Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do Kiwis like dogs?

Do Kiwis like dogs?

Old May 26th 2005, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of
Default Do Kiwis like dogs?

Do people in NZ like dogs? There seems to be restrictions on where you can take them, total ban in someplaces and every rental property or holiday home that allows dogs say you must keep them outside.It would be nice to hear from a Kiwi that actually loves dogs as much as we Brits do.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:25 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do Kiwis like dogs?

Kiwis loved our dog... bloody spoilt him with ham bones lol

Alot of Kiwis that we met have dogs but mostly for hunting.

There not as into dogs as maybe the brits are and there are alot of banned breeds over there but also you dont see alot of strays. Majority we met dont look at dogs as pets, mostly working dogs.

Remember when you arrive have your dog registered with the local council. Fees are very cheap about $50 a year. If you dont you will get fined.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Thanks for that scottish. Here is a picture of my baby.
Attached Thumbnails Do Kiwis like dogs?-al-sorts-115.jpg  
Old May 26th 2005, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

This is a good one in Scarborough
Attached Thumbnails Do Kiwis like dogs?-al-sorts-093.jpg  
Old May 26th 2005, 5:48 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow what a beauty.....meant that dog lol
Old May 26th 2005, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lizard
Do people in NZ like dogs? There seems to be restrictions on where you can take them, total ban in someplaces and every rental property or holiday home that allows dogs say you must keep them outside.It would be nice to hear from a Kiwi that actually loves dogs as much as we Brits do.
The answer to that question would honestly be - Yes - and NO! I don't think the kiwis are as much of a dog loving nation as we brits are. I have a pooch - called Darwin, a lovely red boxer. He is very much a part of the family and my children love him to bits. He sleeps inside and comes inside the house as much as possible. Kiwis ten to have dogs as property protectors, hunting dogs and working dogs. I say mostly - because as always its HUGE generalisation to say all kiwis! Generally though most people here keep their dogs as outside pets. Again - not ALL do. It is very restricted as to where you can walk your dogs. I happen to think that whilst its a pain in the butt for th dogs - its good for everyone else. Not everybody is a responsible dog owner - and you don't see dog poo all over the paths and walkways here like you do at home - a) because people are more responsible dog owners and environmentally, and b) becuase you are restricted where you can walk your dogs on and off the lead. You can walk your dog anywhere on a lead - as long as you clean up. The problem lies in finding somewhere you can give your pooch a good run, off the lead. So, like I said its a yes and a no! I have lots of friends with dogs here - you are also restricted as to how many dogs you can own as well by the way. All my kiwi friends love animals, but like I said a lot have their dogs living outside. It seems they are becoming more and more of a house pet though. Hope this helps - and here's my pooch!

Wearing his crown! LOL.

Hope this helps?????
Old May 26th 2005, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Very Regal, thanks for your comments
Old May 27th 2005, 3:56 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
Of course Kiwis like dogs. Yes there are bans imposed on dogs in some places but thats only because of the stuff dogs tend to leave on the ground. For example most beaches will have restrictions but there is normally an area set aside somewhere on the beach where you can take your dogs to run & play in the water. The restrictions during the summer months are usually tighter than the rest of the year & they sometimes have set hours where they ask you not to let your dogs run free but its usually quite workable. As for some people saying Kiwis dont love dogs as much as Brits, Im sorry but I dont believe that at all. I lived there for over 40 years & never lived without a dog. Most of my family & friends had dogs too so I guess it just depends on where you go etc. As for someone saying that kiwis mainly have dogs for hunting, well thats news to me. I honestly dont know one single Kiwi myself that owns a dog for hunting so I guess I didnt move in those circles.The one thing Kiwis dont like about dogs is more the owners that dont take proper care of their dogs & let them roam free around the streets all the time. Its not the dogs that are the problem more unresponsible owners but thats just my opinion so dont come down on me for that one!
Old May 27th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shepslady
Of course Kiwis like dogs. Yes there are bans imposed on dogs in some places but thats only because of the stuff dogs tend to leave on the ground. For example most beaches will have restrictions but there is normally an area set aside somewhere on the beach where you can take your dogs to run & play in the water. The restrictions during the summer months are usually tighter than the rest of the year & they sometimes have set hours where they ask you not to let your dogs run free but its usually quite workable. As for some people saying Kiwis dont love dogs as much as Brits, Im sorry but I dont believe that at all. I lived there for over 40 years & never lived without a dog. Most of my family & friends had dogs too so I guess it just depends on where you go etc. As for someone saying that kiwis mainly have dogs for hunting, well thats news to me. I honestly dont know one single Kiwi myself that owns a dog for hunting so I guess I didnt move in those circles.The one thing Kiwis dont like about dogs is more the owners that dont take proper care of their dogs & let them roam free around the streets all the time. Its not the dogs that are the problem more unresponsible owners but thats just my opinion so dont come down on me for that one!

