British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Don't move to NZ...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dont-move-nz-534576/)

Genesis May 6th 2008 4:39 am

Don't move to NZ......

................if you need to feel part of the rest of the world, if you feel the need to have quality news and papers, clothing and generally figure that shopping is a big deal.

If living in a country that is in many ways 'backward' (careers, internet, public transport, broad base of culture/history, shopping, availability of stuff etc).

If living amongst a bunch of people who are apparently insular and don't give a stuff about anything much so long as it does not affect them.

If limited classical music scene will irk you.

If you want to live in a house that you were/are used to in the UK/europe.

If you are concerned with the prospect of having to build a house yourself or seriously modernise the one you buy to make it 'habitable' as far as warmth standards go.

Unless you are going to get a well paid job or come with enough equity to buy outright. Incredibly high housing costs relative to wages....interest rates around 10%.

If you are worried about the gang, P, domestic violence, childabuse/murders, paedophile (apparently) problems that we have here.

If you don't like the feel of isolation (NZ is the worlds most isolated western counrty allegedly).

If you are concerned that an expose of our police force has recently shown that about 33% are 'disengaged' from the job and the large part of the rest of them are just 'going thru' the motions'. ie moral at an all time low.

COME TO NZ..........

If you want to live somewhere really different,
with an incredibly low density of population,
virtually traffic free out of the 3-4 main areas,
where kids remain kids longer and they are welcome virtualy everywhere,
for empty beaches without £3 per hour parking,
where you can surf and ski IN THE SAME MORNING!!!!! (Taranaki)
if you like a quirky country full of quirky individuals,
if you want adventure and a great outdoorsy lifestyle,
simply if you want to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth that speaks english where you can get a job and start a new life!!

Been here 3 years and NZ has delivered and way surpassed ALL of our expectations. It at times has been hard but we have carved our mark both in our home and our new town. NZ has so much going for it if you approach it with the right attitude. Some would have been far better off going straight to Oz or Canada, some like me and my family adore our new lives. We have so much here that we did not in the UK

Sure we have had to give loads up, we miss europe, all the GREAT stuff about G B and theres lots of it..but most of us have choices.

THINK HARD ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT NEED AND EXPECT!!!

All the negatives about NZ above are very true and I have missed loads out.

The place is full of problems..but will they affect you day to day....virtually all the serious probs in NZ do not impact on most people.

Booshyman intimated that there's an attitude of selfishness in people like me who say 'these problems don't affect me'.

Well when you get to my age and you have left a part of the UK where I had wall to wall shite day in day out I reckon I desereve a bit of peace and quiet and some quality of life for me and my family if I can find it.

I did in NZ.

Weigh up all the pros and cons. Make sure the former basket outweighs the latter.

lardyl May 6th 2008 5:01 am

Re: Don't move to NZ......

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6311923)
................I reckon I desereve a bit of peace and quiet and some quality of life for me and my family if I can find it.
I did in NZ.
Weigh up all the pros and cons. Make sure the former basket outweighs the latter.

absolutely master........................hommmmmmmm........

you need to write a book..... kinda along the lines of "Contemplation and the art of Emmigration"

you are right and TBH I find that the longer I spend in NZ the wiser I become, although lots of "knowledge" is falling through the gaps out of my head...........:rofl:

dreamfish May 6th 2008 5:13 am

with you 100% on this one genesis.

if you are not adverse to poking 34 sq m of expol up into the garage roof so that you can watch telly without freezing your toes off - come to NZ. (guess what I am taking a break from before i go and pick out polystyrene beads, spiders and wood out my hair)

I love it, and i love being more practical and innovative.

There is something quite humbling about making more of your home, as opposed to buying somewhere thats perfect in every way.

Have proof read this post and tried to reword it so I dont come across all tongue in cheek and/or sarcastic - but its not working. This is meant to be a sincere post :)

lardyl May 6th 2008 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Euripides (Post 6311998)
Awesome. Is it true that helicopters fly overhead there, tracking gangs of youth as they roam the city back streets in wanton search of carnality?

