Dare you tell us?

Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:03 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare you tell us?

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Following on from the "Its anough to put you off"...

I callange you all to state why you visit this forum and why you post!!!
Challenge accepted

I was pointed to this site by a chap who was also looking to leave the UK for NZ, and so at first came on to use it as a resource, to answer questions that google couldn't help with, and to use this forum to get people's views on their move to NZ.

That wasn't all that long ago, and since then I've received support from those already in CC, our destination city, been succesfully pointed to a short-term rental, got details of a good real estate agent in the area, and been offered a free pick-up from the airport when we arrive on Thursday morning.

Not a bad start, eh?!

I've also read of the negatives, and used them in a positive way by discussing them with my wife, and also using them to avoid other people's mistakes/ misfortunes. Thankfully we don't shop in M&S much, and aren't massive on sausages It's made us aware of the lower wages to cost of living ratio, and of the difficulty for a teacher to get a permanent contract in CC. As a result we've restructured our budgets, so that we've doubled the time expected to get permanent work to 6 months, and have made contingencies for after that too. We've also discussed about moving around within NZ to secure the 12 month teaching contract Toni will need for us to apply for residency.

All of this, and so much more, would have been sprung on us from this coming Thursday onwards if it weren't for the doomsayers and negative threads on here. I feel that we've used them positively, and that even if we don't particularly like what we hear, at least we can be prepared for it, and make the necessary changes or allowances to our expectations so that it won't overly affect the final outcome, and that is to be happy and successful with our move. And not just within the 3 years we've given ourselves, but in the many years that I hope will follow. If all was just happy happy, joy joy, rose tinted specs on here, then we'd have been gutted to learn that it wasn't the case once we'd arrived.

So, to conclude: Positives are great. Negatives are great. The mix of both has helped us out immensely, and OK, it's a shame if it sometimes gets a bit bitchy, but throw a pinch of salt into the mix and I think that this board is one of the most useful and entertaining that we've joined. These are the reasons we visit and post on here, to fact find, network and plan.

Blimey, look at me?! I do bang on a bit. Ah well, maybe it's the jet-lag. Wonder if I'll still think the same in 3 years? The best bit about it is, we will have a great adventure finding out

Wiz
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dare you tell us?

I came on the forum to find out as much as poss. about NZ-I read positive and negative thread and pass on info to hubby . Prefer to be a positive poster and don't enjoy the bitching stuff. I made heaps of friends when posting on OZ forum (had hoped to live in OZ but couldn't get visa) and still chat to them. Apart from enjoying the kiwi bar chat and cyber friends I hope that I'll get to meet a few of these lovely peeps when we do a recce and then move to NZ and continue to make friends with both Kiwis and BEs in NZ.
Helen
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in NZ and am married to a Kiwi. We are now emigrating to Oz - while researching the move I found this site. I posted a bit about our experiences in New Zealand on this forum.

Then I was asked to be a moderator on both forums.....

Buzzy
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

i like learning about new places, i hope to move to oz in the near future but also having seen nz on travel guides on the tv would like to visit also.
I started the kiwi bar as a place for people to have a general chat. Also i find it interesting to see people points of view on where they live and compare different places .
Mandy
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:29 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Following on from the "Its anough to put you off"...

I callange you all to state why you visit this forum and why you post!!!

But lets not let it degenerate into a slagging match and no bitchiness!!! Because it just turns people off!!!

I will start as I am not ashamed of my reasons...

I post because I believe that people should be given as much information about the NZ from people who have experienced the upheaval, so i like to think that I am helping! Yes I am a positive member.
Entertainment. Posting throwaway comments about NZ. Venting frustration, and hopefully pissing a few people off along the way.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:25 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I come here to champion, truth, justice, and the Kiwi way or in other words, to ensure the line is drawn between fact, opinion, and drivel

Sometimes I come here cos I like to get the lowdown on how people are finding NZ and if poss maybe be able to offer a bit of advice or insight about my homeland (sometimes a few of us have just shared recipes or that here too!). I do also post in OZ and MBTUK forums, cos currently I live in OZ and also have an interest in heading over to the UK at some stage.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:39 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Entertainment. Posting throwaway comments about NZ. Venting frustration, and hopefully pissing a few people off along the way.

