Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Don't move to NZ......

Don't move to NZ......

Old May 6th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't move to NZ......

Originally Posted by Genesis
Some of the beaches do get chokka with motors..but in the main people drive carefully and I still maintain that every beach I have been on both sides of the north isle are essentialy empty, peaceful and quiet. Can't hear much over the waves anyway my hearing's so bad!!!!!
I was at Foxton Beach recently (well outside of 'summer') and for miles in both directions all I could see were cars and quad bikes going up and down the beach, near the high water mark. Not really what I would call 'clean and green'. A beautiful beach, totally ruined by being a road.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:22 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Question Re: Don't move to NZ......

................if you need to feel part of the rest of the world, if you feel the need to have quality news and papers, clothing and generally figure that shopping is a big deal.

If living in a country that is in many ways 'backward' (careers, internet, public transport, broad base of culture/history, shopping, availability of stuff etc).

If living amongst a bunch of people who are apparently insular and don't give a stuff about anything much so long as it does not affect them.

If limited classical music scene will irk you.

If you want to live in a house that you were/are used to in the UK/europe.

If you are concerned with the prospect of having to build a house yourself or seriously modernise the one you buy to make it 'habitable' as far as warmth standards go.

Unless you are going to get a well paid job or come with enough equity to buy outright. Incredibly high housing costs relative to wages....interest rates around 10%.

If you are worried about the gang, P, domestic violence, childabuse/murders, paedophile (apparently) problems that we have here.

If you don't like the feel of isolation (NZ is the worlds most isolated western counrty allegedly).

If you are concerned that an expose of our police force has recently shown that about 33% are 'disengaged' from the job and the large part of the rest of them are just 'going thru' the motions'. ie moral at an all time low.

COME TO NZ..........

If you want to live somewhere really different,
with an incredibly low density of population,
virtually traffic free out of the 3-4 main areas,
where kids remain kids longer and they are welcome virtualy everywhere,
for empty beaches without £3 per hour parking,
where you can surf and ski IN THE SAME MORNING!!!!! (Taranaki)
if you like a quirky country full of quirky individuals,
if you want adventure and a great outdoorsy lifestyle,
simply if you want to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth that speaks english where you can get a job and start a new life!!

Been here 3 years and NZ has delivered and way surpassed ALL of our expectations. It at times has been hard but we have carved our mark both in our home and our new town. NZ has so much going for it if you approach it with the right attitude. Some would have been far better off going straight to Oz or Canada, some like me and my family adore our new lives. We have so much here that we did not in the UK

Sure we have had to give loads up, we miss europe, all the GREAT stuff about G B and theres lots of it..but most of us have choices.

THINK HARD ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT NEED AND EXPECT!!!

All the negatives about NZ above are very true and I have missed loads out.

The place is full of problems..but will they affect you day to day....virtually all the serious probs in NZ do not impact on most people.

Booshyman intimated that there's an attitude of selfishness in people like me who say 'these problems don't affect me'.

Well when you get to my age and you have left a part of the UK where I had wall to wall shite day in day out I reckon I desereve a bit of peace and quiet and some quality of life for me and my family if I can find it.

I did in NZ.

Weigh up all the pros and cons. Make sure the former basket outweighs the latter.

Don't trully agree with all the negatives, but they do exist. I like being away from the 'rat race' at the moment, maybe I will one day feel I want to know what the rest of the world is up too, but not at present. i don't want the rest of the world 'in my face' it's nice to be insular for a change. Everywhere has negative and positive factors you just hope the positive outweigh the negative. Enjoy what life has to offer, you appear to be doing so
Old May 6th 2008, 10:33 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Batty

I'll add ...
If you don't always need everything and everyone to be 'just so' and under your control come to New Zealand
And I'll add...

If you do need everything and everyone to be 'just so' and under your control then don't go anywhere. Stay in the UK and content yourself by watching repeats of "One Foot in the Grave".
Old May 6th 2008, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
And I'll add...

