Reload this Page >

Having A Baby in NZ

Having A Baby in NZ

Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

mummypom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having A Baby in NZ

Hi there all

There is a high chance my partner, daughter and I could be moving to NZ - Cambridge in August. My partner is a Kiwi and can answer most things for me but I am pregnant and due in November and have not got a clue what the pre-natal health system is like over there.

I'm guessing it's either the same or better than the UK but can anyone give me any positive experiences of giving birth in NZ?????

I am so so so ready for a fresh start that I am keeping everything crossed that this move comes off.

Thanks guys and I hope to be participating in a Hamilton/Cambridge meet up soon.

Amy
Old Jun 11th 2011, 10:22 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having A Baby in NZ

So much better over here, you will be allowed to choose your midwife (and change her if crap) and completely choose your birth plan. We had a home birth here and were actively encouraged to do so, please pm me with any ???? and my wife and I will happily answer....
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

As a midwife here in NZ I agree that for women the system is much better here than in the UK.
With PR you will be able to make use of the LMC system (kind of works like the UK's independant midwife system but its free) which means you'll choose one midwife who you see throughout your pregnancy, birth and postnatally. Should you need referral to an obstetrician you be referred onto him and then passed back to your midwives care when appropriate. There's also a 'shared-care' option should you have a higher risk pregnancy that required regular obstetric input.
You can choose to birth at home or in hospital. Some LMC's dont support home birth however so if this is your preference be sure and ask the LMC's you 'interview' if they provide that service.

If you want any more info feel free to ask.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

On arrival get registered with a GP and they will give you the list of midwives in the area.

It is then down to you to scroll through the lists of midwives and find one a) that you like; and b) that will take you on.....
I found this to be an issue with one baby that was due January - nobody would take me on as they were due to be on holiday over the christmas/january period!!

The system is very much geared to you interviewing and finding someone that you feel comfortable with.

I've had 3 pregnancies out here all with the same midwife and utilising a birthing centre to give birth before returning home within hours - but you totally dictate how things go and if you want a hospital birth will all the drugs going then find a midwife that will support you do this. Likewise if you want minimal intervention and prefer an acupuncture and meditation approach then there are midwives out there to support you this way instead.

I've had babies in both the uk and out here - very different approach, but equally satisfactory with great outcomes!

Good luck
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Loubielou is on a distinguished road

I gave birth to both my daughters here...although I had most of my ante-natal work up for my first child in the UK and came over here at about 6 months pregnant. I have nothing but good things to say about the whole experience here, midwife was great and is fab to know who is going to deliver your baby and will be with you throughout.

Birth care was really good, too...(post natal care) you see different midwives here but your own midwife comes in every day while you are there.

I was a senior nurse in the UK and hate it when people criticize the NHS but have to say that I think the health care system here is fantastic and esp the obstetric system.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Im going to follow this thread, we are trying for another baby now so will be intrested to see the replys

funnily enough in the UK we had no intrest in another baby, were happy with one but now we have changed our minds

3 weeks in Disney Land this month should hopefully speed that process up and hopefully i will come home pregnant
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan View Post

3 weeks in Disney Land this month should hopefully speed that process up and hopefully i will come home pregnant
!!!! with what a baby mouse on board?!?!!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Well im praying its not a mouse lol
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

mummypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies. All sounds good to me I love the idea of getting to know the midwife and know exactly who is going to deliver the baby for you.

Will just have to wait and see what happens in the next few days.

Loads of luck to you carolineshewan - the big ears could cause a problem at the birth lol

Thanks again guys

Amy
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:53 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

As a midwife who is no longer practising here (I loathe the maternity system in NZ), if you book with an independent midwife here make sure (s)he has been qualified for a few years & is not fresh out of college (I'm talking Kiwi-trained midwives).

I know this will be controversial but I can only go with the experience I have had as a midwife in NZ, as well as former colleagues experiences. British-trained midwives are much hotter on evidence-based practice (a significant of Kiwi midwives are British-trained too).

I don't wish to put you off in any way & you will most likely have a good experience but make sure you do your homework on your LMC.

A good midwife should be able & willing to support you wherever you choose to have your baby. Should you wish to have a water-birth, check that they have attended a study day on this & ask how many water-births they have attended. I say this because I have known some midwives perform water births with no experience whatsoever
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lol at the big ears

thats for the advice Vital

( i tried a water birth last time, never again for some reasons my contractions felt worse under water than when i was out the birthing pool)
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:00 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan View Post
lol at the big ears

thats for the advice Vital

( i tried a water birth last time, never again for some reasons my contractions felt worse under water than when i was out the birthing pool)
It does affect some women that way. Good luck with the plans
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

lol i was so upset as a close friend had a water birth with both her kids and they went fast and pain free, not me
i lasted an hour and i got out and back into bed lol
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

I tried a waterbirth with the last one - Birthcare in Auckland had it all ready for me to jump into, then I got there and there was no way any sane person would have dared move me from the position I'd managed to get myself into on the bed!!!.... however after stitches and all those lovely things had taken place I was invited to have a lovely relaxing bath with my new baby! ahhh heaven!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:04 am
Finally mesh free!

Originally Posted by P18PPS View Post
I tried a waterbirth with the last one - Birthcare in Auckland had it all ready for me to jump into, then I got there and there was no way any sane person would have dared move me from the position I'd managed to get myself into on the bed!!!.... however after stitches and all those lovely things had taken place I was invited to have a lovely relaxing bath with my new baby! ahhh heaven!
That's where I used to work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.