Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Employment Verification

Employment Verification

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:05 pm
enilorac

Question Employment Verification

Hello guys - new user so please excuse any faux pas - I'm sure if I'm doing anything wrong one of you kind souls will put me right!

We are about ready to submit our EOI and I'm a bit nervous about putting a contact name on for my partner's employer as if they get wind of our intention to emigrate he'll be for the high jump quick smart and probably out of a job too! Can anybody tell me how employment is verified - do they ring your employer and tell them why they need to verify employment or is it like when you apply for a mortgage and they just ring to confirm that you actually work there without giving their reasons for enquiring? Oh by the way, his employment is verifiable, I have all sorts of documentary evidence so totally above board etc. Help please...my finger is hovering over the 'submit' button!

Last edited by enilorac; Apr 22nd 2005 at 5:37 pm.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:32 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment Verification

Originally Posted by enilorac
Hello guys - new user so please excuse any faux pas - I'm sure if I'm doing anything wrong one of you kind souls will put me right!

We are about ready to submit our EOI and I'm a bit nervous about putting a contact name on for my partner's employer as if they get wind of our intention to emigrate he'll be for the high jump quick smart and probably out of a job too! Can anybody tell me how employment is verified - do they ring your employer and tell them why they need to verify employment or is it like when you apply for a mortgage and they just ring to confirm that you actually work therewithout giving their reasons for enquiring? Oh by the way, his employment is verifiable, I have all sorts of documentary evidence so totally above board etc. Help please...my finger is hovering over the 'submit' button!
As far as I'm aware they won't check employment with the EOI, that should be pulled out of the pool quite quickly (as long as you have enough points), I think the real emplyment check comes with your application for residence - by which time it probably wont matter if your partners employer knows or not.

I'm pretty sure this is how it worked for us, and hopefully someone else can confirm or correct this!

Good Luck!

Biddy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:40 pm
Been In welly 7 years

Ianm41 is an unknown quantity at this point

As for EOI I am 99.9% certain they don't check up then...they did not for us...but for the ITA they probably will...we submited our ITA yesterday..well gave it to DHL to send to Dunedin for us...so we await with bated breath..
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:03 pm
Damages

Hi

It may not hurt to contact them and ask them directly about this. I am sure that they would fully understand your concerns in that regard. You will find that directly contacting people in NZ both in gov and commerce is very reassuring and they like to be helpful. It strikes me that it would be better to get a positive answer from them than a whole heap of "I reckon it should be ok" from us on the list.

It doesn't cost much to call.

Good Luck

Kind Regards

Ali

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Steve'N'Serena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ianm41
As for EOI I am 99.9% certain they don't check up then...they did not for us...but for the ITA they probably will...we submited our ITA yesterday..well gave it to DHL to send to Dunedin for us...so we await with bated breath..
Sorry to butt in, we are just doin the biz with the ITA, we are also hoping to move to Dunedin, is there anything you can tell us about the area to reassure us it's the right place...........Checked schools, they are all we could want with 16 ish per class, house prices seem ok, weather appearently sucks but that ok for me, it seems very safe. can you add to what we already know, getting a bit twitchy now thing appear to be moving forward..... !! What type of employment are you hoping for? do you already have a firm offer......Oh so many questions..............so little time!!!!.............hopefully
Steve :scared:
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:18 pm
enilorac

Originally Posted by Damages
Hi

It may not hurt to contact them and ask them directly about this. I am sure that they would fully understand your concerns in that regard. You will find that directly contacting people in NZ both in gov and commerce is very reassuring and they like to be helpful. It strikes me that it would be better to get a positive answer from them than a whole heap of "I reckon it should be ok" from us on the list.

It doesn't cost much to call.

Good Luck

Kind Regards

Ali
Thanks Ali, sounds like a plan to me! Don't know why I didn't think of it myself - my brains are scrambled at the minute! Thanks again.

Enilorac

Old May 30th 2005, 8:31 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Employment Verification

