Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are there folks new to NZ who work 2 jobs?

Are there folks new to NZ who work 2 jobs?

Old Jul 31st 2005, 4:56 am
Franklin

Default Are there folks new to NZ who work 2 jobs?

It seems to be an issue of lifestyle choice over money. But as someone pointed out, worry over paying bills can undermine the "lifestyle".

So, anyone working two jobs? Regular day job and an evening part time job? Maybe a weekend job?

Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: Are there folks new to NZ who work 2 jobs?

Originally Posted by Franklin
It seems to be an issue of lifestyle choice over money. But as someone pointed out, worry over paying bills can undermine the "lifestyle".

So, anyone working two jobs? Regular day job and an evening part time job? Maybe a weekend job?
Well, I am gonna be honest and say that my OH earns 3 figure salary and I may well be going back out to work as has got a little expensive to live here at the moment. Petrol high, food high etc etc etc. Which means we are no better off now here financially - which we were 2 years ago??? Roll on the lections - NATIONAL everybody - get rid O labour!!! (oh I can imagine the posts now......)
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:34 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Well, I am gonna be honest and say that my OH earns 3 figure salary and I may well be going back out to work as has got a little expensive to live here at the moment. Petrol high, food high etc etc etc. Which means we are no better off now here financially - which we were 2 years ago??? Roll on the lections - NATIONAL everybody - get rid O labour!!! (oh I can imagine the posts now......)
Sunshine where would you think of heading back to?

Petrol is high here but I spend the same on food every week, as I did in NZ, but get more bags (and not a processed item in sight) but our wages are huge compared to NZ... I alone have went from £70 pw (20 hrs) to £423 (35 hr week)... what a difference eh!! My rent is the same here as in NZ, difference being no sea view (miss my view).

Still trying to finish my lovely Scottish Rasperberries... yum yum
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scottish
Sunshine where would you think of heading back to?

Petrol is high here but I spend the same on food every week, as I did in NZ, but get more bags (and not a processed item in sight) but our wages are huge compared to NZ... I alone have went from £70 pw (20 hrs) to £423 (35 hr week)... what a difference eh!! My rent is the same here as in NZ, difference being no sea view (miss my view).

Still trying to finish my lovely Scottish Rasperberries... yum yum
Mebe we spend big??? Not compared to my sister in UK. In UK we would earn pounds90 for a 2 and a half day week?? here -errrr no! I love the nice things in life though......... sorrry - VERY superficial.....
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mebe we spend big??? Not compared to my sister in UK. In UK we would earn pounds90 for a 2 and a half day week?? here -errrr no! I love the nice things in life though......... sorrry - VERY superficial.....
Sorry guys - was being very negative last night as was very homeisck,and missing my folks and wallowing in a bit of self pity - bu all done now - enough of that - time to get on with living life. It IS better here, I know that - just wish my friends and family were here with me every now and then. Prepare yourselves for homesickness - when it comes on its horrible - luckily it doesn't seem to last for long - - just a couple a days, vie while its here but then goes away again - just as quickly?? Weird. Not everyone getis it though either. Anway, back to my old self on waking this morning and feeling cheery again - still miss me ma and pa though.....
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:23 pm
Franklin

Sorry guys - was being very negative last night as was very homeisck,and missing my folks and wallowing in a bit of self pity - bu all done now - enough of that - time to get on with living life. It IS better here, I know that - just wish my friends and family were here with me every now and then. Prepare yourselves for homesickness - when it comes on its horrible - luckily it doesn't seem to last for long - - just a couple a days, vie while its here but then goes away again - just as quickly?? Weird. Not everyone getis it though either. Anway, back to my old self on waking this morning and feeling cheery again - still miss me ma and pa though.....
We all go through these awful periods, doubting, and feeling gutted at being so far from family, friends, and things familiar, even the local pub, church ... take your pick. In my case I have been away so long it is less and less of a problem. But sometimes I am caught off guard. It is hard to have friends like one had back home. But maybe in NZ it is a bit different, perhaps there are more Brits around. Yes, they are not relatives and so it is not the same, but hang in there, it does get easier.

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

cornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura about

You would not have time for 2 jobs my husband already works 7.30 to 5 and he is a tradesman
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

We all go through these awful periods, doubting, and feeling gutted at being so far from family, friends, and things familiar, even the local pub, church ... take your pick. In my case I have been away so long it is less and less of a problem. But sometimes I am caught off guard. It is hard to have friends like one had back home. But maybe in NZ it is a bit different, perhaps there are more Brits around. Yes, they are not relatives and so it is not the same, but hang in there, it does get easier.
Thanks Franklin. Like I said to my friend earlier - nothing comes for free and the price we pay for living here is my 'mini melt down' every few months. I guess its not a big price to pay, and so I will just get used to it I suppose. I will always miss my folks and my best friend - always.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

I am finding the salary v cost of living hard here, to take on two jobs......just to survive, well where is the lifetsyle then?

We dont have the lifestyle with one job through poor salaries compared to cost of living, having to take two jobs would just make us question the point of being here even more.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

cornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rascal
I am finding the salary v cost of living hard here, to take on two jobs......just to survive, well where is the lifetsyle then?

We dont have the lifestyle with one job through poor salaries compared to cost of living, having to take two jobs would just make us question the point of being here even more.

How long have you been here?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Four years almost........still not got easier finacially!
high interest rates here, high cost of living compared to salary, high power bills, more than I have ever paid before for using less!
Still, its nice scenery here isn't it?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rascal
Four years almost........still not got easier finacially!
high interest rates here, high cost of living compared to salary, high power bills, more than I have ever paid before for using less!
Still, its nice scenery here isn't it?
If w could see it through the bloody rain at the moment....
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:59 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Scarey....... :scared: even taking into consideration the (understandable homesickness) it seems is that concensus is that the major problem is the high cost of electric / water / food and the poor wages and that these problems impact on the benefits of living in NZ.

It makes us take a different view on living in NZ,

1) We are going to have to save a bit more prior to leaving

2) Try and get an income from property in the UK,

3) Not view it as a permenant move....maybe view it as "See how we get along"....aim for two or three years in NZ

My main reason for wanting to live in NZ is that i love the outdoor life and travel and that living in NZ will make it so much easier to see the other parts of the world, Fiji, Oz, Papa new Guinea, South America etc.........

We are also infected with many relatives in NZ LOL
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:13 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Scarey....... :scared: even taking into consideration the (understandable homesickness) it seems is that concensus is that the major problem is the high cost of electric / water / food and the poor wages and that these problems impact on the benefits of living in NZ.

It makes us take a different view on living in NZ,

1) We are going to have to save a bit more prior to leaving

2) Try and get an income from property in the UK,

3) Not view it as a permenant move....maybe view it as "See how we get along"....aim for two or three years in NZ

My main reason for wanting to live in NZ is that i love the outdoor life and travel and that living in NZ will make it so much easier to see the other parts of the world, Fiji, Oz, Papa new Guinea, South America etc.........

We are also infected with many relatives in NZ LOL
Very good points. I figured that this issue could be highlighted using the catch phrase (but obviously a reality for many), "working two jobs". Yes, it is a concern. Brits are generally not used to working two jobs and I dare say few people work two jobs in NZ, but something to think about before moving to NZ.

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:28 am
livewire

I know plenty of people where their day job is just something they do to earn a bit of money and make some contacts. Their major incomes comes from the work they do on the side (sometimes in work's time) or from the lifestyle block or farm that they are working.

Plenty of money around, believe me, not all of it earned from a 9-5 though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.