Dishwasher Salt

Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:32 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Dishwasher Salt

Hi
Just a small point, but does anyone know where we can get dishwasher salt in NZ?

Apparently were not supposed to need it in NZ, because the water is soft. But were on borehole water, which is quite hard

We have a European made (but NZ bought) dishwasher which just doesnt wash properly without salt and leaves a milky deposit all over the glassware.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:14 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dishwasher Salt

dunno about buying it separately, though i think i've seen it in countdown or somewhere (i'll look this week when there!) but i'm sure some of the 'all in one' tablet thingies have everything you could ever want in them, including salt? i know they're more expensive, but maybe you could just use them if you've got glasses in the wash? (or of course, the expense may not be an issue!!)

Think i may have seen bags of eco-salt in the healthfood place here too... i'll try and remember to look there as well!

finally, i know some people swear by using biological washing powder instead... but i've no idea if that's worth a go or not!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Hi
Just a small point, but does anyone know where we can get dishwasher salt in NZ?

Apparently were not supposed to need it in NZ, because the water is soft. But were on borehole water, which is quite hard

We have a European made (but NZ bought) dishwasher which just doesnt wash properly without salt and leaves a milky deposit all over the glassware.

Any ideas?
Go to Farmlands. Buy their 25kg sacks of salt. They are about $11 and will last you years. I buy this salt for my pool chlorination and I have been using it in my dishwasher for years. Salt is salt is salt. It does the job.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I buy the all in one tablets which mean you don't need the separate salt and I haven't been able to find it either which is why I switched to the all in one tablets in the first place.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I buy the all in one tablets which mean you don't need the separate salt and I haven't been able to find it either which is why I switched to the all in one tablets in the first place.
Aren't they really expensive though? I use only a tiny amount of powder (I used to use loads) and find I get a better wash with less and save heaps. Its also more environmentally friendly and I reckon an $8 container lasts me about to 6 months. How much would 6 months of tabs cost? I use the washer once a day every day.

Also have stopped using the rinse aid..now use the cheapest white vinegar..does just the same job..infact better!!! The salt thing only needs filling about once every 3 months.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Aren't they really expensive though? I use only a tiny amount of powder (I used to use loads) and find I get a better wash with less and save heaps. Its also more environmentally friendly and I reckon an $8 container lasts me about to 6 months. How much would 6 months of tabs cost? I use the washer once a day every day.

Also have stopped using the rinse aid..now use the cheapest white vinegar..does just the same job..infact better!!! The salt thing only needs filling about once every 3 months.
How do you use the vinegar? Just asking as i have always found rinse aid crap . In our rental i have been handwashing as its only a 1 drawer dish washer here but i will be using proper dishwasher when we move. I did use it when we first arrived and used the powder but found i would need to run the thing 3 times a day as washer so small so figured handwashing saved time. but im so over it lol
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
How do you use the vinegar? Just asking as i have always found rinse aid crap . In our rental i have been handwashing as its only a 1 drawer dish washer here but i will be using proper dishwasher when we move. I did use it when we first arrived and used the powder but found i would need to run the thing 3 times a day as washer so small so figured handwashing saved time. but im so over it lol
Just fill up the bit you normally fill up with the rinse aid. Done. Which is nice.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Just fill up the bit you normally fill up with the rinse aid. Done. Which is nice.
going to give this a go when we move and i will let you know how i find it, just cheapest white vinegar ?

thanks for this tip btw
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
going to give this a go when we move and i will let you know how i find it, just cheapest white vinegar ?

thanks for this tip btw
Yip. Cheap as chups budget stuff.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stoof
dunno about buying it separately, though i think i've seen it in countdown or somewhere (i'll look this week when there!) but i'm sure some of the 'all in one' tablet thingies have everything you could ever want in them, including salt? i know they're more expensive, but maybe you could just use them if you've got glasses in the wash? (or of course, the expense may not be an issue!!)

Think i may have seen bags of eco-salt in the healthfood place here too... i'll try and remember to look there as well!

finally, i know some people swear by using biological washing powder instead... but i've no idea if that's worth a go or not!!!!
well... i checked out countdown and the healthfood place and neither had salt i know i've seen it somewhere! they did have loads of biological washing powder tho!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bin Inn?

Just a wild stab in the dark to be honest.

I'm going to try the white vinegar tip also.
it;s the first time we've ever had a dishwasher and I find the rinse aid last no time at all and priced like black gold for what it is.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Our water doesn't need either rinse aid or salt and only half powder compared with "hard waters-ville" where we lived in the UK!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:11 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice

We'll certainly be trying them out
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by lardyl
Our water doesn't need either rinse aid or salt and only half powder compared with "hard waters-ville" where we lived in the UK!
I read somewhere , a looong time ago and it is but a dim and distant memory now, that hard water is better for you than soft water. I come from a hard water area too Lardyl.

I had to get used to using just a sprinkle of wash powder in the washing machine (front loader) if I didn't want the house to be covered in bubbling suds, but I still find I need a rinse aid of some sort in the dishwasher.