Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Earthquake - Tsunami ? Be prepared.

Earthquake - Tsunami ? Be prepared.

Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Earthquake - Tsunami ? Be prepared.

Today New Zealand had an official Tsunami alert. Civil Defence kicked in for some areas. People were evacuated from their homes and places of work. Shoreline areas were sealed off.

Here are the basic items that EQ-IQ & Get Thru of New Zealand suggest we all keep to hand for such an emergency.

Emergency items
• Torch with spare batteries
• Radio with spare batteries (check all batteries every 3 months)
• A change of clothes for all family members (wind and waterproof clothing, sun hats, and strong outdoor shoes)
• First aid kit and essential medicines
• Blankets or sleeping bags
• Pet supplies
• Toilet paper and large rubbish bags for your emergency toilet
• Face and dust masks
Food and water for at least three days
• Non-perishable food (canned or dried food)
• Bottled water (at least 3 litres per person, per day for drinking)
• Plan how to get water for washing and cooking (check your hot water cylinder, pond, toilet cistern if it is free of chemicals)

• A primus or gas barbeque to cook on
• A can opener
• Check and replace food and water every twelve months.
Supplies for babies and small children
• Food, formula and drink
• Change of clothing and nappies
• Toys or favourite activity

Geonet is an on-going project to monitor all geological hazards to NZ. Should you feel an erthquake , then you can log this with GeoNet
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake - Tsunami ? Be prepared.

You can buy ready made Emergency Kits if you don't want to do it yourself. We got several after the programme this time last year about a possible earthquake in Wellington. In case I am not allowed to post a link, I would just say google survive it.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Some more background info that people may find useful/interesting - http://www.fema.gov/hazard/tsunami/index.shtm

Take note of these comments which are deadly serious-

# Stay away from the beach. Never go down to the beach to watch a tsunami come in. If you can see the wave you are too close to escape it.

# CAUTION - If there is noticeable recession in water away from the shoreline this is nature's tsunami warning and it should be heeded. You should move away immediately.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:08 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

As per previous thread I am going to be getting together an emergancy kit and procedure in the next few days after today. Very important to think about a procedure if, like me, you have teenagers who take off and will be at different locations.

I also want to know what my younger kids' school's procedure is? I know most schools carry out earthquake drills with the kids. But I want to know where they are going to take the kids and how, or if they're not which is most likely, in the event of a tsunami? There is no way a school like the one my youngest 2 attend can possibly contact 720 parents to pick the kids up if a tsunami threatens. So I now want to know what the plan is ...