I have seen a certain show that would have us believe that this is a nightly occurrence, along with street brawls and what-not.

not here on the sunny HBC, but elsewhere in our great country, yep probably :(

lardyl May 6th 2008 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Euripides (Post 6311998)
Awesome. Is it true that helicopters fly overhead there, tracking gangs of youth as they roam the city back streets in wanton search of carnality?

I have seen a certain show that would have us believe that this is a nightly occurrence, along with street brawls and what-not.

and inspite of everything I was totally agreeing with Genesis - he is the new BE NZ Forum Guru......... :thumbsup:

Genesis May 6th 2008 5:30 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6312006)

and inspite of everything I was totally agreeing with Genesis - he is the new BE NZ Forum Guru......... :thumbsup:

ThanK you, but these days the truth is I am a humble house cleaner $30 an hour..any takers??

lardyl May 6th 2008 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6312043)
ThanK you, but these days the truth is I am a humble house cleaner $30 an hour..any takers??

would take you up on it but I can't afford the rates for travelling to Auckland! :D

Browner_ May 6th 2008 6:15 am

................if you need to feel part of the rest of the world, if you feel the need to have quality news and papers, clothing and generally figure that shopping is a big deal.

If living in a country that is in many ways 'backward' (careers, internet, public transport, broad base of culture/history, shopping, availability of stuff etc).

If living amongst a bunch of people who are apparently insular and don't give a stuff about anything much so long as it does not affect them.

If limited classical music scene will irk you.

If you want to live in a house that you were/are used to in the UK/europe.

If you are concerned with the prospect of having to build a house yourself or seriously modernise the one you buy to make it 'habitable' as far as warmth standards go.

Unless you are going to get a well paid job or come with enough equity to buy outright. Incredibly high housing costs relative to wages....interest rates around 10%.

If you are worried about the gang, P, domestic violence, childabuse/murders, paedophile (apparently) problems that we have here.

If you don't like the feel of isolation (NZ is the worlds most isolated western counrty allegedly).

If you are concerned that an expose of our police force has recently shown that about 33% are 'disengaged' from the job and the large part of the rest of them are just 'going thru' the motions'. ie moral at an all time low.

COME TO NZ..........

simply if you want to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth that speaks english where you can get a job and start a new life!!

Been here 3 years and NZ has delivered and way surpassed ALL of our expectations. It at times has been hard but we have carved our mark both in our home and our new town. NZ has so much going for it if you approach it with the right attitude. Some would have been far better off going straight to Oz or Canada, some like me and my family adore our new lives. We have so much here that we did not in the UK

Sure we have had to give loads up, we miss europe, all the GREAT stuff about G B and theres lots of it..but most of us have choices.

THINK HARD ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT NEED AND EXPECT!!!

All the negatives about NZ above are very true and I have missed loads out.

The place is full of problems..but will they affect you day to day....virtually all the serious probs in NZ do not impact on most people.

Booshyman intimated that there's an attitude of selfishness in people like me who say 'these problems don't affect me'.

Well when you get to my age and you have left a part of the UK where I had wall to wall shite day in day out I reckon I desereve a bit of peace and quiet and some quality of life for me and my family if I can find it.

I did in NZ.

Pretty much agree with all that.

However, while their may be empty beaches in some remote areas, in more populated areas you are gonna share your beaches with dogs and their poo, and with cars, cos in NZ , yes, they allow cars/quad bikes and motor bikes to drive up and down a lot of beaches. In fact, the beaches are actually designated as roads. Not quite my idea of peace and tranquillity.

Genesis May 6th 2008 6:46 am

In fact, the beaches are actually designated as roads. Not quite my idea of peace and tranquillity.[/QUOTE]

Was at Peka Peka beach (Kapiti Coast) last week in the midst of half term for almost 2 hours..only one motor bike went past me..the same one..six times!!!

