Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Delia Smith or Edmonds cook book?

Delia Smith or Edmonds cook book?

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of
Default Delia Smith or Edmonds cook book?

Does anyone else love their Edmonds cook book? I'm not a keen cook or particularly good - just ask my husband and that is why I like it. Everything is measured out in cups or spoons, chucked in a dish and comes out perfect.
My M-in-L sends me the new edition whenever there is one.

Delia on the other hand does my head in with her long lists of obscure ingredients. I got her book on my wedding 17 years ago and have never used it.

Boring topic for some I know, but I am curious.

martyc.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:15 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delia Smith or Edmonds cook book?

Originally Posted by martyc
Does anyone else love their Edmonds cook book?
martyc.
Edmonds Cook Books usually end up on the best sellers lists every year. NZer's love their Edmonds Cook Book's.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Delia's stuff always works but I agree...takes forever and ridiculously long ingredients lists.
I have an Edmonds but have never opened it lol. I think I must eat out too much.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Have used some of Delia's recipes which have worked. Not seen the Edmonds cook book. I didn't like their custard powder so I would be sceptical of their recipes. It would be hard to divorce me from my Rosemary Conley low fat recipes. Well, ya gets to like things, yes ?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:27 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It's Delia for me though that might be partly because our Edmonds is about 30 years old. It was inherited from Mr S's mam...
Having said that I only use DS's book for the basic stuff like how long to cook a roast and the recipe for Yorkshire puddings [I can now make them!! No more hockey pucks-as Mr S calls them] Never tried any of her proper recipes.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I have an Edmonds but have never opened it lol. I think I must eat out too much.
Me too!

I also have a habit of winning cookery books as prizes - but they stay unopened (latest win was Anabelle Langbein).

I love watching all the foodie shows on TV but rarely cook anything exciting.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martyc
Does anyone else love their Edmonds cook book? I'm not a keen cook or particularly good - just ask my husband and that is why I like it. Everything is measured out in cups or spoons, chucked in a dish and comes out perfect.
My M-in-L sends me the new edition whenever there is one.

Delia on the other hand does my head in with her long lists of obscure ingredients. I got her book on my wedding 17 years ago and have never used it.

Boring topic for some I know, but I am curious.

martyc.
I love my Edmonds too. My Mum loved it also, and bought one to take back with her when she came over for Christmas. She uses it all the time
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

My first attempt to cook for Mr C was kebab skewers. They came out as unidentifiable lumps of cinder on a stick. He was seriously unimpressed. Therefore, I credit Edmonds for saving my marriage.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
though that might be partly because our Edmonds is about 30 years old. It was inherited from Mr S's mam...

Having said that I have my mum's Elizabeth Craig cookbook and it's a brilliant 'how to' book. Especially out here where there is more game meats and pies . More real home baking.
I have the old UK Dairy Book of Home Cookery and that's really one of my bibles in a way.

Looked at Delia and Edmonds .Wouldn't bother with either.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Delia Smith or Edmonds cook book?

Originally Posted by BEVS
I have the old UK Dairy Book of Home Cookery and that's really one of my bibles in a way.
Maybe you could have that written on your grave stone? "Home cookery fulfilled her in a way Jesus never could" .
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I have heaps of cookbooks; my most loved and thumbed are Rachel Allen. I only have one old Delia book 'Summer' as I don't generally like her style and went off of her years ago when she went along the 'assemble' route.

Edmonds is just a tad too far back in the dark age for me, reminds me too much of mid 1970s deprivation. I need pictures too. I do quite like Alyson Gofton (Kiwi) and have a few of hers on the shelf.