Earthquake Alert

Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:21 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake Alert

Glad to hear everyone seems to be ok. Although all my family are Auckland it makes me feel emotional watching people in my home country experiencing this.

I remember as child growing up in NZ we had lessons and practice sessions on what to do in an earthquake (sit under the desk, stand in a door frame etc). That was a LONG time ago, so that advice might be out of date, but migrants should research the best advice today. NZ is on a fault line so earthquakes are a real risk. I wouldn't let it stop you going though. You could be hit by a London bus tomorrow!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Your right..... still the same... under a desk or in a door way. I remember when we first moved here & heard the drill, hubby just laughed at me, cos I insisted on shipping our lovely new dining table over...... All glass!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Glad to hear everyone seems to be ok. Although all my family are Auckland it makes me feel emotional watching people in my home country experiencing this.

I remember as child growing up in NZ we had lessons and practice sessions on what to do in an earthquake (sit under the desk, stand in a door frame etc). That was a LONG time ago, so that advice might be out of date, but migrants should research the best advice today. NZ is on a fault line so earthquakes are a real risk. I wouldn't let it stop you going though. You could be hit by a London bus tomorrow!
Definitely keep up to date with current advice - have an escape and evacuation plan, and an evacuation kit - so you can pick up the essentials of paperwork etc easily, and don't end up sitting in the car with a pillow case and a jar of gherkins!!

Good thread here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633208 though I haven't checked to see if all the links still work.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Really glad to hear you are ok

My thoughts go out to others in the Christchurch/Canterbury area

Originally Posted by Persephone
Hi from Christchurch!

I'm on the western edge of Chch and luckily my power hasn't been out at all since the quake but have had texts from others saying theirs is. So far no damage to the house, bookshelves fallen over, ornaments on the floor and doors, drawers and blinds been opened during the quake. Only one ornament broken- my giraffe has been beheaded so nothing to worry about really.

Very scary this morning though, woken up at 4.30ish by a extremely loud rumbling, sounded like a plane flying very low just above the house. Then the whole house shook and moved violently for about 10-15secs I think [not sure really,could have been longer], doors were slamming open and shut, the furniture was banging against the walls and the window blinds were flapping around. It's amazing how much the house can move and still stay upright! We then had aftershocks every 5-10mins or so which gradually decreased in violence. Last one was very mild, about 30mins ago.

Hope everyone else in Chch is ok and that you've all been as lucky as we have been

Had a look at the news and can't believe how much damage there has been. It felt bad but since we got off lightly then I assumed it maybe wasn't as bad as it seemed We do have a new[ish] house though
Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:08 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chris! Going to bed soon, been a long day

Originally Posted by Boopy
Your right..... still the same... under a desk or in a door way. I remember when we first moved here & heard the drill, hubby just laughed at me, cos I insisted on shipping our lovely new dining table over...... All glass!!!!
I know what to do, was just too sleepy at 4.30 to get out of bed, my survival instinct is obviously not that developed I do like my bed... Mr S is not working tonight so I'm sure he'll kick me out of bed if it happens again!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:12 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Reports we got at work (I do disaster management in Brisbane) reckoned about 18-20 seconds.
Thanks for that hadn't managed to find it anywhere. That's originally what I thought but couldn't be sure. 20secs is a very long time when you are shaking, rattling and rolling!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Thanks for that hadn't managed to find it anywhere. That's originally what I thought but couldn't be sure. 20secs is a very long time when you are shaking, rattling and rolling!
I can imagine. Not something I would want to experience. The eeriest thing from this end was sitting here seeing the quake notifications roll in on twitter, and knwoing that there is nothing you can do. You just have to sit and wait till things calm down before you will get any reports of damamge, injury etc and that bit sitting with your heart in your mouth is pretty bad. I was chatting on BE when I got all the alerts, and my first thought - quite honestly - was OMG we have so many posters over there, how are they......
Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of you Cantabrians. Hope you're able to get some sleep. You must all be pretty knackered. Stay safe
Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:44 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I can imagine. Not something I would want to experience.
You get used to them, easy for me to say since I live and work in very new earthquake proof buildings. Just hope I'm not in the Tokyo Metro when the Big One hits. Odds are in my favour.

