Dogs arrival

Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all
Default Dogs arrival

Hi

Do dogs have to be kept inside when they first arrive? I can remember someone telling me they if they had a passport it was subject to 30 days house quarantine?

True or False?

Becky
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice
Default Re: Dogs arrival

Hi there, I thought i'd read that somewhere as well but just checked the linked page and can't see it. It might have been before pet passports? I'll be bringing 2 dogs with me so will have to find out myself for certain soon.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...maniic.uke.htm
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all

Hi there

Just been checking the site too and again I can't find any mention of house quarantine. Your probably right - maybe it was before passports.

If you find anything definate, could you let me know? I'll do the same

Becky

Who are you shipping the dogs with out of interest?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becky667
Hi

Do dogs have to be kept inside when they first arrive? I can remember someone telling me they if they had a passport it was subject to 30 days house quarantine?

True or False?

Becky
I think it only applies to cats that they should be kept in but this is not for quarantine purposes just to get them used to their new surroundings. When we were at the airport picking our cats up, there was another couple from the UK picking up their dog and they said they'd been told to keep it in for a couple of days and i've heard this before.

I have also heard others with dogs say that they let them out straight away. Apparently they can also suffer jet-lag so an easy couple of days is probably a good thing.

I can strongly recommend Golden Arrow, who are based in Shropshire. They do not have a website but if you are interested, PM me and I will give you details.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:41 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

When we took our dog over he went out as soon as we were an hour up the road - to the beach Once we got home we just let him in our garden for a couple of days, he was a wee bit sleepy and we were so happy to be reunited we just wanted him with us all the time.
I don't remember ever being told we should keep him in though, just that we needed to register him with the local council.

We were told to keep the cats in for, I think, 2 weeks. We tried hard but didn't always manage.

We also used Golden Arrow and were beyond pleased with them.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dogs arrival

Hi

True or False?

Becky
Hi there you are right my son bought his 2 dogs back about 2yrs ago and they had to be kept within the confines of the garden fence for a month.
Sure beats quarantine i deff wouldnt let them be roaming around until then NZ is very strict with its laws and this sort of thing. MAF would not be very Impressed if they heard animals meant to be on home quarantine were having fre run of everywhere.

Good luck, my sons dogs were a chocolate lab and a golden retriever and they travelled very well...They did stick to all the rules regarding not feeding them etc before hand though...They went absolutely nuts the first time they took them to the beach...
Cheers
Cally
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:42 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...maniic.uke.htm

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets

Here's the rules and regulations, doesn't say anywhere that the dogs have to be kept to the confines of your own garden for any period of time, that I could find.
Does say they have to be registered with the council within 14 days of arrival.

There are also links to the testing that needs to be done - but don't panic, Golden Arrow gave us a very detailed information pack with dates of when and what needed to be done. Our vet in the Uk was really impressed with them too.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this rule has been relaxed then it was a deffinate MAF requirement 3yrs ago.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

double post . doh !

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 10th 2008 at 3:03 am.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi

Do dogs have to be kept inside when they first arrive?

Becky
I'm not sure , so I had a dig around. Quarantine rules would be the same for cats & dogs.
We actually kept our cats in for a month. We were advised to do this.

From MAF Biosecurity

......Dogs and cats

The major disease risk for dogs and cats coming into New Zealand is rabies. Dogs and cats coming from rabies free countries such as Australia, United Kingdom/Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Hawaii, and Singapore do not require quarantine, but do require certain pre import tests and treatments and will be inspected for ticks on arrival. ...........
Animals coming from other countries will require varying lengths of quarantine. An animal that has already been in quarantine in another country many not come directly into NZ but will also be quarantined here.

So, it seems if yours is a UK dog which has been living free in the UK for six months prior to entry to NZ, then there is no quarantine. However, I do seem to remember that your pets are required to be kept within the confines of your property for a month. I will see if I can find where this is stated.

The dog will need to be health checked etc prior to coming but a pet exporter will help you with that. i.e. Golden Arrow , Airpets etc.

edited here.... I can only find reference to the 30 day isolation in an ENZ article, so I have emailed MAF direct about this

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 10th 2008 at 3:52 am. Reason: edit to add a bit
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

We came from UK 2 years ago with our two cocker spaniels who love it here!!! We did not need to 'keep them in' However for their health we kept them quiet for a few days as they can suffer dehydration and jet lag same as humans!!! Good luck with them!!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

This is who my sons dogs were shipped with they were brilliant as my son had to leave a few weeks beore the dogs and they boarded them there before they flew over it says on the info here about the 30days so i assume it does still apply.
http://www.petexports.co.uk/newzealand.html
Cheers
Cally
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:41 am
A land far far away

I wonder if the pet export info is correct though, as the MAF site doesn't seem to have it anywhere that I could find, I'm sure we weren't told by anyone to keep the dog in (and we arrived just over 3 years ago) It could be a little like the shipping companies - you know the ones that say no down duvets, no wicker etc, etc when in actual fact you can bring these things in.
I registered Bob the day after he arrived, with the council, and they didnt mention it.
I'm certainly not advocating letting your dog roam free - we never let ours out anywhere without us - but imagine if your first accommodation was an apartment in the city - how could you keep your dog in if you didn't have a garden? Surely a lead walk would be ok, they've been through so many tests to get in in the first place that if they had anything that was a problem it would have shown up and would be dealt with.

Best thing for the OP to do is probably contact MAF direct and get it from the horses mouth! Maybe they are supposed to be kept in and some of us broke the rules unknowingly.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I wonder if the pet export info is correct though, as the MAF site doesn't seem to have it anywhere that I could find, I'm sure we weren't told by anyone to keep the dog in (and we arrived just over 3 years ago) It could be a little like the shipping companies - you know the ones that say no down duvets, no wicker etc, etc when in actual fact you can bring these things in.
I registered Bob the day after he arrived, with the council, and they didnt mention it.
I'm certainly not advocating letting your dog roam free - we never let ours out anywhere without us - but imagine if your first accommodation was an apartment in the city - how could you keep your dog in if you didn't have a garden? Surely a lead walk would be ok, they've been through so many tests to get in in the first place that if they had anything that was a problem it would have shown up and would be dealt with.

Best thing for the OP to do is probably contact MAF direct and get it from the horses mouth! Maybe they are supposed to be kept in and some of us broke the rules unknowingly.
Ah maybe you could be right in that it depends on the company i dont know (the pet export people deff need to change the background colour of their page it was really hard to read white writing on a yellow background lol) But possibly contacting MAF direct would be the best plan things are confusing enough when you are moving let alone to the other side of the world with animals aye...
Anyhow best of luck anyhow
Have a brilliant weekend everyone
Cally
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thats great everyone.

So far have had a couple of quotes that average around £1800 excluding vets fees for a belgian shepherd dog. I've got the list of requirements abd the plane will be that I'll fly out to NZ 2 weeks ahead of hubby and dog to arrange accomodation whilst hubby finalises dog stuff.

Thanks Bev for contacting MAF for me - thats a great help.

Obviously we'll keep the dog in the garden for a couple days but at 2 years old hes playing 24/7 so may be hard......

Can anyone clarify a couple of other questions?

- National park restrictions?
- Walking dog off lead?

Thanks

Becky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.