Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Did the earth move for you????!!!!!!

Did the earth move for you????!!!!!!

Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:19 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the earth move for you????!!!!!!

Originally Posted by crap coffee
no worries guys about the earth move

you will get just used it
Getting used to not feeling it? Uh... OK.

Originally Posted by Tay
Do the schools still have earthquake drills?
Yes they do, daughter has had a couple in Year One.

And please do feel free to say hi in the Introductions forum.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Getting used to not feeling it? Uh... OK.

Yes they do, daughter has had a couple in Year One.

And please do feel free to say hi in the Introductions forum.
They must be might powerful drills if they can cause earthquakes
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:39 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Oh arf arf...
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Felt it in Johnsonville, my first ever earthquake , hundreds of miles away! What was impressive was how long it lasted, i would say at least 10-15 seconds of gentle rocking.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:03 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't feel it at all and I am usually super paranoid and HATE earthquakes.

I put it down to the fact I was tottering down Cuba Mall at that time with a wine bottle in one hand, my handbag in the other and trying to talk on a cell phone. If the earth moved i would have just put it down to stumbling in high heels after drinking wine!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by irnbru14

We felt it here in Mapua outside of Nelson. It shook the house quite hard, just the once.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:38 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Didn't feel it at all and I am usually super paranoid and HATE earthquakes.

I put it down to the fact I was tottering down Cuba Mall at that time with a wine bottle in one hand, my handbag in the other and trying to talk on a cell phone. If the earth moved i would have just put it down to stumbling in high heels after drinking wine!
Brilliant, karma for that! I'll drink to that *raises champagne glass* (no, not kidding, it's to accompany the chocolate-covered strawberries they came round with 30 minutes ago at work )
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Colleagues of mine said they felt the tremor whilst sitting in the cinema in Porirua last night! Wife said she didn't feel a thing (but that's a different story)
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kiwis

I've just sneaked over from the Oz forum just to see if you guys know how bad (truthfully) that earthquake was.

Reason is my aunt, uncle and cousins live in Gisborne and I can't get through on the phone. Not sure whether it is because the lines are down or the network is just busy.

I've read the news report but it's better than getting it how it is from peeps who are there.

Thank you
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:44 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Colleagues of mine said they felt the tremor whilst sitting in the cinema in Porirua last night! Wife said she didn't feel a thing (but that's a different story)
TMI!!!

Originally Posted by crystal23
Hi Kiwis

I've just sneaked over from the Oz forum just to see if you guys know how bad (truthfully) that earthquake was.

Reason is my aunt, uncle and cousins live in Gisborne and I can't get through on the phone. Not sure whether it is because the lines are down or the network is just busy.

I've read the news report but it's better than getting it how it is from peeps who are there.

Thank you
Well there were no deaths and no serious injuries. The phone networks, including mobile, are dodgy right now though. There have been some aftershocks as well, too. If you have a look here at the feedback, they might even have posted, you never know. Sorry I can't be more help, I didn't even feel it.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
TMI!!!

Well there were no deaths and no serious injuries. The phone networks, including mobile, are dodgy right now though. There have been some aftershocks as well, too. If you have a look here at the feedback, they might even have posted, you never know. Sorry I can't be more help, I didn't even feel it.
Thanks very much for the link. It's much more informative and detailed than what I've already read. It's incredible that little Gisborne is in that mess and the tremor was felt so far north and south.

I'll keep trying the phones all day - just thankful nobody died or had serious injuries.

Many thanks again.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tay
Do the schools still have earthquake drills?
I discovered that they do when I was reading a dinosaur book to some 5yo.

The story line had an earthquake in it and so I asked the kids what they should do if they were in an earthquake... floods of responses about getting out of the house, diving under a table, getting in a doorway and if you couldn't do any of those, curling up and protecting your head!

I was quite surprised!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I felt it in Porirua - it was quite a biggie, abit spooky. I was at work at Keneperu Hospital on the 3rd floor. A big sturdy building, but it seemed to sway.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:30 am
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice

We definitely felt the earth move in Waikanae.
The house shook from side to side but nothing fell off the shelves. Mind you most of it is still in boxes on the kitchen floor and in the garage.
Kids were very excited but disappointed it wasn't as strong as the exhibition house in Te Papa museum. John and myself were just thankful it wasn't, bit of a worried moment there but putting on a brave face for the kids. Whew!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:58 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by crystal23
Thanks very much for the link. It's much more informative and detailed than what I've already read. It's incredible that little Gisborne is in that mess and the tremor was felt so far north and south.

I'll keep trying the phones all day - just thankful nobody died or had serious injuries.

Many thanks again.
Crystal, any news? Is everyone OK? Houses undamaged? Fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.