mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical Goods

Originally Posted by sky
Yes but it had good brakes because it was an imported one from the UK
Thank goodness.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:37 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Car was all caved in down one side though ... but the panel beaters just bashed it back into shape and that was about all they did!
My car door still whistles away when I go at 100k
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sky
Car was all caved in down one side though ... but the panel beaters just bashed it back into shape and that was about all they did!
My car door still whistles away when I go at 100k
They didn't put new panels/doors/wings/whatever on?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
What about my washer tale ... is that rubbish too?
Just asking before you bite my head off cos genuinely interested.
I could suggest two possible reasons for this advice:
- the adapter may not be properly wired, so may not be properly earthed, whereas a washing machine with a moulded plug will confidently be earthed correctly
- if the adapter were lying on the floor in the laundry, it may be vulnerable to water splashing so present a shock hazard compared to a single plug in a wall socket
In any case, the load of a washing machine is potentially quite high, so use of a multi-adapter might not be sensible
Hope this helps
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:23 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I could suggest two possible reasons for this advice:
- the adapter may not be properly wired, so may not be properly earthed, whereas a washing machine with a moulded plug will confidently be earthed correctly
- if the adapter were lying on the floor in the laundry, it may be vulnerable to water splashing so present a shock hazard compared to a single plug in a wall socket
In any case, the load of a washing machine is potentially quite high, so use of a multi-adapter might not be sensible
Hope this helps
Yes it does thank you
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:25 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by mazi
They didn't put new panels/doors/wings/whatever on?
Don't be silly , they didn't even do a check on the brakes or anything! just bashed it back into a sort of acceptable shape and gave it a quick blow over with new paint
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
As a chartered electrical engineer I can state quite categorically here that you're talking rubbish. Provided the total load on the NZ plug is within the rating (ie 10A), you are perfectly safe to use UK multi-socket boards on a NZ plug. In fact, probably safer, because each UK plug will have an individual fuse rated to the load of that appliance. Have a look at most of the stuff you plug in around your computer - phone chargers, modem, LCD monitor etc etc, most of it is rated at an amp or less, so you're perfectly OK to use a 5 or 6 way plug board - provided you check the total current.
I don't know why you had an electric shock, but blindly blaming it on multi-socket boards is a bit like never driving a car because one once crashed into you (which I'm sure lots did in NZ).
[/rant]
Could of been an old house with old electrics. We've been clearly told by a kiwi leccy, that our stuff is all very safe, and just to replace electrical goods if and when they need.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boopy
Could of been an old house with old electrics. We've been clearly told by a kiwi leccy, that our stuff is all very safe, and just to replace electrical goods if and when they need.
house 13 years old, mind you that's old by Kiwi standards.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

I think English electrics tend to have a higher load too... when I had my UK washing machine and the UK dishwasher together, I couldn't run both at the same time because the fuse board would trip out.

Now I have an old kiwi washing machine, I can run that alongside the UK dishwasher no problem...
Old Jan 25th 2007, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
house 13 years old, mind you that's old by Kiwi standards.
Ooooooooooops! Mine is 12 yrs old.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:30 pm
slime

simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Been here three years and none of my UK electrical appliances have failed electrically. With the exception of the TV, which suffered a power surge, but was fixed for $80 - we keep it in the rumpus room for the kids' videos and playstation.

The only other thing to not work here has been my Zanussi washing machine which needs a plastic part that can be found here, nor will Zanussi discuss sending one over...

We brought everything we owned here. Kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge, phone chargers, stereos, TV, video/DVD (although the DVD bit has broken now, blimmin' kids), clock/radios, lights, fan heaters, electric razor, hairdryer, food processors,.... you get the message...
the part for your washing machine if you know what the part is email curryspartmaster.co.uk and thay may post it to you
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by simon-nall
the part for your washing machine if you know what the part is email curryspartmaster.co.uk and thay may post it to you
Aw, that's extremely useful but sadly, the washing machine in question has spent the last two and a half years on the back deck collecting nice rust stains now, so I think it's problems may have magnified to more than the plastic part aforementioned.

But thanks anyway! I wish I'd had your advice when it first broke!