Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reassuring Noises Please

Reassuring Noises Please

Old May 28th 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

frecka is on a distinguished road
Default Reassuring Noises Please

My partner has really taken the head-staggers about the current drug smugling debacle -
So much so she wants us to change our plans and not go through Singapore! The flights are already paid for - I really won't mind having to possibly forfeit what we have paid for her peace of mind - but before we come to this I want to try and make her see that Singapore don't have the same problems as Indonesia or Thailand - and that we can secure our backpacks to minimise the risk of someone tampering with the luggage.
Can anyone please help us come to a rational decision about this?

thanks
Old May 28th 2005, 12:38 pm
pompeymike

Default Re: Reassuring Noises Please

Originally Posted by frecka
My partner has really taken the head-staggers about the current drug smugling debacle -
So much so she wants us to change our plans and not go through Singapore! The flights are already paid for - I really won't mind having to possibly forfeit what we have paid for her peace of mind - but before we come to this I want to try and make her see that Singapore don't have the same problems as Indonesia or Thailand - and that we can secure our backpacks to minimise the risk of someone tampering with the luggage.
Can anyone please help us come to a rational decision about this?

thanks
Has there ever been a problem in Singapore? I've heard of problems in Thailand and obviously more recently in Bali but Singapore? I've stopped over in Singapore more times than I can remember over the last 30 years and I've never heard of any problems regarding drugs. Singapore is very popular with tourists travelling across the globe and they welcome you with open arms, they are nothing to do with any drug rings and you can reassure your partner that this is a safe place to travel through.

Mike

Old May 28th 2005, 4:49 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike's right, Singapore is just as modern as LHR or JFK. Nobody is going to try and stick 5 kilos of marijuana in your luggage, period.

Just don't try and smuggle any chewing gum in
Old May 29th 2005, 4:48 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Tell your partner not to worry about passing through Singapore. The place is one of the safest Ive ever been in & there is not a problem with drugs like you will have heard about in Indonesia, Thailand & Bali. Singapore is a fascinating place that Im sure you will both enjoy. I wouldnt change my travel plans at all just relaz & enjoy it.
Old May 29th 2005, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shepslady
Tell your partner not to worry about passing through Singapore. The place is one of the safest Ive ever been in & there is not a problem with drugs like you will have heard about in Indonesia, Thailand & Bali. Singapore is a fascinating place that Im sure you will both enjoy. I wouldnt change my travel plans at all just relaz & enjoy it.
We've also been through and stayed there for a few nights and its beautiful and perfectly safe. Tell him not to worry it will be fine. - Have a safe trip.
Old May 29th 2005, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

frecka is on a distinguished road

Thankyou all very much for your reassurance - its a good reality check