Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Setting up a Private Bag or PO Box in NZ before you arrive

Setting up a Private Bag or PO Box in NZ before you arrive

Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

jayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant future
Default Setting up a Private Bag or PO Box in NZ before you arrive

Hi all, just read that it's possible to set up a private bag with the Post Office in NZ. Anyone know if this can be done before arrival. YOu're probably gonna ask why. Well, stuff like bank account set ups and the like. Having an address to put down on forms makes stuff easier I guess. Any suggestions on where to look or how to go about it.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Setting up a Private Bag or PO Box in NZ before you arrive

Originally Posted by jayjaysaxking
Hi all, just read that it's possible to set up a private bag with the Post Office in NZ. Anyone know if this can be done before arrival. YOu're probably gonna ask why. Well, stuff like bank account set ups and the like. Having an address to put down on forms makes stuff easier I guess. Any suggestions on where to look or how to go about it.
I don't know if this is right or not but I'm not sure a private bag/PO box is good enough as an address to open bank accounts etc. I think you may need a 'real' address - lots of people use private bags etc. as a means of fraud.

BUT I'm not certain.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

jayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant future

The bank example was a bad one I guess. I have actually already managed to set up an account to be able to transfer money into so it's there when I arrive. Just going back to the opening of a private bag: if anyone knows if you can open or obtain one from the Uk can you let me know. Thanks anyway for the post.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

The bank example was a bad one I guess. I have actually already managed to set up an account to be able to transfer money into so it's there when I arrive. Just going back to the opening of a private bag: if anyone knows if you can open or obtain one from the Uk can you let me know. Thanks anyway for the post.
ah, good for you!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:31 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

i read in Steve Horrell's 'Emigrating to NZ' that PO boxes and post bags are widely accepted in NZ by businesses (unlike here).

have been trying to find the page since reading it only yesterday to see if i can answer your question, but havent found it yet.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish
i read in Steve Horrell's 'Emigrating to NZ' that PO boxes and post bags are widely accepted in NZ by businesses (unlike here).

have been trying to find the page since reading it only yesterday to see if i can answer your question, but havent found it yet.
ok i have found the extract which suggests you speak to New Zealand Post who can set up a box or bag in the city or town you plan to use as a base when you arrive in the country.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Nice one. Thanks for that. Will give it a try and let you all know how I get on.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Just been on the NZ post site and found all the info. Here's the url if anyone's interested.
http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...dAnswers/:eek:
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:19 pm

Just been on the NZ post site and found all the info. Here's the url if anyone's interested.
http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...dAnswers/:eek:
the actual link is:

http://nzpost.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...i=&p_topview=1
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

we have a NZ po Box, i have just spoken to hubby who says they didn't ask to see anything at all when he applied for the box, so i pressume that you can open one from UK
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
we have a NZ po Box, i have just spoken to hubby who says they didn't ask to see anything at all when he applied for the box, so i pressume that you can open one from UK
all you need to do is email [email protected], tell them what you want ie po box for a year, & how you want to pay ie credit card. they then reply yes fine & post you a reciept. when you arrive in NZ take the reciept to the nominated post shop & they give you the key - simple

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...ndPrivateBags/

PO Boxes and Private Bags

PO Boxes and Private Bags are the convenient way to have your mail delivered.

Renew your PO Box / Private Bag. If you recently recieved an invoice from us you can renew your PO Box or Private Bag online!
Key Benefits
How you can benefit from using PO Boxes and Private Bags

It's safe. You don't have to worry if there's no one at your address when the mail arrives, or that an overflowing mailbox is an invitation to a burglar or thief; with a PO Box or Private Bag, your mail is always under lock and key.
Early Delivery. We aim to deliver your mail as early as possible.

Location Service Standard Target*
Major CBD and Mail Centres** 7.30 a.m.
Other locations Priority Mail
(CourierPost, FastPost, RegisteredPost, BoxLink) 7.30 a.m.
Other Locations: all mail
(Standard Post, PacketPost, ParcelPost) 9.00 a.m.

*Service Standard Target times in some rural locations may vary due to transport constraints. Please check with your local outlet for the delivery times.
** Major CBD and Mail Centres
- Auckland
- Auckland Mail Centre
- Christchurch Airport
- Christchurch Mail Centre
- Devonport
- Dunedin
- Palmerston Nth Central
- Symonds Street
- Timaru
- Wellesley Street
- Wellington
- Wellington Mail Centre
Pick up your mail when it suits you. You can collect your PO Box mail when it's most convenient to you - most Private Bag lobbies have 24-hour access.

Or get your courier to collect it. If you prefer, you can get your courier to pick-up and deliver your mail. CourierPost offers this service for a small fee.
What a PO Box or Private Bag Costs

Prices are per annum rental and GST inclusive

5 Day Sort* 6 Day Sort*
PO Box - Small $105.00 $125.00
PO Box - Large $165.00 $215.00
Private Bag $300.00 $300.00
Private Bag - Unnumbered $1000.00 $1000.00

*Depends on whether mail is sorted 5 or 6 days at the PO Box lobby you have chosen and availability.
How to Get a PO Box or Private Bag
Getting a PO Box or Private Bag is as simple as visiting your local New Zealand Post or Books & More retail outlet. You will need to decide what location you would like your PO Box or Private Bag and first check for availability.
Click here for the PostShop locator and call or visit the PostShop to confirm availability.
Once confirmed, all you need to do is complete a PO Box/Private Bag contract and arrange payment for the PO Box or Private Bag rental (for a year).
Every 12 months you will receive an invoice to 'renew' your Box or Bag. you can renew your PO Box Online, at your local PostShop or by calling us on 0800 501 501.

Transferring a PO Box or Private Bag
Please contact the existing PO Box location if you wish to transfer your Box to another location.
If you require any further information regarding your PO Box please call in to your local PO Box Lobby or contact us on: 0800 501 501 (toll free).
Old Jan 25th 2007, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

I know stevemw looked into this before he came out. you may want to pm him for info.

Does hanley still rock on a saturday night??

Lee
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the comments and info.
HANLEY - is just full of packs of 16 -18 year olds staggering about the town centre wearing next to nothing in the sub zero winter temperatures, puking up in street corners and starting fights wherever possible - so in short: yeh, still rocks!

Last edited by jayjaysaxking; Jan 25th 2007 at 8:27 am.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:17 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Hanley.....I used to go swimming there from Salter's Close, Werrington.
Left when I was seven though.
The baths still open?
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:17 am
Just Joined

No idea! I live Newcastle area, so not that familiar with Werrington. Stoke's such an outstandingly beautiful place. I think everyone should experience it once in a lifetime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.