Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do points on UK driving licence stop you getting NZ licence?

Do points on UK driving licence stop you getting NZ licence?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:13 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Do points on UK driving licence stop you getting NZ licence?

Hubby has got his second lot of three points today ( ).

Does anybody know if there's a problem getting an NZ driving licence with six points on your UK one?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:43 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do points on UK driving licence stop you getting NZ licence?

Originally Posted by bookemjano

Does anybody know if there's a problem getting an NZ driving licence with six points on your UK one?
I shouldn't think so, speeding doesn't usually affect anything, but just my opinion, I could obviously be completely wrong! AT worst, I guess they may 'transfer' them onto his NZ licence, but I really can't see how they could do that as the 'crime' was committed elsewhere.

Try not to worry! Enjoy your weekend (if you can)

--- BIG HUGS ---
Old Sep 10th 2005, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I would be 99% sure that they do not get transfered as your husband accrued those points by breaking rules that apply in UK. Not NZ.
NZ has the same rules but the whole point system is different etc so as long as you have a valid UK licence you should be able to transfer it.

I know its the other way around but I lost my licence for speeding the day I left NZ for UK.....I transfered my then invalid NZ licence to a UK one no problem.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 5:35 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

I've got 6 points on my UK licence and also got done when I was in NZ. (My God, I'm a career criminal!!) The cop never mentioned my UK points at all, if that was UK it would've been court. He gave me a fine and they have a sliding scale of points - I got 35 for doing 24kms over the top. If you get to 100 you get a ban.
He said to me that NZ points only last a year but each cop has a target of issuing 8 tickets a day. (Incidentally, a Maori told me thet also get paid per arrest, dunno if thats true)

As traffic offences are civil, rather than criminal convictions and we have different ways of measuring the severity of the offence, I doubt very much whether they are transferrable.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:09 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone, very reassuring, especially after he thinks he got snapped again last night!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:56 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Thanks everyone, very reassuring, especially after he thinks he got snapped again last night!
Blimey - If he carries on They'll seek extradition!!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Nah - think you'll be fine - just have to do the written test here - not sure they even ask???? You'll be fine chick - driving here bloody terrible anyway - a few points for drink driving means your better than most here !!! (thats a joke for those who can't laugh)
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:50 am
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

The points thing is purely dependent on what sort of points you are talking about. For example if the points are for 'pedestrians', 'cyclists' or 'domestic pets' then your point score is relevant and likely to affect your NZ licence. A person who has scored 20 points for the elimination of 2 cyclists will gain an enhanment of 1.75 merits on their NZ licence on the basis of 'road clearance' credits. This is because the roads in NZ are not as spacious as in other countries ( ie three lane motorways are unheard of in NZ) and any successful strategy to keep the road system clear of unwanted obstructions (such as Pedestrians or cyclists) are welcomed as a more viable option, in economic terms, than the expansion of the existing highway infrastructure. The larger the target for elimination, the larger the point score. This means that if you can calculate an efficient strategy to remove articulated lorries from the road system in NZ, then you can gain larger credits on your licence score. When I lived in Australia I gained a vast credit score by enticing lorry drivers to their demise by use of a 'lure' in the shape of a concrete cat which the lorry drivers would attempt to 'run over' only to find that control of their vehicles would be lost and they crashed. I gained a significant point score on my licence which enabled me to be permitted an excess alcohol allowance. I ultimately earned enough points to elevate me to 'Boy Racer' status. This allowed me to drive without any restrictions on speed limit and, in hours of darkness, I was permitted a level 5 'without due care and attention' allowance. This proved very useful when engaged in street racing with my drink fired mates. I am looking forward to returning to the antipodes and gaining a 'Megacredit' which will entitle me to streetrace, drive without due care and attention AND to drive while under the influence of drugs and alcohol as well as domecile encroachment rights. (crashing into peoples' houses)

Essentially you could say that the worse your driving record is here in the UK, the better your licence entitlements will be in NZ.

Disclaimer
Please note that the opinions expressed here are entirely formed from an overactively stimulated mental function nodule which has been enhanced by non organic means. The brain function of this portion of the site is proportional only to the intellectual output as a function of complicity in time. Any statments made to circumvent the polarity of reason must be extrapolated to equate with bovine excremental factors in proportion with the gravity of allegations.

Last edited by Sega Mad; Sep 11th 2005 at 12:54 am.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
The points thing is purely dependent on what sort of points you are talking about. For example if the points are for 'pedestrians', 'cyclists' or 'domestic pets' then your point score is relevant and likely to affect your NZ licence. A person who has scored 20 points for the elimination of 2 cyclists will gain an enhanment of 1.75 merits on their NZ licence on the basis of 'road clearance' credits. This is because the roads in NZ are not as spacious as in other countries ( ie three lane motorways are unheard of in NZ) and any successful strategy to keep the road system clear of unwanted obstructions (such as Pedestrians or cyclists) are welcomed as a more viable option, in economic terms, than the expansion of the existing highway infrastructure. The larger the target for elimination, the larger the point score. This means that if you can calculate an efficient strategy to remove articulated lorries from the road system in NZ, then you can gain larger credits on your licence score. When I lived in Australia I gained a vast credit score by enticing lorry drivers to their demise by use of a 'lure' in the shape of a concrete cat which the lorry drivers would attempt to 'run over' only to find that control of their vehicles would be lost and they crashed. I gained a significant point score on my licence which enabled me to be permitted an excess alcohol allowance. I ultimately earned enough points to elevate me to 'Boy Racer' status. This allowed me to drive without any restrictions on speed limit and, in hours of darkness, I was permitted a level 5 'without due care and attention' allowance. This proved very useful when engaged in street racing with my drink fired mates. I am looking forward to returning to the antipodes and gaining a 'Megacredit' which will entitle me to streetrace, drive without due care and attention AND to drive while under the influence of drugs and alcohol as well as domecile encroachment rights. (crashing into peoples' houses)

Essentially you could say that the worse your driving record is here in the UK, the better your licence entitlements will be in NZ.

Disclaimer
Please note that the opinions expressed here are entirely formed from an overactively stimulated mental function nodule which has been enhanced by non organic means. The brain function of this portion of the site is proportional only to the intellectual output as a function of complicity in time. Any statments made to circumvent the polarity of reason must be extrapolated to equate with bovine excremental factors in proportion with the gravity of allegations.
Hi Ali

Great to see you - how the heck are you and Phyl - mail me at home - or PM me - take care

Shellie