Ethnicicity

Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ethnicicity

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
No! It just makes filling in forms a pain in the arse. I had to make a statutory declaration that I'd never been a citizen of the country I was born in!

Thanks to everyone that's contributed. Some interesting perspectives and food for thought there.
Seriously?? I got a couple of funny looks at my UAE place of birth when I was at New Zealand house but I have a birth certificate from the British Consulate and of course a British passport and that seemed to suffice. He did look confused though
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Always wondered what would have happened if my mum hadn't come back to the UK from Nigeria to have me born in a UK hospital?? I'd be a very pale Nigerian Would it have helped with my Immigration prospects to NZ ????
Not so much nowadays but very hard as I guess your mum wasn't able to pass on British citizenship (they had all those funny laws about only men being able to pass it onto children born overseas which is how I have my citizenship - it only changed in the last 15 years or so if that - otherwise I would have been the most white Arab baby ever too )

The difficultly comes in passing on British citizenship to your children if you weren't born here and they weren't born here too. I'm sure you know that though
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:45 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Sort of related...one of OH's cousins is married to a Scot of Indian descent. So, whatever, Scottish. Got the accent, loves his pies etc. However I noticed at the family wedding he was the only one not wearing a kilt, so I asked him about it, and he said the older generation don't like it when he does.
I've thought about this, but I can't work out which side of the family is objecting

Remember, kilts aren't just Scottish, they're even more specific, they're tied to the clan. As a Scot of Indian descent he'd probably have to create his own tartan!

WP
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
I've thought about this, but I can't work out which side of the family is objecting

Remember, kilts aren't just Scottish, they're even more specific, they're tied to the clan. As a Scot of Indian descent he'd probably have to create his own tartan!

WP
har. The scots side!

Yeah, but he's married into a clan..doesn't that count for something? Clan by shagging? I know he has a kilt that he wears to non-relatives' weddings, so I just thought it was odd he didn't wear it to family weddings. Have no idea what tartan it is though.

Edited to add: and it's def. a generational thing. The younger cousins couldn't give a rats.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:00 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
har. The scots side!

Yeah, but he's married into a clan..doesn't that count for something? Clan by shagging? I know he has a kilt that he wears to non-relatives' weddings, so I just thought it was odd he didn't wear it to family weddings. Have no idea what tartan it is though.

Edited to add: and it's def. a generational thing. The younger cousins couldn't give a rats.
Well it didn't help me. I was married to a Scot. I was ALWAYS the heathen sassenach. Mind you as an 'English' person I was never going to be allowed to wear a kilt. My kids were though, when they went to their Uncle's wedding.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

those scots, they don't hold a grudge at all do they?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:19 pm
Near the outer fringe

My ex-wife certainly does!!