Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Baby sitters and Nurseries

Baby sitters and Nurseries

Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:06 am
Just Joined

albertito0510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Baby sitters and Nurseries

Hi, I haven't submitted my EOI. I'm a still unsure if I would want to let go of my lifestyle here in Abu Dhabi. I have a 15month old son and I've struggled on getting some baby sitters from our country and live with us here in Abu Dhabi. I don't know with NZ policies, how do we get sitters? Are there any private nurseries accepting such a young age? Or all the while they may accept but my son would be on a waiting list? That was the case in some nurseries here. I'm afraid if we go there, how will be child care for us since both me and my husband will be busy finding a job???

Any advice?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:01 am
Just Joined

gvbjersey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby sitters and Nurseries

Good question.

I've got a 2 yo and one due in a couple of weeks so I'd like to know about this too, especially the costs involved, are they deductable too etc...?

Oh it all adds up..
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:11 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

So far I've noticed childcare centres, in home carers (care for a few kids at their own place) & nannies etc who care for kids in YOUR home. Looks like nannies are more expensive (have seen $5 - 7 per hour for in home carers and about $13 - 18 for nannies).

"Porse" seem to be all over "in home" child care there are probably others but I'm waiting til I get to Christchurch to really begin the search. I've used this in Australia (called Family Day Care over there) & totally recommend it over a childcare centre. It sometimes took a bit of trial and error with carers but we still keep in touch with the ones we settled with longer term and my daughter really bonded with them. I also found they were a bit more flexible re: hours than the centres.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of day centres / kindies

Example of prices here, where my friends kids go http://www.tots.co.nz/FeesPolicy/tab...9/Default.aspx

Note this bit about entitlements to 20 hours per week free childcare which might be of interest:

Government 20 hours of early childhood learning for eligible 3 and 4 year old children. This is available for up to 6 hours per day for a maximum of 20 hours per week. As xxx is an all day centre, fees will be charged for the days and hours when the 20 hours are not available. To be eligible for the 20 hours, an attestation form from the Ministry of Education must be completed and kept up to date.

http://www.workingforfamilies.govt.n...re-assistance/

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/move/education/early.html
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:19 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

Hi.. We arrived in NZ (Auckland) about a year ago, and got our, then 3 year old, into a Kindy in Orakei
The situation as mentioned earlier is that the first 20 hours are free and we pay $4 an hour over this.. the grand total per week is $16 - we paid £100 + per week in England. The downside is that the Kindy finishes at 2.30 pm every day so that makes the work situation difficult for one of us. Asked around regarding Nannies etc and they appear to be at the $17 per hour mark although I've not looked into any further than that yet .. was told that Barnados would be a good place to start making enquiries regarding Nannies etc.. BTW my little 'un has come on leaps and bounds over here.. kids are encouraged to be kids (a daft statement probably) but its all a little more relaxed than back in Blighty, encouraged to make your own mistakes etc etc.. he loves it
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:25 am
Just Joined

kiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nice

hi there

Private nurseries do have waiting lists i was still waiting after 7 months so in the end i have taken my daughter to a porse registed childminder she charges $5.50 an hour and only lives across the road so not far to take her also its not just the 8am-6pm hours that most nurseries offer. your son wont start kindy till he is 3ish depends on how long the waiting list is so is best to put his name down when he is nearly 2.
you could try ringing the citizens advice bureau they might be able to help with finding local places that you could take him.