English Chippy

Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:18 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Chippy

Originally Posted by SteveNZ
Well.... i wish I knew - though I do know that kiwi's think "proper" chips are soggy - as they are used the dried out salty sticks that pass for ships here
I had some fries in a Wendy burger joint (coffee spillage incident) and they were fairly grim - nothing to do with frozen I think, just fairly grim.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
I had some fries in a Wendy burger joint (coffee spillage incident) and they were fairly grim - nothing to do with frozen I think, just fairly grim.

Biddy, no, no and no you do not go to Wendy's for chips. You need to souce out a proper fish and chip shop. Try Blue Island in Moera, Lower Hutt. Fab F&C's. I can't believe everyone thinks the Fish and Chips are better in the UK, we think they are totally disgusting in the Uk and never eat them. I need you as a man on the ground to do some research and dispell this mith.
Get to work biddy
KAZ
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:06 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Biddy, no, no and no you do not go to Wendy's for chips. You need to souce out a proper fish and chip shop. Try Blue Island in Moera, Lower Hutt. Fab F&C's. I can't believe everyone thinks the Fish and Chips are better in the UK, we think they are totally disgusting in the Uk and never eat them. I need you as a man on the ground to do some research and dispell this mith.
Get to work biddy
KAZ
You don't think fresh chips are better than frozen
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:08 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on where did you try them I am thinking now, if you had had them in Leeds I doubt you would have thought that
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:09 pm

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

Wendy's "chips" are certaily VERRRRY grim - but still - out of many many many many many chippies I've tried in this great land of a long white cloud... I've still never found a chippy that serves real chips.

English Chippy Workflow:

1. Take potato (as grown in real soil)
2. Peel potato
3. cut potato into chips
4. Fry chipped potato
5. Add salt, vinegar and potentially also gravy and mushy peas.
6. eat. yum.

Kiwi Chippy Workflow:

1. Get bag of frozen McCain Chips
2. Open bag.
3. Pour bag contents into fryer
4. Fry until dry and nearly burnt, sorry, I mean, crunchy
5. add too much salt and nothing else
6. Eat - but reminisce about how chips were back home.....

If you have any suggestions in Auckland, I am willing to go try!!!

Incidently - anyone in Auckland - it's the Food Show at the showgrounds this weekend - if you've never been - then make the effort to check it out!!! - but BE WARNED - don;t eat beforehand!!!!!

(there's still no proper chips there though!)

Steve

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Get to work biddy
KAZ
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:30 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveNZ
Wendy's "chips" are certaily VERRRRY grim - but still - out of many many many many many chippies I've tried in this great land of a long white cloud... I've still never found a chippy that serves real chips.

English Chippy Workflow:

1. Take potato (as grown in real soil)
2. Peel potato
3. cut potato into chips
4. Fry chipped potato
5. Add salt, vinegar and potentially also gravy and mushy peas.
6. eat. yum.

Kiwi Chippy Workflow:

1. Get bag of frozen McCain Chips
2. Open bag.
3. Pour bag contents into fryer
4. Fry until dry and nearly burnt, sorry, I mean, crunchy
5. add too much salt and nothing else
6. Eat - but reminisce about how chips were back home.....

If you have any suggestions in Auckland, I am willing to go try!!!

Incidently - anyone in Auckland - it's the Food Show at the showgrounds this weekend - if you've never been - then make the effort to check it out!!! - but BE WARNED - don;t eat beforehand!!!!!

(there's still no proper chips there though!)

Steve
Hi Steve
Sorry I cant help you with real chips in the Auckland area but do know of several in CHCHC that still make them out of real potatoes. Nothing like lovely fat chips huh? We used to travel right across town to get them & they were even cooked in peanut oil which was a whole let more enjoyable than those done in the other muck.
Have managed to find a real english chippy here in Indiana but dont particularly like the chips as I find them way too greasy but still they are a lot better than the normal french fries on offer over here.
Terrible shame how so many places in NZ have taken to using frozen crinkle cut type chips these days. Guess its faster & cheaper for them huh? Do admit its hard to find a decent fish & chip shop at home but after not having them for so long anything from home taste good to me these days anyhow