Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you think I over did it stoking up the fire?

Do you think I over did it stoking up the fire?

Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:39 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think I over did it stoking up the fire?

One Christmas (Boxing Day I think) my brother threw an empty crisp packet into the fire. It flew up the chimney and the next thing we knew was the flames shooting straight up the chimney it was before fire brigades used a 'hoover' to put out a chimney fire so before they arrived we had to take down the Christmas tree (and all the decorations), put it outside the house, take up the carpet, wait for the 'men' to put the fire out, put back down the carpet ...... and then my father made us decorate the tree again "bad luck to take it down before 6 January". That scarred my sister and I. We've never forgotten it.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
No idea what the heck they are, we had coke for the closed in fires or coal for open ones ... you could get smokeless coal too in Leeds ... I told a kiwi that here and he fell about laughing, he had never heard of it
Yep - ours was a metal flue - thats what I meant d'oh! Briquettes = BBQ charcoal!

Ours was the same as yours except it was built into a fireplace space and then up the chimney! The flue collapsed into the inside of the fire (dunno what they're called!) luckily my hubby was home lol
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:44 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Yep - ours was a metal flue - thats what I meant d'oh! Briquettes = BBQ charcoal!

Ours was the same as yours except it was built into a fireplace space and then up the chimney! The flue collapsed into the inside of the fire (dunno what they're called!) luckily my hubby was home lol
Ah lol ok now I understand
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:46 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
One Christmas (Boxing Day I think) my brother threw an empty crisp packet into the fire. It flew up the chimney and the next thing we knew was the flames shooting straight up the chimney it was before fire brigades used a 'hoover' to put out a chimney fire so before they arrived we had to take down the Christmas tree (and all the decorations), put it outside the house, take up the carpet, wait for the 'men' to put the fire out, put back down the carpet ...... and then my father made us decorate the tree again "bad luck to take it down before 6 January". That scarred my sister and I. We've never forgotten it.
My parents always used to just let ours burn themselves out ... Probably an insane thing to do but as a child they made me think it was a perfectly normal occurance!
Like I said the neighbours hated us ... well not us, mostly our dad whom my mum blamed the fires on
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:34 am

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky

Yes the chimney flue is red hot and glowing
Wow that's impressive...thought it was warm there at the mo...what's the temp reaching at night then?
Mandie
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:48 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Wow that's impressive...thought it was warm there at the mo...what's the temp reaching at night then?
Mandie
It was during the day but it rained this evening and felt very cold to me
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:19 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

"bad luck to take it down before 6 January". That scarred my sister and I. We've never forgotten it.
Noooo - it's bad luck if you don't have it down by 5th January (twelth night). All festive decs, tree included, must be away before midnight of the twelth night - which is the 5th of January (not the 6th). I don't think it matters if you take it/them down earlier though.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

and I think you're nice too
Have you been on the turps?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by karonious
Oh, for goodnes sakes, Don't tell Mazi she is nice - she will have to change the whole maner of her postings.
Batty meant to say - you are a wee tyrant Mazi! (whew, saved us all!)
Thank you - at least someone speaks some sense!

Have I ever told you NZ is crap?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Have you been on the turps?
I like you too - hic !!!

Seriously, you make me laugh!

Michelle xx
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

I like you too - hic !!!

Seriously, you make me laugh!

Michelle xx
Oh God, NO!!!!! How has this happened? I was doing so well as Forum Enemy No. 1!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh God, NO!!!!! How has this happened? I was doing so well as Forum Enemy No. 1!
OK, I don't like you then ... you smell you nasty person!

Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

OK, I don't like you then ... you smell you nasty person!

Oh, now that's a bit below the belt - I may be nasty but I don't smell. Even with no hot water to speak of for the past two months, I still wash!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, now that's a bit below the belt - I may be nasty but I don't smell. Even with no hot water to speak of for the past two months, I still wash!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:41 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Even with no hot water to speak of for the past two months, I still wash!
Why does the thought of that make me feel all funny?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.