Some of the beaches do get chokka with motors..but in the main people drive carefully and I still maintain that every beach I have been on both sides of the north isle are essentialy empty, peaceful and quiet. Can't hear much over the waves anyway my hearing's so bad!!!!!

One of the main reasons I wanted to be here was to be away from the throngs of people....that I have achieved. I can just feel the space here, be it in town at the beach or in my back garden.......there's soooooooooooo much of it.

Agreed you can't eat or spend space but if its what you want ( and is important to you) NZ has lots of it, as does Canada, the US and Oz.

Avid May 6th 2008 7:13 am

COME TO NZ..........

Whilst I wouldn't disagree with the above points, Genesis, you'd have to agree that Australia is almost exactly the same, but with less damp and with better wages*.

So, if you're really going to be an unpaid shill for the NZIS you'll have to try a bit harder! :eek::lol:

*and big spiders.......and snakes........and Australians

Drover Jess May 6th 2008 7:18 am

great post

was it a conscious decision to put the negatives first and positives second?

gives us space any day...

thanks very much for that...

Genesis May 6th 2008 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 6312249)
Whilst I wouldn't disagree with the above points, Genesis, you'd have to agree that Australia is almost exactly the same, but with less damp and with better wages*.

So, if you're really going to be an unpaid shill for the NZIS you'll have to try a bit harder! :eek::lol:

*and big spiders.......and snakes........and Australians

I totally agree Avid. Oz is somewhere that people thinking of moving to NZ should consider afore coming here. Many NZ emigrees and 400,000 kiwis have ended up in Oz.

The downside for some is the phobia of some of the indigenous creatures, the extreme heat and the extreme distances involved in seeing what is your 'back yard'.

I loved my stay in Oz, in some ways I think Oz does offer that utterly idylic lifestyle soooooooo many brits hanker for. Oz is more exotic than NZ IMO.

But for me and a few others NZ is home and the allure of exotica, better wages and a decent administration will not pull us across the Tasman............................................ ...yet!:eek:

A final note. One day I hope I will get paid for my hard work done in promoting NZ (and Palmy!)..warts and all. What goes around..........................

Genesis May 6th 2008 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Drover Jess (Post 6312264)
great post

was it a conscious decision to put the negatives first and positives second?

gives us space any day...

thanks very much for that...

Thank you for the kind comments. Yes it was a conscious decision, I wanted the thread to be 'thought provoking and impactive' at first glance for those still yet to come.

Alas for some folk stuck here suffering all the top bits and not enjoying the bottom bits of the post it is cold comfort.

Batty May 6th 2008 7:56 am

That's a brilliant post Genesis and almost exactly what I've been thinking the last couple of days :D

I'll add ...
If you don't always need everything and everyone to be 'just so' and under your control come to New Zealand :D

Bo-Jangles May 6th 2008 9:20 am

Whilst there's lots I could agree or disagree with in you list of positives and negatives, one thing stands out to me in that all YOUR negatives relate to only 'apparent' national problems. When they are indeed national problems and will of course be more evident in places where there are the most people. So living out in the boonies they would not have a big impact on you.

Whilst YOUR positives are exactly that: YOUR POSITIVES, they are mostly localised to you and where you live. Wouldn't it it then be fair to say that it is more about location, location, location that makes you happy - not NZ as a whole?

You talk of being traffic free and away from the four main centres, yet that's not an option for many of us or potential new migrants. And my gripe would be that the things that NZ is 'sold on' like your idealistic suggestion of being able to surf and swim on THE SAME MORNING, somewhat stretch the truth and gives a false impression of what everyday life here is like. Have you ever done either, let alone both on the same day? Yes it is there, but it would be a four and half hour drive from either Wellington or Auckland and whilst it is an option for people in Christchurch, it would be damn near freezing in the water.

So my conclusion from that is that people more than anything else should choose very, very carefully where in NZ they will settle.