ooo errrr - sorry - I did not mean to offend shepslady - honestly - hopefully you know me better than that?? I know lots of people here with 'pigdogs' and my neighbour is our vet and he is constantly having to patch them up after they have been pig hunting. (Also recently had a freind whose 4 year was attacked by 'pigdogs' as they have never lived in the house or been with the family - they weren't hers but were at a house she was visiting). (He is OK too). I don't mean't mean Brits love our dogs more - the RSPCA will be testament to that - but just that there is more of a need for working dogs here than at home, hence at home in the UK most dogs are purely pets and live in the house and with the family all the time.

I also said that to say all kiwis was a generalisation and that really by its not the same for everybody. I only meant to say that in my opinion - so far in my experience more dogs live outside here than did at home, and that there are more working dogs etc. I also agreed with you and said that I though it was a good thing that there was restictions to stop the dog poo everywhere.

So once again sorry - did not mean to offend but, i do know a fair few folk with hunting dogs - for pig hunting, duck shooting, and shooting clubs. I also said I was trying not to generalise to the whole country. Sorry.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:21 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwis seem to have a much better/ healthier attitude to dogs than us Brits - ie dogs are kept in their place and not allowed to interfere in other people's lives.

I saw quite a few looks of dislike or antipathy headed towards dogs in public throughout my travels in NZ and I guess there are just quite a few people there who are not dog-friendly. You certainly don't see anything like as many dogs in public.

Here in Central Europe we do what most owners do apart from lapdog owners and keep our dog outside all year. Result - house much cleaner and doesn't smell of dog. I was a bit uncertain about winter as it gets to minus fifteen C quite regularly but our dog just grew an extra thick coat and never suffered at all. She is still every bit as much a family dog as you'd imagine a cocker spaniel to be.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:24 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
ooo errrr - sorry - I did not mean to offend shepslady - honestly - hopefully you know me better than that?? I know lots of people here with 'pigdogs' and my neighbour is our vet and he is constantly having to patch them up after they have been pig hunting. (Also recently had a freind whose 4 year was attacked by 'pigdogs' as they have never lived in the house or been with the family - they weren't hers but were at a house she was visiting). (He is OK too). I don't mean't mean Brits love our dogs more - the RSPCA will be testament to that - but just that there is more of a need for working dogs here than at home, hence at home in the UK most dogs are purely pets and live in the house and with the family all the time.

I also said that to say all kiwis was a generalisation and that really by its not the same for everybody. I only meant to say that in my opinion - so far in my experience more dogs live outside here than did at home, and that there are more working dogs etc. I also agreed with you and said that I though it was a good thing that there was restictions to stop the dog poo everywhere.

So once again sorry - did not mean to offend but, i do know a fair few folk with hunting dogs - for pig hunting, duck shooting, and shooting clubs. I also said I was trying not to generalise to the whole country. Sorry.
Its ok Sunshine I wasnt offended at all by your comments. Its obvious where you live there is more of a need for a working dog than in the City where I lived. Most dogs were pets & many inside dogs too. Ive been a dog lover all my life & if I had my way my dog would be in the bottom of my bed at night & I know the thought of that would horrify some people but thats just the way I am In reference to Dons post if you clean your house regularly having a dog live in it doesnt always make it smell doggy!

Last edited by shepslady; May 27th 2005 at 4:28 am.
Old May 27th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shepslady
Its ok Sunshine I wasnt offended at all by your comments. Its obvious where you live there is more of a need for a working dog than in the City where I lived. Most dogs were pets & many inside dogs too. Ive been a dog lover all my life & if I had my way my dog would be in the bottom of my bed at night & I know the thought of that would horrify some people but thats just the way I am In reference to Dons post if you clean your house regularly having a dog live in it doesnt always make it smell doggy!

Thanks Shepslady - returning the favour Thanks heaps. I wouldn't go out of my way to offend. Hope you liked the photo of my pooch - actually hopingto get anothe but this time a HUgarian Viszlar.
Old May 27th 2005, 1:28 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

We do like dogs... normally with some alfalfa beans and a nice chianti...
Old May 29th 2005, 4:04 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

My sons dog Indiana, Indy for short.

Indy with my dog Stienie not too long before he passed away. As you can see they were a huge part of our family & were right at home in the spare room lazing on the bed after a good run on the beach!