Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people migrate to NZ from Developed Nations?

Why people migrate to NZ from Developed Nations?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:36 pm
ps1
Just Joined

ps1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why people migrate to NZ from Developed Nations?

Hi All,

This is a very general question running in mind for the past few days. I just wonder why people from U.S, U.K, Canada and other European countries move to New Zealand while their nations are already developed and which in turn will have better quality of life in terms of education, health, safety, standard of living etc. People from developing nations migrate so as to attain above things and even to earn wealth because of disparity in currency values.

The main reason why I am asking this question is I have been granted Permanent Residence in New Zealand and now that I am interested, my company is going to keep me in US for longterm. So, I am in dilema as to which one to choose.

Any comments on this is highly appreciated.

Regards.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why people migrate to NZ from Developed Nations?

Here's my reasoning
- NZ is sparsely populated, and I hate crowds and love open spaces, latter seem to be v rare in UK
- UK overpopulated and getting worse, sick of getting stuck in a traffic jam every time I try to go anywhere for the weekend
- NZ's cities are in nice parts of the country, by the coast, not stuck in nondescript inland areas like Bristol, Manchester, Swindon etc etc
- A personal thing, but my line of work in UK (IS/defence engineering) limits me to London or M4 corridor and I have no affinity to either. Auckland much nicer
- If you have accumulated capital in UK, it goes much further in NZ. Auckland house prices are $ to £ compared to regions commutable to London
- better climate than UK
- I was brought up there and had a great childhood doing real things like camping on unspoilt beaches rather than the diet of theme parks, shopping, big Macs, and the yearly exped to Orlando which is what middle England seems to enjoy or aspire to
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ps1
Well, my first comment would be that NZ is also considered a developed nation.

And consequently, has things like healthcare, jobs, a standard of living that isn't hand to mouth and all those other things that make a developed country a developed country.

My partner and I left the UK because we were both pissed off with the weather, the crowds, the traffic, the expense and all the usual things that make people want a bit of a change. Besides, I think everyone should go and live in another country for at least a year or two, it broadens the mind and does you good to be able to experience other cultures.

Personally, in your situation, I wouldn't know what to do either. The US is a nice place to live and work by all accounts (depending on where you are of course) but it is slightly marred by the fact that it is 'run' by a warmongering crazy redneck with his finger hovering over the proverbial big red button...

And NZ is run by Helen Clark (well, not 'run' exactly, more like 'mollycoddled by' I suppose) so we're one up there for sure.

It all depends on whether you want to earn loads of money and be stressed a lot or whether you want to be more relaxed but nowhere near as cash rich. We chose the latter, at least for the time being.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

what brought you to the UK and how long do you intend to stay and why did you leave New Zealand?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 12:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ps1

The main reason why I am asking this question is I have been granted Permanent Residence in New Zealand and now that I am interested, my company is going to keep me in US for longterm. So, I am in dilema as to which one to choose.
What do you mean by 'my company is going to keep me in US for longterm'?

Are they going to sponsor you for a Green Card. *Can* they sponsor you for a Green Card? How long will you have to wait? What if you get fired in the meantime (before GC is issued) - happens all the time in the US.

You've got a decision to make, if you wait in the US for a Green Card and you get fired before it comes through, your chance to live in New Zealand may be gone for good.

Find out the facts and then decide.

Jeremy
Old Aug 25th 2005, 4:45 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ps1]Hi All,

This is a very general question running in mind for the past few days. I just wonder why people from U.S, U.K, Canada and other European countries move to New Zealand while their nations are already developed and which in turn will have better quality of life in terms of education, health, safety, standard of living etc. People from developing nations migrate so as to attain above things and even to earn wealth because of disparity in currency values.

So am I to take it from your comments that NZ is on your list of underdeveloped countries then??? If that being the case why would you even consider making a move like that??
Last time I was home I recall seeing lots of schools, universities, hospitals, doctors offices & wow even saw houses with running water & electricity too Maybe you need to stay where you are & continue furthering your education because it sounds like your knowledge of NZ is very limited to me...... sorry folks I just had to get that off my chest
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

do you mean me or ps1?

Originally Posted by ranbysue
what brought you to the UK and how long do you intend to stay and why did you leave New Zealand?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:41 pm
isv
Forum Regular

isv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ps1
Hi All,

Regards.
Perhaps this might be useful...?

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.pdf
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:23 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isv
Interesting thanks isv.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:20 pm
ps1
Just Joined

ps1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think everyone has her/ his own reasons to go to New Zealand. I need time to make my decision so that I never look back.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:22 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ps1
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think everyone has her/ his own reasons to go to New Zealand. I need time to make my decision so that I never look back.

So very true but just because NZ is a small country compared to others it still astounds me why you class it as an underdeveloped country! Have you ever been there yourself & what are you basing your opinions on
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shepslady
So very true but just because NZ is a small country compared to others it still astounds me why you class it as an underdeveloped country! Have you ever been there yourself & what are you basing your opinions on
I really don't think ps1 is saying NZ is undeveloped, so chill
He/she probably meant to say 'from other developed countries'?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:39 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by Markk
I really don't think ps1 is saying NZ is undeveloped, so chill
He/she probably meant to say 'from other developed countries'?
No need to chill as I wasnt letting myself get worked up over it just found it a particularly peculiar comment & was simply curious but like you say maybe it was just not worded properly which is easy to do on here
Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:54 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
I don't think the OP meant to imply that NZ was underdeveloped.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 4:11 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by Sue
I don't think the OP meant to imply that NZ was underdeveloped.
Cheers Sue
Like I said in my posting above that maybe the OP just didnt word it well & I misunderstood it & I wasnt being defensive just curious. Think maybe thats a fault of mine, if I dont understand something I always ask.....OH is always telling me sometimes my thirst for knowledge drives him crazy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.