Hi everyone, first post! We're about to submit our EOI and will be claiming points for 10 years work experience. We have two problems with the work experience at the 10 year mark in that (a) half of the work experience for this employer was done before my husband got his qualification (he worked practically full time as well as doing an HND for two years, and (b) the guy he worked for, who was very shifty, has since disappeared off the planet! We've been told that he's returned to Greece but nobody knows where so all we've got to prove this employment is a tatty photocopy of a reference in really poor English - it looks very suspect! Does anybody have any idea if NZ will accept work experience before qualification and/or any ideas on how to verify this work experience? We visited NZ visa office in London to ask this and loads of other questions but they said they couldn't answer, it would be down to the person assessing it. This much stress at this stage! I'll be cabbaged by the time we arrive!
Old May 30th 2005, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve'N'Serena
Sorry to butt in, we are just doin the biz with the ITA, we are also hoping to move to Dunedin, is there anything you can tell us about the area to reassure us it's the right place...........Checked schools, they are all we could want with 16 ish per class, house prices seem ok, weather appearently sucks but that ok for me, it seems very safe. can you add to what we already know, getting a bit twitchy now thing appear to be moving forward..... !! What type of employment are you hoping for? do you already have a firm offer......Oh so many questions..............so little time!!!!.............hopefully
Steve :scared:
Thought you were going to BOP????? So glad we applied under the old system guys - it all sounds quite scarey and very stressful
Old May 30th 2005, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Hi everyone, first post! We're about to submit our EOI and will be claiming points for 10 years work experience. We have two problems with the work experience at the 10 year mark in that (a) half of the work experience for this employer was done before my husband got his qualification (he worked practically full time as well as doing an HND for two years, and (b) the guy he worked for, who was very shifty, has since disappeared off the planet! We've been told that he's returned to Greece but nobody knows where so all we've got to prove this employment is a tatty photocopy of a reference in really poor English - it looks very suspect! Does anybody have any idea if NZ will accept work experience before qualification and/or any ideas on how to verify this work experience? We visited NZ visa office in London to ask this and loads of other questions but they said they couldn't answer, it would be down to the person assessing it. This much stress at this stage! I'll be cabbaged by the time we arrive!

Hi there, welcome to the forum! We have verified Mel's experience by asking the human resources depts of the companies he worked for. We didn't need the names of bosses as all NZ need is the dates he was employed there, his job title and a brief description of duties along with his name on the same sheet.
I hope this helps!
fingers crossed for you!

Cathy.
Old May 30th 2005, 10:08 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nivlem
Hi there, welcome to the forum! We have verified Mel's experience by asking the human resources depts of the companies he worked for. We didn't need the names of bosses as all NZ need is the dates he was employed there, his job title and a brief description of duties along with his name on the same sheet.
I hope this helps!
fingers crossed for you!

Cathy.
Thanks for the quick response Cathy, but this Greek guy was a one-man band, we were lucky if Steve got paid every week, and when the guy left the country he left loads of debts and problems so seems to have made himself disappear. I very much doubt he maintained any paperwork. I think we're going to have not choice but to just rely on this really bad reference, so here's hoping!
Old May 30th 2005, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Steve'N'Serena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Thought you were going to BOP????? So glad we applied under the old system guys - it all sounds quite scarey and very stressful
That original post was back in April before we concidered the weather situation............plan 'B' Rotorua!!!...........I think Dunedin may be a bit tooooooooo chilly
Steve
Old May 30th 2005, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve'N'Serena
That original post was back in April before we concidered the weather situation............plan 'B' Rotorua!!!...........I think Dunedin may be a bit tooooooooo chilly
Steve
LOL, Yep - have a mate here in Rotorua who is from Dunedin, she says it gets really cold - although have to say - Rotorua is very bloody cold today!! Have managed to dry my washing on line though, but tonight is very cold. OH says Dunedin is Beautiful city though. I don't like to be too cold though. We are off to bed now - watched the Lions/All Blacks doco and now off to bed. Have a great day all in UK
Old May 31st 2005, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enilorac

We are about ready to submit our EOI and I'm a bit nervous about putting a contact name on for my partner's employer as if they get wind of our intention to emigrate he'll be for the high jump quick smart and probably out of a job too!
Your partner should see an employment lawyer in the UK (if that's where you from) - to my knowledge it's illegal to fire someone for simply expressing an interest in migrating.

Jeremy
Old May 31st 2005, 7:22 am
Not a Junior Member!

Lisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura about

You can get your employment dates verified from the tax office (I think it's in Sunderland). They will have all the dates from when you started work to where you are at present (so if there's any jobs you forogot about they'll remind you). If you just write and ask they'll send you a print out by return and it's free!

We found it really useful as we couldn't remember any exact dates of any of our jobs (old age and senility!).

Not too long for us now - looks like hubby may have to leave on a work visa and we'll follow on - his new employer wants him out there asap!
Old Jun 1st 2005, 5:38 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your partner should see an employment lawyer in the UK (if that's where you from) - to my knowledge it's illegal to fire someone for simply expressing an interest in migrating.

Jeremy
LOL...yes of course it is illegal Jeremy but that wouldn't stop them doing it and then where would we be!!!

The Company that he works for have a very poor record when it comes to employment law and we don't want to take any chances!!!

I've seen them fire people for a lot less and my response to my other half has always been "but they can't do that - its illegal" to which he always replies "they do what they like and if someone can be bothered to take them to court they'll see them there"!!!