Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do poms moan wherever they go?

Wikiposts

Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do poms moan wherever they go?

Originally Posted by colandros
Isnt that just you being sour as you thought you deserved praise for
you w ork and didnt get it.
I'm guessing the college has a reputation to protect in media circles, it will
not its bridges burnt by students writting inapropriate pieces that may upset
certain aspects of society (i have to admit i havent read your article)
As a journalist you will have to follow the brief given you by which ever media
institute you eventually work for, i'm guessing the college are trying to get that accross.
My personal experiance is the exact opposite, I am pushed and encouraged at work
to be a free thinker and perform to the best of my abilities, new ideas are welcomed and opinions are valued.
Both my kids went to a grammer school in the uk, they are both top 5% and always have been. the eldest was top 2% in his english studies
They started at high school here in nz 4 months ago and are streets ahead of their classmates.
They are still being pushed and challenged. They are not being held up in any way. They are the tall poppies and they are flourishing.
Personally i think TPS is a term being used by those who's ego's are greater than their talent.
This isnt meant as a personal dig. I'm just sick of hearing people moan
and blame NZ culture because things didnt work out for them.
The best advice i could give came to me from a kiwi friend,
He told me to "shut up, harden up and get on with it".
It works
I think that is a very valid point, the talent can be improved upon though, it just needs to brought up to the level of the ego and before you can say 'whoopie do' TPS will disappear up its own back passage.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:08 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Isnt that just you being sour as you thought you deserved praise for
you w ork and didnt get it.
No, because it gave me a massive ego boost having it published.

I'm guessing the college has a reputation to protect in media circles, it will
not its bridges burnt by students writting inapropriate pieces that may upset
certain aspects of society (i have to admit i havent read your article)
Unfortunately, the news will often upset members of society.
As a journalist you will have to follow the brief given you by which ever media
institute you eventually work for, i'm guessing the college are trying to get that accross.
Yes, by sabotaging any effort I make to get into print!
My personal experiance is the exact opposite, I am pushed and encouraged at work
to be a free thinker and perform to the best of my abilities, new ideas are welcomed and opinions are valued.
I can see you are a free thinker.

Both my kids went to a grammer school in the uk... They are the tall poppies and they are flourishing.
Personally i think TPS is a term being used by those who's ego's are greater than their talent.
So, your kids have huge ego's do they?

This isnt meant as a personal dig. I'm just sick of hearing people moan
and blame NZ culture because things didnt work out for them.
Nor is this.

The best advice i could give came to me from a kiwi friend,
He told me to "shut up, harden up and get on with it".
It works
Or leave asap!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:22 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek
I think that is a very valid point, the talent can be improved upon though, it just needs to brought up to the level of the ego and before you can say 'whoopie do' TPS will disappear up its own back passage.
yeah right.........so why does anyone bother to discuss it in NZ as it is clearly a figment of our collective imaginations/damaged egos???

BTW, are these over-egoed people those talking about it on the radio/TV/in the press or the people here and if so would you care to elaborate or substantiate with some evidence....

IMHO: smoke, fire, go figure............
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:23 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jokerman
....Or leave asap!
AKA: The last vestige of the "damaged-ego" Kiwi with nowhere to go in an argument.......
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
yeah right.........so why does anyone bother to discuss it in NZ as it is clearly a figment of our collective imaginations/damaged egos???

BTW, are these over-egoed people those talking about it on the radio/TV/in the press or the people here and if so would you care to elaborate or substantiate with some evidence....

IMHO: smoke, fire, go figure............

Don't know Lardyl, what are your symptoms?

Over -egoed was your choice of description not mine, [it is 'super-ego', and somehow I think you know this] and I have no intention of supplying you with any evidence, why should I? You're not too hot with supplying evidence with your postings..... I thought these postings were about 'personal experiences' .

Except for your 'experiences' which are valid of course, but experiences are not facts.... better get those VIP friends of yours around to sort me out, you know the 'those guys' that trust you, give me warning though I need time to hide....

