Electrical work

Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical work

Did you know you can do your own electrical work in your own home (not your rental though)? I got in touch with the EWRB (the body that governs sparkies) and they told me twice..yes twice (I had to confirm as some kiwi a sparky(!!)said nah that ain't right!) but it is. Obviously work around the fuse box is unadvisable but I changed 42 recessed lights into hanging pendant type ones as I discovered that the ones that go into your ceiling are known as 'heat chimneys'.

The average room with just 4 of them takes almost twice as much power to heat the room as one with normal UK style drop pendant lights!! Mine were also a fire hazard as some plonker had insulated right the way over them..a really stupid thing to do. Anyway I also checked with my insurers State Ins and they are more than happy that you responsibly carry out your own work..so long as you know what you are doing and have taken all steps to ensure there will be no loss attributed to your work.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:48 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical work

Originally Posted by Genesis
Did you know you can do your own electrical work in your own home (not your rental though)? I got in touch with the EWRB (the body that governs sparkies) and they told me twice..yes twice (I had to confirm as some kiwi a sparky(!!)said nah that ain't right!) but it is. Obviously work around the fuse box is unadvisable but I changed 42 recessed lights into hanging pendant type ones as I discovered that the ones that go into your ceiling are known as 'heat chimneys'.

The average room with just 4 of them takes almost twice as much power to heat the room as one with normal UK style drop pendant lights!! Mine were also a fire hazard as some plonker had insulated right the way over them..a really stupid thing to do. Anyway I also checked with my insurers State Ins and they are more than happy that you responsibly carry out your own work..so long as you know what you are doing and have taken all steps to ensure there will be no loss attributed to your work.
Is that just swapping like for like??

I'm going to install extractors in both bathrooms, as there are none and don't want to pay a sparky to do it. I used to do all this stuff around the house, in the UK, so am not a novice........and when you say 'in' your own home, does this go for power in the garden??
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand the current line of thinking with ceiling lights.
some new places have about 6 or 8 little reccessed lights all burning power
when on just to light one room, and then folks wonder why their fuel bills are high

What ever happened to just having the "big light" in the centre of the room
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:45 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

We have the same situation in the UK. There is a lot of electrical work you can carry out yourself provided you are knowledgeable if you check. Adding new complete rings is not among them for the same reason as you have stated ie consumer box connections.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:57 am

Lily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really nice

ah this is good to know- cos i thought you had to get a sparky in to do it. we want to change spots into nice chandeliers- we did it all in the uk but werent to sure here!

so its ok to change ceiling lights? you dont need a code of compliance for the work afterwards?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

A lot of homes here have no earth in the ceiling as it is all earthed at the switch. This being the case I believe when fitting drop lights there are regs concerning this. The drop must not be lower than the height of the door(s) & they should be a set distance from windows. The other option of coarse is to run an earth into the ceiling.