Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Deaparate for accomodation in Auckland

Deaparate for accomodation in Auckland

Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:53 pm
big dave

Dave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the rough
Default Deaparate for accomodation in Auckland

Hi All.
Posted this already but can't find it anywhere so here we go again!
I am arriving in Auckland on 1st August to try and secure employment so that myself and the family can come and settle in NZ. Thought I'd found the perfect place to stay. The Columbard @$220 to $320 a week. Rang up to book only to be told that web site is wrong and cost is $195 for a three day stay.
So, guys and gals , your mission, should you choose to accept it is to, recommend a place to stay for around two months in central (ish) Auckland.
Please reply ASAP as I need to get it booked.
Cheers
Dave
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:59 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Deaparate for accomodation in Auckland

Hi Dave

Will it just be yourself? If so, there are plenty of backpacker hostels in and around the CBD that would offer a deal on weekly rates.

We survivied for two months in the Oceanic Hostel on Anzac Ave with a double room for $200/week, until we were able to sort out a job, work permit, rental etc.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:12 pm
big dave

Dave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the rough

Hi There.
Just me for the moment until job sorted. Have been loking at Bond Street Lodge, $175 per week shared facilities. Do you know if it's OK? The location seems quite central.
Cheers
Dave
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

There's the YMCA on the corner of Pitt Street and Grays Avenue too - they have accommodation.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:15 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave-G
Hi There.
Just me for the moment until job sorted. Have been loking at Bond Street Lodge, $175 per week shared facilities. Do you know if it's OK? The location seems quite central.
Cheers
Dave
No idea.

If you are on your own, then get yourself booked for one night. Then spend the next day having a little tour around, until you find yourself something you are comfortable with.

Also if you are thinking of getting a car, parking can be a real pain in the backside, with many central places not offering any car parking facilities.

Grab yourself a copy of the Lonely Planet for a good list of Auckland hostels or check out www.bbh.co.nz
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:51 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'd ditto Beachcombers, it can be very tempting to get something booked for the whole time that you're here, but finding accommodation is really easy, so find something for you to kip down in for the first night and then start looking around, you may find it is cheaper to even get a rental on a studio flat (central Auckland has a glut of appartments) - you can then negotiate with the landlord and get a 4 or even 2 week notice clause in your tenancy rather than being restricted to a x month fixed rental agreement.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dave-G
Hi There.
Cheers
Dave
Can recommend Bond Street. Adie stayed there for three weeks whilst looking for somewhere. Just been done up, parking ok, friendly staff. Individual rooms with shared facilities. Any questions give him a PM.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

We have booked into Quest Nelson Street. One bed flat with kitchen, and laundry facilities for around $350 per week inclusive of electricty and heating.

Quest are a chain of holiday rental appartments. Nelson Road was the cheapest by far.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I've stayed in two quest places - Taupo and Melbourne - both very nice so the chain probably has high standards
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:13 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

When I first arrived in New Zealand I was on my lonesome and so I stayed at the YMCA on Pitt Street. The location is superb with the CBD right there about a five minute walk to Aotea Square.
The price was alright, NZ$150 a week all in for the first month and then I think I got a NZ$30/week discount after that. The beds were crappy foam mattresses covered with threadbare bedsheets. That was over five years ago. I'm sure there are different beds and the prices have surely gone up.