IMHO pot - kettle - black,

Tall Poppy Syndrome as you know full well is not a New Zealand 'thang'.

It is alive and well in UK and Australia too, but not in the USA....
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:38 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by janek
Don't know Lardyl, what are your symptoms?
you see if anyone is personalising these issues and dragging other posters into the debate *about a principle* it is *you*.....
Over -egoed was your choice of description not mine, [it is 'super-ego', and somehow I think you know this] and I have no intention of supplying you with any evidence, why should I? You're not too hot with supplying evidence with your postings..... I thought these postings were about 'personal experiences' .
no you make back-handed comments suggesting that others "fit the bill" and then back off when you real intentions are scrutinised - seen it all before ..... don't know much about Freud, heard the odd thing on TV, are you implying that I am doing a number on you, or I have been to see the shrink recently?? - again obtuse quips seem to leave me curious about what you are thinking...
..the evidence I was asking for was to back these personal and national assertions, as usually people make those sort of accusations based on fact...
....hate to say it but sometimes the only evidence that is worthwhile is personal experience, direct or indirect, however, I do tend to name sources if I am using hearsay or circumstantial accounts - force of habit I'm afraid......
if you do trawl back or ask the mods, they know me pretty well, you'll see my posts are mainly about information - early ones asking for it, later ones giving it , until I get embroiled with people who don't want to debate just slag off "whinging Pomms" or belittle their "experiences or views" or defend NZ to the hilt, ultimately blaming the poster for all its ills and then telling them to toughen up or get lost....do you want to add that??

Except for your 'experiences' which are valid of course, but experiences are not facts.... better get those VIP friends of yours around to sort me out, you know the 'those guys' that trust you, give me warning though I need time to hide....
I mentioned those guys as they are pretty good baraometers of what I do for a living, which is gather information/evidence physical/circumstantial (a bit like the "experiences" you mention) and test it against other evidence using the scientific method - hence I am well known and trusted by some of the very largest legal, commercial and judicial authorities to weigh that evidence, consider whether witnesses are lying, etc and come to a conclusion that they can use to make decisions that sometimes involve hundreds of millions of dollars.....it kinda helps if you are analytical, dogged, objective and able to weigh up evidence and people.....this explains part of why I hate lots of the argument here and lots of the postings by some posters....sorry but I can't help myself......
IMHO pot - kettle - black,
Tall Poppy Syndrome as you know full well is not a New Zealand 'thang'.
It is alive and well in UK and Australia too, but not in the USA....
funny how its mentioned in NZ about 100 times more often than I recall in the UK - but of course if the people who suffer (I would say we all suffer) as a result of it can always get skilled up and take a chill pill then it will of course disappear up their bottom.......yeah, right.....not my argument yours.....
here you go......just please read the original post this time, or you could try reading the quote if that fails.......and then feel free to misconstrue away.......
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:40 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

group hug people group hug please
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

steved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nice

Bloody hell, this is all a bit heavy for a Sunday evening isn't it?

And what has it all got to do with poms moaning anyway?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:59 pm

:
Originally Posted by steved44

you said it ....
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

here you go......just please read the original post this time, or you could try reading the quote if that fails.......and then feel free to misconstrue away.......
no Lardyl, I don't know where you get it from, I have never told anyone that they should get lost, harden up etc. etc.
Sorry if I have confused you
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:03 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by love30stm
group hug people group hug please
you're right, I'll delete the post, eh?

bugger - cat's out of the bag.......
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:06 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Misconstrue - oh dear, well I suppose I am guilty of it too.........
Maybe I should be less obtuse...........
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:10 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by steved44

don't know but I am sure that somewhere a troll is probably soiling themselves with glee watching this unfold.......
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:29 pm

you're right, I'll delete the post, eh?

bugger - cat's out of the bag.......
Lardyl
Old Oct 25th 2008, 11:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No.

Does this give you all a clue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.