Dental care

Old Jul 24th 2013, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dental care

Hello all,

I fell foul of NHS waiting lists before I left for NZ, was told by my dentist in early April that I'd be waiting about 8 - 10 weeks for surgery on my impacted wisdom teeth. 10 weeks later a letter for an initial consultation arrived on my doormat for a date one week before I was due to leave the UK.

I rang my dentist and explained the situation and was advised that they could do the surgery at the dentist however when I arrived and sat in the chair he refused and said he'd never agreed to this. Another story for another time. Anyway having been informed that I NEEDED surgery under anaesthetic I was told I could not go private as they only did the surgery I needed under the NHS. I rang around everyone in the UK and pleaded with them to see if they could move me up the lists but no luck.

Now I've been sensible and got myself health insurance but my teeth won't be covered as they're both a pre-existing condition and the insurance won't cover them until I've been on the policy a year.

My question is: Is there are scope for asking the NHS to pay some of the costs of my treatment as I'm still only on a temporary visa here and NZ have reciprocal health agreements with the UK.

I accept that this may not be the case and if so I will just have to lump it but hey don't ask don't get.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental care

highly unlikely, in fact no. dentists are private here and very very expensive. having gone through what I went through here a few months ago I really wish I had gone to the dentist in the UK more regularly! 2 different NZ dentists, 3 fillings later and 1500-2000 dollars later my teeth seem OK for now.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the exact cost of root canals ($thousands). Braces average $7000. Scary money.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely recommend health insurance in nz.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marblep
I don't know the exact cost of root canals ($thousands). Braces average $7000. Scary money.
I>M>E> Root canals in NZ at top end practice in Wellington are about NZ$1,000 (or NZ$1500 if an endodontist does it) for a molar tooth. If it also needs a crown that is extra but you can wait months before getting that, in fact it is wise to do so to ensure the tooth has truly settled.
You can get really high quality care in NZ but as it is in no way subsidised by NZ Government for adults, it is costly.

I thought I'd miss my Wellington dentist but have found equally good one back in UK (private not NHS though).

Last edited by luvwelly; Sep 7th 2013 at 5:06 pm. Reason: add more
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

lafayette louisiana is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd personally definitely advocate health insurance throughout nz.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I had and do still have health insurance. It just doesn't cover my wisdom teeth because they are pre-existing.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:31 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an impacted wisdom tooth in nz and this is what it cost -

$120 for the initial dentist visit plus xrays
$2000 approx (forgotten exact amount but is was over 2k) to see an oral surgeon and have it taken out - I elected to get partially knocked out as they give you this amazing stuff where you don't remember anything.
$100 to go back to the dentist for a follow up filling on the molar that the wisdom was impaction on.
Also the nurofen needed afterwards is not subsidised if its dental so I must have spent $50 on that.

So not a cheap experience in nz - my cousin had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out for free in the uk in a hospital when they got infected. She said she went to the desk to check out and could not believe it when they told her there was no charge...
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Anniemannie is an unknown quantity at this point

At least $1000 to get them removed
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

For the record for anyone who reads this and panics I had my teeth out three weeks ago. Both of them done in the chair at the same time without sedation. Took about a week to recover but I was fine to go back to work after two days on a soup diet.

$400 for one and $360 for the other.

My UK dentist was just all manner of rubbish. I could have done without this stress but the NZ dentist was absolutely brilliant and I got finance so am paying it back in my own time pretty much stress free.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So. Very differing prices for the extraction of wisdom teeth.

I suppose it depends how many, whether they are impacted and what sedation/pain relief one needs.

An actual Wellington Dentist website states this.

hat does it cost to remove wisdom teeth? At Wellington dentists the cost will be $180-$450 for one wisdom tooth (depending on complexity), for two wisdom teeth it would be between $320-$650 for three between $470-$800 and four between $600-$1050.
Here is an Auckland dentist website showing costs.They state this
Problem diagnosis or consultation fee $75 (or with x-rays $85)
Note: If we do the work on the day, the consultation is free
Fillings $120 to $300
Root Canal Treatment – front teeth $650
Root Canal Treatment – back teeth $750 – $1,100 (depending on complexity)
Extractions (Normal Teeth) $170 – $300
Wisdom Teeth Removal $170 (straightforward) up to $350 (difficult)
Wisdom Teeth removal (complex) we quote after a consultation and x-ray
The above costs are typical. If a jaw x-ray (OPG) is required, this is an added $65.
If complications arise or are already present, there can be additional costs, but we will always quote.
All prices include GST.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:43 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes mine was complex as it was an oral surgeon rather than a dentist as my dentist said it would be too complicated for a plain dentist to do, also I had a drip anesthetic(can't spell) which means that you are awake but feel no pain at all and it feels like only 5 mins has gone by and that costs about a grand alone, the prices quoted by ordinary dentists are when you have only a local injection, what I needed was more full on. Also my surgeon was rather awesome as he saved the next door molar whereas a lesser dude may have taken it out as well, as i really did not want to lose my other tooth as well.

Its the same with a a hairdresser - I would rather pay $150 for my haircut, even though I can get it done for $40 but I would not be as happy with the result.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Any anesthesia is going to be expensive.

When my pusscat needs his dental , it's a general anesthetic or the vet will suffer big time. Cost $800+

Attachment 113907

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 16th 2013 at 10:48 pm.