British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dishwasher Salt (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dishwasher-salt-639591/)

NakiMan Nov 8th 2009 6:32 am

Dishwasher Salt

Hi
Just a small point, but does anyone know where we can get dishwasher salt in NZ?

Apparently were not supposed to need it in NZ, because the water is soft. But were on borehole water, which is quite hard

We have a European made (but NZ bought) dishwasher which just doesnt wash properly without salt and leaves a milky deposit all over the glassware.

Any ideas?

Stoof Nov 8th 2009 8:14 am

Re: Dishwasher Salt

dunno about buying it separately, though i think i've seen it in countdown or somewhere (i'll look this week when there!) but i'm sure some of the 'all in one' tablet thingies have everything you could ever want in them, including salt? i know they're more expensive, but maybe you could just use them if you've got glasses in the wash? (or of course, the expense may not be an issue!!)

Think i may have seen bags of eco-salt in the healthfood place here too... i'll try and remember to look there as well!

finally, i know some people swear by using biological washing powder instead... but i've no idea if that's worth a go or not!!!!

Genesis Nov 8th 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by NakiMan (Post 8080638)
Hi
Just a small point, but does anyone know where we can get dishwasher salt in NZ?

Apparently were not supposed to need it in NZ, because the water is soft. But were on borehole water, which is quite hard

We have a European made (but NZ bought) dishwasher which just doesnt wash properly without salt and leaves a milky deposit all over the glassware.

Any ideas?

Go to Farmlands. Buy their 25kg sacks of salt. They are about $11 and will last you years. I buy this salt for my pool chlorination and I have been using it in my dishwasher for years. Salt is salt is salt. It does the job.

luvwelly Nov 8th 2009 9:21 am

I buy the all in one tablets which mean you don't need the separate salt and I haven't been able to find it either which is why I switched to the all in one tablets in the first place.

Genesis Nov 8th 2009 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 8080888)
I buy the all in one tablets which mean you don't need the separate salt and I haven't been able to find it either which is why I switched to the all in one tablets in the first place.

Aren't they really expensive though? I use only a tiny amount of powder (I used to use loads) and find I get a better wash with less and save heaps. Its also more environmentally friendly and I reckon an $8 container lasts me about to 6 months. How much would 6 months of tabs cost? I use the washer once a day every day.

Also have stopped using the rinse aid..now use the cheapest white vinegar..does just the same job..infact better!!! The salt thing only needs filling about once every 3 months.

CarolineSwan Nov 9th 2009 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8082332)
Aren't they really expensive though? I use only a tiny amount of powder (I used to use loads) and find I get a better wash with less and save heaps. Its also more environmentally friendly and I reckon an $8 container lasts me about to 6 months. How much would 6 months of tabs cost? I use the washer once a day every day.

Also have stopped using the rinse aid..now use the cheapest white vinegar..does just the same job..infact better!!! The salt thing only needs filling about once every 3 months.

How do you use the vinegar? Just asking as i have always found rinse aid crap . In our rental i have been handwashing as its only a 1 drawer dish washer here but i will be using proper dishwasher when we move. I did use it when we first arrived and used the powder but found i would need to run the thing 3 times a day as washer so small so figured handwashing saved time. but im so over it lol

Genesis Nov 9th 2009 12:33 am

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 8082511)
How do you use the vinegar? Just asking as i have always found rinse aid crap . In our rental i have been handwashing as its only a 1 drawer dish washer here but i will be using proper dishwasher when we move. I did use it when we first arrived and used the powder but found i would need to run the thing 3 times a day as washer so small so figured handwashing saved time. but im so over it lol

Just fill up the bit you normally fill up with the rinse aid. Done. Which is nice.

CarolineSwan Nov 9th 2009 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8082536)
Just fill up the bit you normally fill up with the rinse aid. Done. Which is nice.

going to give this a go when we move and i will let you know how i find it, just cheapest white vinegar ?

thanks for this tip btw

Genesis Nov 9th 2009 1:54 am

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 8082542)
going to give this a go when we move and i will let you know how i find it, just cheapest white vinegar ?

thanks for this tip btw

Yip. Cheap as chups budget stuff.

Stoof Nov 9th 2009 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 8080784)
dunno about buying it separately, though i think i've seen it in countdown or somewhere (i'll look this week when there!) but i'm sure some of the 'all in one' tablet thingies have everything you could ever want in them, including salt? i know they're more expensive, but maybe you could just use them if you've got glasses in the wash? (or of course, the expense may not be an issue!!)

Think i may have seen bags of eco-salt in the healthfood place here too... i'll try and remember to look there as well!

finally, i know some people swear by using biological washing powder instead... but i've no idea if that's worth a go or not!!!!

well... i checked out countdown and the healthfood place and neither had salt :confused: i know i've seen it somewhere! they did have loads of biological washing powder tho! :teeth_smile:

BEVS Nov 10th 2009 5:20 am

Bin Inn?

Just a wild stab in the dark to be honest.

I'm going to try the white vinegar tip also.
it;s the first time we've ever had a dishwasher and I find the rinse aid last no time at all and priced like black gold for what it is.

lardyl Nov 10th 2009 10:55 am

Our water doesn't need either rinse aid or salt and only half powder compared with "hard waters-ville" where we lived in the UK! :thumbsup:

NakiMan Nov 10th 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice

We'll certainly be trying them out

BEVS Nov 10th 2009 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8086816)
Our water doesn't need either rinse aid or salt and only half powder compared with "hard waters-ville" where we lived in the UK! :thumbsup:

I read somewhere , a looong time ago and it is but a dim and distant memory now, that hard water is better for you than soft water. I come from a hard water area too Lardyl.

I had to get used to using just a sprinkle of wash powder in the washing machine (front loader) if I didn't want the house to be covered in bubbling suds, but I still find I need a rinse aid of some sort in the dishwasher.