Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

East Coast Auckland

East Coast Auckland

Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: East Coast Auckland

Originally Posted by P18PPS
if a short commute is your preference then look around mission bay, Kohimarama, St Heliers, Glendowie. once you head over the bridge you can instantly add another 30+ minutes to a journey. Having said that there will be folks who will swear to you that you can commute from upper north shore easily in 40 mins (a fact I would argue that is only possible at 3am).
I live in Beach Haven on the Shore and as I've said before (and Ive no reason to underestimate the time scales for you) I commute to Papakura for work.
I leave home at 6:10am so out of rush hour but certainly not 3am, and I'm at work in Papakura by 6:45, leaving Papkura at 7:10pm I'm home by 7:45.
Some days after a night shift I travel home from Papakura to the Shore at 7:10am so the traffic is starting to build up, I'm home by 8:10 so longer but certainly not as long as suggested.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:01 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: East Coast Auckland

Originally Posted by nzl
Where to buy?
Shopping for a home on the Internet is a bit like Internet dating. Some people need to fall in love with a place, others can decide based on a check list. Somehow, from the frustration you express, you sound like you need to fall in love. That suggests you are better off renting when you get here. Try renting an apartment on the Viaduct in the central city (the most vibrant part of the city - it will feel like a holiday) for four weeks or so, rent a car and drive around and get a feel for the huge range of lifestyle choices.

With your budget, 2 acres in the Auckland region means rural. Schools may or may not be good in that rural district. The only way to know is go there.

Do you want cow-rural, horse-rural or vineyard-rural?

Do you want flat or hilly, wetter (west) or drier (east), island (Waiheke), peninsula (Devonport) or isthmus (south of Auckland, west of Auckland, North Shore or further north)?

For others to help you, it would help if you told us about the kind of life-style you seek, what you value and enjoy, what you look for in a daily routine. Do you want land to not hear the neighbours, to graze ponies, grow a garden or just because it's what you have at home? Do you want trees, native bush or grass you can mow (or graze)?

Holiday on the way?

Yes, I recommend it. It is a major life change you are making, punctuate it with some travel experiences. After Disney, book three days on a tropical South Pacific Island as well.

We shipped our container in northern summer (NZ winter), went to Provence for August, then Paris to Disney EU (our's was six at the time), then Bali (elephant rides were great) for two weeks in September, then a week in Sydney and finally Auckland on the first day of southern hemisphere equinox. Timed it so we arrived two days before our container hit the port. Had a great time, had a bit of money to spend thanks to selling the house, and avoided two winters in one year.
Most houses are auctioned in the Auckland city area so you would find it a while to get a house for your budget such is the demand inb Auckland at the moment. So if you have a choice I would def live outside of Auckland. Tauranga(2.5 hours from Auckland) is really great for kids with so many families and a gorgeous white sand beach. You can also still get a really nice family home there with your budget.