a fortune getting our stuff over here and our still waiting (arrived 20th jan). My advice to you would be , if you have the time sell all you can on ebay or car boots bring the things that are special. Family heirlooms, Pictures , etc and buy the rest when you get here . We were told you can not buy everything in NZ , This is true and the reason is that if you do not need it ,you cannot buy it , NZ is not consumer led and nobody is bothered how big your house is or how much stuff you fill it with. But the main reason for selling and buying new here is you will have the stuff when you need it and you are not waiting for a ship to come in and then maf to clear it. Most of the shops over here have a sale on each week and you just have to wait until the item is on special. Or you can do what we did and bargain with the store, we managed an extra 10% off.
Hope this helps regards Gozzy
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:28 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
My shippers used a mixture of both. I had had to pack and move my stuff within the UK before coming here so most of my stuff was already boxed as I'd left most of it packed up. The packer had a look and was happy with most of it. Got him to pack my computer properly but the rest was in boxes I'd scavenged from work. Though I did use the thicker ones used to transport tins of dog food
Sue
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

We used old boxes from previous moves and packed ourselves. But as above post the removals may insist on their boxes and packing for customs /MAF approval.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:34 am
Tauranga

chubnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We used 7 seas world wide, they deliver the boxes and collect when you have packed, 6 boxes cost us about £500 and you can put up to 40 kilos in each. The bonus for us was they sent tax rebate forms and i got £1600 back. I put my works address on boxes for delivery and rang office up when we arrived and changed addresses, no problem. Boxes arrived a week early so i highly recommend them, Have a look at their website and see what you think. We were on a shoestring as well. Good luck