Please bear in mind that deliberately antagonistic behaviour may result in mod action.

Buzzy
Old Jan 17th 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice

I first used this forum when we were in the process of moving, and found it really helpful- I certainly was made aware that it is not the "paradise" that I had imagined. I am glad, as it was not such a shock when we made the move, and its also good to know that others share the same experiences.
I post occasionally if I can help or give my opinion, and I watch....because its addictive!!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

I have a part time job that I job share. The person I job share with is very 'methodical' (ie takes ages to do anything) and therefore I usually have my day's work finished by around 10am. Thus I 'space out' my day online I'm trying to get this situation addressed, but until then....

Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

I'm here because I got flung off another forum ...

But seriously, I've only ever wanted to help share my experiences as a middling family without major qualifications or high earning incomes, who are just bumbling through life and trying to make the best of what we've got! Joe Average if you like
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dlmckay
I'm here because I got flung off another forum ...

But seriously, I've only ever wanted to help share my experiences as a middling family without major qualifications or high earning incomes, who are just bumbling through life and trying to make the best of what we've got! Joe Average if you like
What did you do? and which forum
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Orrsim will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I first looked at this site probably about June last year, by this time the tickets were booked to NZ but nothing else at all was organised and that is the way we have played it all along. We knew we were heading for Wellington but the rest was open and I wanted to find out some basic info, work, health etc...... just to give me some really basic ideas.

I was completely put off by everything I read, not about coming to NZ but just about using this forum at all. I could not believe the amount of negative comments, I started to think that the whole move was a big mistake, low wages, hard to find jobs, food is crap, people are crap.... the list goes on. It is probably the most useless site about moving to NZ ever and I would seriously take everything with a giant pinch of salt.

The reason I am posting today is because I just remembered this site and thought I should jump on and for those who really do use it as a useful tool, let you know that my experience of moving here has been entirely positive.

We found a place to live and well paid jobs in the fields we left within 2 - 3 weeks of arriving, we are now getting down to settling in and just enjoying life.

I'm not saying that moving is the easiest thing ever and some days are good and some are bad at first, but when you make a major change to your life this has got to be expected.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:38 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orrsim
Hi,

I first looked at this site probably about June last year, by this time the tickets were booked to NZ but nothing else at all was organised and that is the way we have played it all along. We knew we were heading for Wellington but the rest was open and I wanted to find out some basic info, work, health etc...... just to give me some really basic ideas.

I was completely put off by everything I read, not about coming to NZ but just about using this forum at all. I could not believe the amount of negative comments, I started to think that the whole move was a big mistake, low wages, hard to find jobs, food is crap, people are crap.... the list goes on. It is probably the most useless site about moving to NZ ever and I would seriously take everything with a giant pinch of salt.

The reason I am posting today is because I just remembered this site and thought I should jump on and for those who really do use it as a useful tool, let you know that my experience of moving here has been entirely positive.

We found a place to live and well paid jobs in the fields we left within 2 - 3 weeks of arriving, we are now getting down to settling in and just enjoying life.

I'm not saying that moving is the easiest thing ever and some days are good and some are bad at first, but when you make a major change to your life this has got to be expected.
cool!

And so funny!
There are some of us who really do try to inject a bit of positivity.

Really happy for you that things are going so well, we are delighted with the move as well - yes! Really! We are.

Ps I post here just cos I do, really. There are some lovely people.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kwprwn
What did you do? and which forum
I flashed the mod!
Nah, I had the misfortune to be embroiled in a "he said, she said" situation and got barred... hey ho.

It's the site with the horse truck and float picutre above the forum. Can't type the name here - it disappears! LOL
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Orrsim
Hi,

well said Orrsim

the negativity still hangs around but as you say you learn to take it with a pinch of salt

welcome back and karma sent to you (if mine bloody works )

major changes are always going to create stress in life, sometimes good sometimes bad

all good for me so far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.