Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The day from hell !!

The day from hell !!

Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about
Default The day from hell !!

Hi

Just as we thought things were going along swimmingly.First of all i found out that my dad has been made redundant after 35 years service,then to top it all off i phoned the embassy to check we had all the correct paper work for a 2 year working visa only to find out that because my job offer is for a permanent position we have to get police checks and meds.This is completely different to the advice an agency gave us.Now we are going to have to start from scratch and go for our PR which we were going to do when we arrived in NZ.I'm not looking forward to telling my prospective employers that we are having to delay our arrival. :scared: .

Hope tomorrow turns out better as I'm car booting( does anyone want to buy some Rollerblades:-).

Thats my moan for the day.

Jon
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:33 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The day from hell !!

Originally Posted by jrsuk73
Hi

Just as we thought things were going along swimmingly.First of all i found out that my dad has been made redundant after 35 years service,then to top it all off i phoned the embassy to check we had all the correct paper work for a 2 year working visa only to find out that because my job offer is for a permanent position we have to get police checks and meds.This is completely different to the advice an agency gave us.Now we are going to have to start from scratch and go for our PR which we were going to do when we arrived in NZ.I'm not looking forward to telling my prospective employers that we are having to delay our arrival. :scared: .

Hope tomorrow turns out better as I'm car booting( does anyone want to buy some Rollerblades:-).

Jon
Crikey Jon, you have had a helluva day haven't you!!

I think you might find that you can still go on a work visa but you just have to get meds and police checks done because you are intending to stay for more than six months - and you can then still apply for PR once you get there...I haven't had a proper look into it so could be talking out of my rear end so please don't take this advice as gospel - check on the NZIS website for work to residence and it should give you the guidelines on there - I've had one too many glasses of fizz to be sensible at this time of night but will have a look for you in the morning if you like.

Car booting is great - we've made a fortune the last two weekends - good luck with it...and no thanks to the roller blades!! Wanna buy some books???

Edit:- this is where you need to check Jon...http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...1016June10.pdf

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Aug 26th 2005 at 10:40 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Jon
Aww mate sounds like a pants day,

as for the work permit, i got mine for a year without any meds or vacs, my agency said you can get in for upto 2 yrs without the need for meds, i would check with the immigration service, they are usually well helpful,

good luck and let us know how it goes

Sugo
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:45 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Have you seen the programme on Bravo called Britains toughest pubs? There was a fella on there who fell off a railway bridge and got hit by a train. He survived but was unconcious. The train driver radiod it in and a rescue train was despatched to help our fallen hero.
The train went belting up the track in darkness.......and promptly chopped his leg off.

Things could always be worse!!!!

Have some Karma and wishes for a great day to come.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 4:16 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Jon
Wow Jon Life can suck some times huh? Sounds like youve had more than your share for one day. Hope things work out ok for your Dad & that you manage to sort this visa thing out so it doesnt delay your arrival for your new job. Maybe after a good nights sleep things might look brighter in the morning.
Sending some goodluck Karma your way.

Cheers
Shepslady
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future

A good phrase is
Everything comes to he who waits....................

also

Things can only get better........................

lets hope that it comes true.

good luck with your new approach

JoannaD
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoannaD
Things can only get better........................
Tell that to the guy who fell off the railway bridge....
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toontje
Hi Toon,

LMAO..... Haven't seen you around for awhile. Nice to see ya!!

regards
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to you all, a better day today. Still haven't sold my roller blades though and my beloved WESTBROM lost to a team i can't even bring myself to type let alone say.

About the 2 year visa yes we can go in on this type of visa if we have our meds and police checks but it would mean paying for things twice when we come to our PR. So if there is anyone else thinking of going in on a temp visa you must have a start and finish date and it must end within the stated time scale either 2 or 3 years.You will need meds and checks for the 3 year but not the 2 year ( the 2 year is provided for start and finish date falls within the 2 years ).

Anyway thanks again to you all

Jon
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Hi Toon,

LMAO..... Haven't seen you around for awhile. Nice to see ya!!

regards
I read a few of the NZ threads every weekend and sometimes feel the need to reply, but not very often. Maybe you could visit the Lounge every once and a while?
Old Aug 28th 2005, 5:39 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

I read a few of the NZ threads every weekend and sometimes feel the need to reply, but not very often. Maybe you could visit the Lounge every once and a while?
Nice to see you too Toon & love your new avatar
Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shepslady
Nice to see you too Toon & love your new avatar
My dog runs faster than yours.....
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

Thanks to you all, a better day today. Still haven't sold my roller blades though and my beloved WESTBROM lost to a team i can't even bring myself to type let alone say.

About the 2 year visa yes we can go in on this type of visa if we have our meds and police checks but it would mean paying for things twice when we come to our PR. So if there is anyone else thinking of going in on a temp visa you must have a start and finish date and it must end within the stated time scale either 2 or 3 years.You will need meds and checks for the 3 year but not the 2 year ( the 2 year is provided for start and finish date falls within the 2 years ).

Anyway thanks again to you all

Jon
We put in our EOI in June 2004 (100 points). Sold up and came here in October on visitor visa's (took a gamble). EOI pulled out November. Got job so applied for a 2 year work permit (so no medical required) and the permit took 4 weeks to get (had to provide letter from employer stating that they couldn't find anyone locally with my experience, along with a copy of their advertising campaign and the invoice for the ad's). December were invited to apply for residency so got medicals over here (actually really easy and we get to keep our own x-rays, cool). February residency accepted so work visa's upgraded to residency with 18A conditions (have to stay in job for 3 months). June provided letter from employer that I am permanent and got new residency visa without 18A conditions.

My job offer was a permanent position from the start and no end date was ever asked for or given for the work permits. I dealt with immigration in Auckland for the work permit and they couldn't have been more helpful. Maybe things are different when dealing with London?

Cheers,
John
Old Aug 29th 2005, 1:34 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

My dog runs faster than yours.....
He sure does Toon but as you can see mine prefers to sit on the side lines & watch from a distance. Have to admit I would make him move a bit more if I could but hes a lazy little devil