Good to read ppl in NZ seem to be ok.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 11:01 am
Just Joined

LyndaW is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add my few words to all of you who have been affected by the 'quake & to hope that you are all OK. Looks pretty awful on BBC TV & with more bad weather forecast I hope that no more severe damage will happen. I have read through all the posts so far & everyone who has posted seems to have escaped with just minor breakages, thank goodness.

Chins up, everyone, take care,

Lynda in France
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I am coming to Wellington next week. Hope no quakes then
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of Love & Best Wishes To All Those Affected.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Amazing no one is dead
thank whoever/whatever you believe in!

Hope the Aussies chip in with some assistance if needed

Surely the UK should help as well financially
Old Sep 4th 2010, 11:55 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

We live in the CBD - right near Victoria St where loads of buildings crumbled into street, including (as we discovered whilst stumbling a bit dazed in search of coffee) Our Daily Bagel - got to it and the entire row of shops have lost the top storey facade. AND they couldn't steam the milk when we did find coffee...

But extremely thankful that this was the main inconvenience - we got a terrifying rumble at 435 (took pics of the tower junction clock stuck on 435 - all the clocks in town the same). Thought it was a storm battering us, then realised it was possibly going to bring the house down (live in a ground floor flat in old Kiwi villa so storey above us).

Grabbed my daughter (who would NOT wake up) and STILL no idea we were in a quake. Not until I tried to stand and was thrown against the dresser that I clued on to the rhthmic sort of sliding movement - like the house was sliding back and forth on it's foundations - that I really panicked. It was like being in the dodgems or on a ride - and this endless bang, bang, bang and woosh, woosh, woosh. And then the creaking sounds of the weatherboard...

We did not lose power or water or mobile phone or net and for that I am very, very grateful!!! In the dark (not wanting to turn on lights as aftershocks kept rolling in and had this idea that I'd start a fire), couldn't hear noise from the other flats the first thing I did was turn on the laptop!! And all that came up from google were bloody twitter messages!!!!

Was very frustrating not to be able to get info. The web had nothing at that point (Besides useless tweets and we've just moved in so no TV yet. Plus, who the hell has a radio except for my grandma???? I'll be getting one as the online radio streaming wouldn't work - heard other reports of it being unreliable. A lot of Christchurch sites wouldn't load either.

Found these sites useful (for next time...NO THANK YOU!

ECan

Get Thru

Civil Defence

slept last night under table in office with car packed and unlocked ready to go after a friend phoned to say Civil Defence had advised us to evacuate to Addington Raceway!! Neighbours weren't moving and promised to come get us and drive to their family in Ashburton if it got bad so stayed put. Finally got some sleep after midnight but very jumpy after the larger afterschock of the afternoon/evening (reports saying it was around 530pm but we were in supermarket at that point and felt nothing then got a big jolt about an hour or so later)

Never ever want to experience it again and think that was part of the shock - I knew there were quakes in NZ but had looked into it and ChCh is not known for big ones! Even spent ages studying the display at the museum 2 weeks ago.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:01 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Went for a wander round the cbd at around 7am after it happened and thing that most stood out were the ducks - there were half a dozen perched on top of the language school building near punting on the Avon on Worcester St making a huge racket.

Interestingly their wee ducklings were still on the ground!!! Talk about every man (or duck) for themselves!!

Apparently (via twitter) there were reports of animals/pets waking people around an hour before it happened.

Hope everyone's getting their power back on today. We're still boiling water - tried to buy but the shop had no eftpos. Might take a wee wander up later. Great comraderie around early morning yesterday but was interesting to see it wear off by around 9 or 10 as so many cars and ppl started clogging the cbd. Can't imagine how the tourists are feeling - we came over for a quick hol exactly this time last year and would've been scared witless...as we pretty much are now and with no plane waiting to take us elsewhere...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.