If you do need everything and everyone to be 'just so' and under your control then don't go anywhere. Stay in the UK and content yourself by watching repeats of "One Foot in the Grave".
And how many millions of people do just that? Anyone who does step outside of their comfort zones and try something different deserves the biggest pat on the back, whether they like it here or not. At least they got off their arses and tried.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:59 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
And how many millions of people do just that? Anyone who does step outside of their comfort zones and try something different deserves the biggest pat on the back, whether they like it here or not. At least they got off their arses and tried.
Yes, most people never try moving overseas but who are we to knock that? I have every admiration for people who know themselves well enough to know when they are content.
Old May 6th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

So my conclusion from that is that people more than anything else should choose very, very carefully where in NZ they will settle.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I live where most people would not even visit for a day let alone live!!! But I am content. Palmerston North is probably NZ's biggest 'joke'. So I do not live in some wonderful location with my head up my jacksy. My initial post was not written thru' the eyes of some wealthy emigree in the likes of Nelson. Palmy is a gritty down to earth place.

But I have space, a job and all the other positive points I mentioned right here in Palmy with the exception of skiing/surfing in the same AM/PM.

Point is try to ski and surf in one morning in Coventry or Northampton or St Ives. Or New York or Sydney come to think of it..infact where in the world can you do both in the same day as a normal, regular person without a LearJet at your disposal??? You CAN do it in NZ. You can see glaciers here..I have not in 3 years...but you can if you get your finger out!

I happen to like it here in Palmy, but there are way, way better places to live in NZ.

So there is much to look forward to aye??
Old May 6th 2008, 11:25 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

So my conclusion from that is that people more than anything else should choose very, very carefully where in NZ they will settle.

I love my little bit of New Zealand too!
Old May 6th 2008, 11:29 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Point is try to ski and surf in one morning in Coventry or Northampton or St Ives. Or New York or Sydney come to think of it..infact where in the world can you do both in the same day as a normal, regular person without a LearJet at your disposal???
You can do it in Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan but you'd freeze your knackers off swimming in the winter.

DH tells me that you can do it in North Carolina.
Old May 6th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it in Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan but you'd freeze your knackers off swimming in the winter.

DH tells me that you can do it in North Carolina.
Nice one..alas I can't speak Japanese. North Carolina, know it well, have good chums in Raleigh..I get the surf..where's the piste?

NB it has to be said its probably best removing ones gonads in NZ B4 trying the surfing after you have had a ski!!!!! But some people do do it..apparently.
Old May 6th 2008, 11:37 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be able to do it in the "mid-east", albe-it without any natural assistance.........
Old May 6th 2008, 11:39 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Nice one..alas I can't speak Japanese. North Carolina, know it well, have good chums in Raleigh..I get the surf..where's the piste?
Just asked him and he said, 'In the mountains, near Charlotte and Ashville". Sorry if that's not helpful.

You may have guessed that this topic has already been aired in our house. It's one of the things I loved about my home in Japan - it was so close to great skiing and good beaches. (Beautiful autumns in the mountains too.)
Old May 6th 2008, 11:41 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by lardyl
You'll be able to do it in the "mid-east", albe-it without any natural assistance.........
Of course. Ski Dubai. We peered in through the glass when we were there - it looked great fun.
Old May 6th 2008, 11:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Of course. Ski Dubai. We peered in through the glass when we were there - it looked great fun.
One where NZ is cleaner and greener I suspect
Old May 6th 2008, 12:01 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Just asked him and he said, 'In the mountains, near Charlotte and Ashville". Sorry if that's not helpful.

You may have guessed that this topic has already been aired in our house. It's one of the things I loved about my home in Japan - it was so close to great skiing and good beaches. (Beautiful autumns in the mountains too.)
fair drive from Asheville down to the coast - as my very good buddie lives up there - lots of Floridinians there in the Summer - we even got be-nighted in the Appelatians with him, albeit in Tn. one time - ah happy days before the kids and when we were able to be DUMB!