Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do families live in Dannemora?

Do families live in Dannemora?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough
Default Do families live in Dannemora?

Hiya, well we've been here for 4 months already and have been enjoying life in the countryside, but now it's time for real life to start. My hubby has got a job in the Pakuranga/Howick area and I'm trying to find somewhere to live close by so that he has a small commute. I was originally planning on the Howick/Cockle Bay area but am only seeming to find quite old houses there, and don't fancy spending winter in a drafty box. So I was wondering about the Dannemora/Botany Downs areas, I've had a little drive around them and there are definitely some lovely houses but cos they're all new it's hard to tell what the area is really like. I'm a stay at home mum and have a 4 year old and a 2 1/2 year old and need some decent primary schools, play groups, other young children around.

So my question is - are there families in Dannemora/Botany Downs? Or is it an area where it's empty during the day cos everyone is in the city working?

Thank you to anyone who can help me
Cheers
Gina.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice
Default Re: Do families live in Dannemora?

Hi There

We have lived here for just over 2 years we find it convenient for our needs, I have two boys 10 and 12 and they went/are are at Point View Primary.Eventhough the role is near 800 it does not feel like a big school.Ive found the teaching to be good but they stopped homework last year but expected to do spellings maths and reading.The school is well supported by parents and teachers we have just had a father and son night run by the male teachers and soon to be a mother and daughter evening to.Theres a dedicated tech teacher and music teacher.
Yes the houses are new here some come with some heating you will have to watch for the school zones here try to keep at the top end as the plots are larger and dont come to far over to the right hand side near the temple as you will be in the flight path.
There is quite a mix of nationalities here and quite a high no of asians while iI have no isues some do as they give my son a run for his money at maths which is good for him.
Ive seen a playgroup on Kilkenny and there are a few day centres dotted about.

Karen
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Superwoman x 5 will become famous soon enoughSuperwoman x 5 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Do families live in Dannemora?

Originally Posted by ginabridget
Hiya, well we've been here for 4 months already and have been enjoying life in the countryside, but now it's time for real life to start. My hubby has got a job in the Pakuranga/Howick area and I'm trying to find somewhere to live close by so that he has a small commute. I was originally planning on the Howick/Cockle Bay area but am only seeming to find quite old houses there, and don't fancy spending winter in a drafty box. So I was wondering about the Dannemora/Botany Downs areas, I've had a little drive around them and there are definitely some lovely houses but cos they're all new it's hard to tell what the area is really like. I'm a stay at home mum and have a 4 year old and a 2 1/2 year old and need some decent primary schools, play groups, other young children around.

So my question is - are there families in Dannemora/Botany Downs? Or is it an area where it's empty during the day cos everyone is in the city working?

Cheers
Gina.
Hi Gina,
We are a family of 4 living in Dannemora/botony area we have been in Nz for 3 months . I have twins who are 3 1/2 yrs and have there name down for kindi in Dannemora they should get a place when they are 4 yrs old so not long to go . I
I Take them to the local church St Columba it is near the ice rink it is on every morning from 9.15am till about 11.30am and you stay withthem it is run well it costs only $4 per family and i feel it has is great friendly place to take my kids and I have made a few friends as well .
My older kids Emma is at Point view primary and it has lots of good reports and I have found it to be a fantastic school and she has settled in very well.My other son Conner is at Sommerville Intermediate and getting on better now he has been making some friends.
I do feel the neighbours keep them selfs to them selfs our next door to the right are kiwis and have been great telling us which beaches are good etc, on the otherside to us we have not even spoke...and I dont think they will...
most folk who pass in the steat smile and say hello so I find it a lovely place to stay I have no worries here. I hope this helps you if you want you can pop around for a coffee and area and chat and see the house just pm me and we can arrange it no problems thanks julie
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Minky and Supermanx5 those replies were both really helpful. I seem to be spending my life on tradme and allrealestate sites trying to find somewhere to live. I originally wanted to be in the cockle bay area for the primary school there but the school zone is really small and I'm struggling to find any houses to view. I'm really pleased to hear what you've got to say about Point View Primary this is a school that I hadn't researched yet and it sounds quite good. I'm trying to stay north of the Flatbush area, although most of the houses available to rent seem to be down that way. It's interesting what you say about the plot sizes being slightly bigger at the top end, if I can find some houses available up there I'll definitely look at them.

I'm trying to arrange several houses to view this weekend but the agents are really reluctant to make appointments for viewing rental houses, they seem to think that I should do a drive-by and then they'll see if they've got time to let me view it, they don't seem to grasp the concept that I'm traveling 2 hours to look at these houses

Thanks for your info, any other info on the Howick/Botany Downs area would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Gina
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Superwoman x 5 will become famous soon enoughSuperwoman x 5 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Do families live in Dannemora?

Thanks Minky and Supermanx5 those replies were both really helpful. I seem to be spending my life on tradme and allrealestate sites trying to find somewhere to live. I originally wanted to be in the cockle bay area for the primary school there but the school zone is really small and I'm struggling to find any houses to view. I'm really pleased to hear what you've got to say about Point View Primary this is a school that I hadn't researched yet and it sounds quite good. I'm trying to stay north of the Flatbush area, although most of the houses available to rent seem to be down that way. It's interesting what you say about the plot sizes being slightly bigger at the top end, if I can find some houses available up there I'll definitely look at them.

I'm trying to arrange several houses to view this weekend but the agents are really reluctant to make appointments for viewing rental houses, they seem to think that I should do a drive-by and then they'll see if they've got time to let me view it, they don't seem to grasp the concept that I'm traveling 2 hours to look at these houses

Thanks for your info, any other info on the Howick/Botany Downs area would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Gina
I know how it feels regarding trying to get a agent to help you.
we had a great lady helping us from Barfoot & Thompson called Linda Hill , she helped us find our rental .She was the only one who was wanting to work maybee you should try her she was a big help. the web site is www.barfoot.co.nz
maybe you will get help from her, hope this help you out i know how hard it is having been there and done it!!

Thanks julie
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Brilliant - thank you. I'm waiting for Century 21 to ring me about some houses in Bucklands Beach....think I'll be waiting for a while. I'll give Linda at Barfoot & Thompson a call.

Cheers
Gina
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough

Cheers
Gina.
hi there Gina.Hope I can be of some help.We moved into Dannemora mid August and so far so good.Plenty of good schools but preschool places a bit thin on the ground.Beaches only a short drive,shops on your doorstep and fairly accesible to other places.There are plenty of kiddy groups scattered about and also plenty of things for older kids to do.Hubby works in the city and catches the ferry from Half Moon Bay.Takes him about 15 mins to the ferry then another 30 mins on the ferry to the city.Beats the tube into London.Anything else I can help with let me know.