British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dare you tell us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dare-you-tell-us-419099/)

jueinnz Jan 15th 2007 7:02 am

Dare you tell us?

Following on from the "Its anough to put you off"...

I callange you all to state why you visit this forum and why you post!!!

But lets not let it degenerate into a slagging match and no bitchiness!!! Because it just turns people off!!!

I will start as I am not ashamed of my reasons...

I post because I believe that people should be given as much information about the NZ from people who have experienced the upheaval, so i like to think that I am helping! Yes I am a positive member.

dash1965 Jan 15th 2007 7:09 am

Re: Dare you tell us?

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4285154)

But lets not let it degenerate into a slagging match and no bitchiness!!! Because it just turns people off!!!

I post because I believe that people should be given as much information about the NZ from people who have experienced the upheaval, so i like to think that I am helping! Yes I am a positive member.

Hi Jeuinnz,

I visit this forum for my research and to see other peoples experiences. I have managed to apply for PR without the need for an agent so it does save money to visit these forums as there is always a wealth of experience and advice to draw on.

I think it is useful to hear of others thoughts good and bad but I always keep an open mind and will make my own judgement when the time comes.

I too try to be a positive person.

poppets Jan 15th 2007 7:21 am

i orginally started visiting this forum to find out info on NZ (we had already been granted our PR by the time i found the site)
i still post here cos i enjoy the 'chatting' to other members & seeing how other expats are getting on & enjoy the laughs that can be had on this site. i also post if i think i have information that someone may find useful, & hopefully they do . i to am a positive member & love living in NZ

Nerine Jan 15th 2007 7:23 am

I really came onto the forum to research information about making the move from NZ to Oz and for getting ideas about good places to live near Brisbane, so I also post on the Australia and the Moving Back to the UK boards.

I also am a happy person but wouldn't describe myself as blinkered, nor am I shy about saying what I think (something which has already been noted) I am interested in contributing facts about the three years I've spent here and if that helps someone to form a more accurate impression of NZ that's good.

Apple12 Jan 15th 2007 7:25 am

I post as I think that sometimes I have helpful advice, especially for those who are wanting to come to Christchurch. I am an outdoorsy person so enjoy helping with others who are into that kind of thing too.
I am very happy here, and love living in my chosen city.
I am positive about living here, as it has worked for me and my family.

jueinnz Jan 15th 2007 7:30 am

Thanks for the replies guys...

...anyone else?

Boopy Jan 15th 2007 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4285210)

...anyone else?

I also started looking at the forum for research, now here feel I have honest opinions to offer people wanting to move to NZ. It's nice to catch up on how some have made their journey through to a new life and to how they've settled.

But I will admit to often being hooked and sometimes get a giggle at the bitching!

Batty Jan 15th 2007 7:53 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4285210)

...anyone else?

I'm nosey :D I joined because we were in the process of emigrating and couldn't get enough of reading about people's experiences here. I made some good friends too, among them people who have returned to the UK. Now, I like it here (mostly) and there's a good crowd. If I can help I will but if I can't I still like to read what people have to say.... so.... I'm back to being nosey :D

Rascal Jan 15th 2007 7:56 am

First came here in 1996
Again in 99, 2001, and finally in 2002.
Have seen quite a few changes over the years, but more so since we came to live. Some for the better,(oh especially THAT road from AKL to Hammy!!) some not. (prices risen, salaries same or just above what they were in 2002)
Lived here for 5 years almost.
Moving out in 2 weeks though.:D
Had lots of bad experiences, worked hard to overcome them.
Met other expats who have had similar experiences and like us lost lost of money. Some things can be avoided if you know what to avoid.:)
Also been on MBTUK forum as well as M.E.
Its a public forum with all invited, so why not?:)
Haven't seen any rules that say "if it doesn't work out for you, you are not invited to post' :p
:D

Littletoe Jan 15th 2007 8:06 am

There's some really nice people on here, they offer support and useful advice. I've found some great links on here also that I use all the time now.

sky Jan 15th 2007 8:36 am

I just am a very nosy person too and like to see how folk are doing. It's also better visiting this forum than watching nz tv ... most nights anyways :)

thebears Jan 15th 2007 8:57 am

Post because - some people might need some help

Mandie Jan 15th 2007 12:38 pm

I first visited the forum for a couple of weeks before i decided to join

I visit the forum to learn from others, read their experiences and on occasions give info on things i have learnt

My husband has pulled out of the move at the moment but on occasions says that he'd still like to go, so i am at present still holding onto hope that my dreams will come true...so for now i am still posting and still reading with glee all the info anyone cares to put forward.

I've just before xmas been offered at job in christchurch, so waitin for the contract to come through so i'll be able to try to get my husband interested again, once he does then it's the medicals then the visas will be applied for.

But until that day i'll still be reading and i'll still be posting
So keep the positive posts coming and if they can't be positive please let them be constructive

Mandie :D

DiffordA Jan 15th 2007 4:12 pm

I come on here mainly to find answers to my numerous questions to be honest although I hope that doesn't sound too selfish. It is a fantastic resoursce with such varied advice and opinions that frankly you couldn't pay for! I enjoy helping others out where possible from my own experiences and I hope to expand on these opportunities after my arrival in NZ in March!

I hope to be an oracle in the future!

kwprwn Jan 15th 2007 6:11 pm

First found this not long after moved here, was lonely as knew no one and wasnt working

Now I come on here while at work....good excuse for shirking at work, it gives good information on here, nice to chat to people who have done the same thing, as it makes you feel not alone in the world when sometimes you do

and its addictive:D and I can get walkers crisps in the bar:p