Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you miss historic Europe?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you miss historic Europe?

Originally Posted by Nerine
I hope they're finished by Christmas! We're just waiting for the Romeo and Juliet tickets to be released so we can book before the good seats go.
I hope so! It seems they first started clearing the rubble in October 2007, and it looked to me like they have an awful long way to go! I believe they are still giving performances and shows though.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:30 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G-J-B
hehe. Sounds like small pangs of homesickness to me. It was my kiwi friend's first time overseas, and nearing the end of her 4 weeks away she was getting seriously homesick for NZ.

Ouch, life membership! Can you pass it on to a family member in the UK?

I'm moving to Paris - I'll probably end up sick of it! My girlfriend's a Parisian, and I can't see her letting me take her away from hustle and bustle of an ancient city, although she is contemplating starting up a B&B in the Pyrenees in a few years time. I'm hoping we can take a holiday to New Zealand next year.
I was in Stratford Upon Avon yesterday. It's a bit of a mess at the moment, as they're rebuilding the Royal Shakespeare Company theatre building by the looks of things. Dirt, scaffolding and barriers all over the parkland down by the river Avon.

Good luck with the move

I'm from Paris myself, the only thing I really miss about home is food I'm lucky enough to be able to fly home once a year though, so it makes it even more special...I'm already gearing up for next September

Jen
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Good luck with the move

I'm from Paris myself, the only thing I really miss about home is food I'm lucky enough to be able to fly home once a year though, so it makes it even more special...I'm already gearing up for next September

Jen
Hi Jen,

Then there are Parisians in NZ! I imagine not too many?
Parisian cuisine varies a great deal, I've had some very memorable meals there, and some terrible ones (along with some atrocious service), but France in general is a gastronomic paradise isn't it.
Thanks for the goodluck wishes. You're very luck to travel back once a year; those flights don't come cheap.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

I guess this questions is posed mainly for ex-pats from Europe. I've just spent 10 days showing my Wellington kiwi friend around historic sites in the UK, which she has been really impressed by.
Do you miss old churches, stately homes, castles and the rich history that's associated with Europe, or do you forget about these things given the beautiful landscape, and different type of lifestyle in NZ?
To the OP: one thing that made me laugh ...when telling kiwi freinds we were going to visit Christchurch for the 1st time, many of them said "oh you will love it...its really english and really old...." (talking about the buildings!)

YER RIGHT!!!! NOT!!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. I surely do.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:22 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
I hope they're finished by Christmas! We're just waiting for the Romeo and Juliet tickets to be released so we can book before the good seats go.
last time we went to the RST we sat directly behind Lord Winston.....he had to sneak in and out to avoid comments about babies and such.........

are you a member at the RSC?
register and you may get notified of seats quicker - binned their emails of late as its making me feel the need for culture......

used to live about 30 minutes away and got there as often as we could fob off the kids......so not that often when they were very young ....... Personally I'd rather have the intimacy of the Swan to the RST.

As far as the gold card goes G-J-B got asked by my mum to leave one behind but I thought that we might loose it if it was used fraudulently...?? Anyway it was mainly for taking the kids to Kenelworth and to the summer jousting and shows.......
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:33 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

No we're not Lardyl - we don't go often enough to justify the cost of membership . We've haven't had problems getting tickets in the past at Christmas time so I'll just keep haunting the website until they become available, should strike lucky.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:59 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jueinnz
...we were going to visit Christchurch for the 1st time, many of them said "oh you will love it...its really english and really old...." (talking about the buildings!)
Well, the buildings aren't that old, but they look oldish. The Arts District on Worcester Street and Christ College is probably what they are talking about.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this questions is posed mainly for ex-pats from Europe. I've just spent 10 days showing my Wellington kiwi friend around historic sites in the UK, which she has been really impressed by.
Do you miss old churches, stately homes, castles and the rich history that's associated with Europe, or do you forget about these things given the beautiful landscape, and different type of lifestyle in NZ?
It's not just expats. I really missed the historical aspect of the UK when I came home after a few years in the UK.

What it made me do though is research the history of NZ.

Young as it may be it NZ history is very complex and interesting.

Like most Kiwi's my heritage in the main is from the NH (apart from my Maori Tipuna that is).
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes I do. It's not so much the individual buildings, but the varied character which they add to places and cities. NZ can seems very bland at times and you long for the different places and the different character of Europe instead of the similar look which many places have here.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Meat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really nice

No offence taken whatsoever! Funny to hear the opinions of the Dutch over in France too; I think the French like to moan about them more than the English. It strikes me as a sort of love/hate affair.
13 years is a long time to be homesick! I'm hoping I won't suffer when in France, but at least I know I won't be on the otherside of the world when wanting to visit friends and family. Thanks for the goodluck wishes.
Hi,
just nosy really, how is France working out.
I´m news to the forum and have just picked up on this old posting.
To my knowledge you have to speak French to live in France, they often refuseto speak another klanguage even if they could.
What are your experiences?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Fun reading all the replies.
I'm actually moving to Paris tomorrow!! You really do need to speak French, but I'm slowly getting there, and my girlfriend is French which helps.

Took my kiwi friend to Christchurch Oxford whilst she was over. She started recognising all sorts of names from both Australia and NZ. For example on the border of Leicestershire, where I've been living, we have the nearby village of Melbourne (which I believe is where the Australian city got its name, I forget the exact history and the name of the person involved), there's also a Wellington down the road, plus several others.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

1) Yes
2) No
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

.. on the border of Leicestershire, where I've been living, we have the nearby village of Melbourne (which I believe is where the Australian city got its name, I forget the exact history and the name of the person involved), there's also a Wellington down the road, plus several others.
Melbourne was named after British Prime Minister William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, who took his title from the village of Melbourne, Derbyshire

Wellington was named after Arthur Wellesley, the first Duke of Wellington and victor of the Battle of Waterloo. His title comes from the town of Wellington in Somerset.

Many other NZ places take their names from British people who never set foot in NZ (as far as I know) , such as Napier, Blenheim, Nelson, Marlborough, Palmerston North, Hastings, Havelock, Clive

However, going back to the original question, its not until you move from a rich heritage like Britain that you really understand the cultural void that there is in New Zealand.

Thats why my conclusion is that NZ looks good at first glance but (and I'm quoting someone else here) scratch below the surface and there is nothing there.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:34 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

There is quite a rich Maori heritage though which is very evident, and also a lot of 'Pakeha' history going back to early settler days that's quite interesting.

You can't expect a lot from a young country with only 4 million or so inhabitants. The culture is there if you know where to look, you're just not going to find it in Louvre-like buildings or grandiose Opera houses. To say the country is totally devoid of culture is wrong, Dame Kiri, Hone Tuwhare and Rowena Othlie Jackson alone would be a testament to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.