Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

education/training in New Zealand

education/training in New Zealand

Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:16 am
Just Joined

eddandrach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default education/training in New Zealand

We have recently visited NZ and loved both Napier and Tauranga areas. As we are thinking of emmigrating we have discussed this with as many people as possible and a lot of them seem to think that the long term prospects for our children are not as good as australia. At present they are only 6 & 3 but if they cannot get the education/training in NZ it would seem better to live in Australia and holiday in NZ. Basically we all loved NZ but worry about giving everything up just to have to uproots again to provide the best for our children.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all
Default Re: education/training in New Zealand

hello there,

we recently left new zealand for a new startt over in oz. we have 20 month ld girl and her future is paramount.

we have since returned to nz and have decided to remain here permanantly.

new zealand is a great place to bring up a young one for sure. people over here have a completely different upbringing than in the UK. they all do great sports at school and continue this on after school.

there is no drink and drugs culture on the scale that there is in the UK.

As for schooling. there a re lots of very good schools in New Zealand and my partner is a KIwi and agrees that the education system is not lacking here at all.

i dont know what ozzie is like as far as schooling goes but i would much rather have my daughter in a school in new zealand rather than a school in the UK thats for sure!!!

grant
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
there is no drink and drugs culture on the scale that there is in the UK.
I would dispute that, NZ has a huge alcohol and drugs problem and the scale is only reduced due to sheer lack of numbers of population. Alcohol seems to be integral to Kiwi life, borne out with drunken driving stats and the usual weekend reporting of mayhem most places where crowds gather.

The daily barrage of public service adverts on TV 'it's not the drinkin'.... are there for good reason.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:54 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I would dispute that, NZ has a huge alcohol and drugs problem and the scale is only reduced due to sheer lack of numbers of population. Alcohol seems to be integral to Kiwi life, borne out with drunken driving stats and the usual weekend reporting of mayhem most places where crowds gather.

The daily barrage of public service adverts on TV 'it's not the drinkin'.... are there for good reason.
Although it might be the case in some areas of New Zealand, the situation is not at the epidemic proportions your post seems to suggest.

I certainly prefer our kids going through 'the system' here than back in the UK; the change in them from an educational point of view and their relationships with both their peers and adults has definitely been for the better. Most Kiwi kids and teenagers show a maturity that is lacking from their peers in the UK and their social skills are definitely more advanced.

From our point of view at least, we have no regrets in making the decision to bring our family to New Zealand
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

eddandrach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by P2L
Although it might be the case in some areas of New Zealand, the situation is not at the epidemic proportions your post seems to suggest.

I certainly prefer our kids going through 'the system' here than back in the UK; the change in them from an educational point of view and their relationships with both their peers and adults has definitely been for the better. Most Kiwi kids and teenagers show a maturity that is lacking from their peers in the UK and their social skills are definitely more advanced.

From our point of view at least, we have no regrets in making the decision to bring our family to New Zealand

NZ sounds a great place to bring up kids. Have you seen any problems with long-term prospects regarding jobs and education. there just seems to be alot of young kiwis leaving to go to Oz because of better prospects. Do you find this to be true or can't you really comment. I loved NZ but OH has started to think of OZ and i'm confused
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

This may sound odd but I'm not sure you should make this decision based on what your children may do in the future. I think Napier and Tauranga are lovely places, and as nice as anywhere to bring up your young children. Primary education is similar in both countries and although I love Australia I wonder if you would settle there easily if you're disappointed about not trying NZ. You could follow your heart and live here in NZ while your kids are still young, and if you decide later that NZ is too small you can always "cross the ditch" before the kids start high school. Lots of people do it.

Having said that my observation of schools in Oz was favourable and we were intending to move to Qld this year, but can't for the moment. I was excited about what my kids were going to be studying at school in Queensland. I'm happy with my children's education here but there seemed, especially at High School, to be more offered in the way of subject choices and more help given with directing kids into a career and making their education relevant. There did seem a greater range of possibilities. But that's just my opinion.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a Uni in Napier or Tauranga - although they may have a branch one. If your children go to University, they may have to move to Auckland, Wellington, Palmerston North or even Otago depending on what they want to study, and may end up staying there afterwards or moving overseas with friends anyway. Likewise, a greater range of jobs are available in the cities and kiwi young people often become quite a mobile bunch to compensate.

Often young people leave NZ, not necessarily because of the lack of jobs or education, but to earn a bit more money and experience a different lifestyle. NZ is relatively small and if they end up high up in some profession they may decide overseas has more to offer, but they will be old enough to go by themselves by then.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kiwinow;7253960]

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a Uni in Napier or Tauranga - although they may have a branch one. QUOTE]

What about the University of Waikato?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:28 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I have a professional interest in alcohol issues and I was in NZ at Christmas so I kept an eye out. Although I didn't look at any stats, the impression I got was that the alcohol problem is on a par with the UK. Both countries have issues with drinking cultures in my opinion. Oz is not exactly teetotal either. If it really is an issue for you look up the stats.