Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of driving lessons?

Cost of driving lessons?

Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:52 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of driving lessons?

Does anyone know how much driving lessons cost?
And can anyone recommend an instructor in the Tawa/North Wellington/Porirua area?

It would make Melanie's life much easier if she could drive to and from school.

There's no way I'm teaching her. Tried that with and ex and it was not a good experience. Not only did she storm out of the car leaving me blocking the middle of some traffic lights at a T-junction, she also drove my nearly new car into a hedge!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cost of driving lessons?

I guess no-ones had driving lessons!! I actually said to OH a few weeks ago purhaps we should start a driving schol ourselves and wondered if you had to take a test to be called a instructor or not!
It does say a lot about the state of the nations driving
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:12 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.aa.co.nz/about/careers/Dr...s/default.aspx
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I dont think anyone HAS driving lessons, I seriously doubt it anyway.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RobClubley
And can anyone recommend an instructor in the Tawa/North Wellington/Porirua area?

It would make Melanie's life much easier if she could drive to and from school.

There's no way I'm teaching her. Tried that with and ex and it was not a good experience. Not only did she storm out of the car leaving me blocking the middle of some traffic lights at a T-junction, she also drove my nearly new car into a hedge!!
Our daughter failed her driving test three times in the UK, at a cost of just over 1,000.00 UK Sterling!

After she had been driving on a learners, here in NZ for 6 months, we paid for an hours lesson, costing $50, with an instructor to make sure she was ready to take her restricted license - she passed at the age of 17, along with her 15 year old brother, on the same day.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

mmm interesting...... maybe hubby could do it, mmm $50 an hour, I don't think it really adds up though unless you could book up students for 40 hours a week, (which I doubt in this country) would have to be apart time venture.......
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

My daughter will only have had 3 lessons in Blenheim ($45 per hour) and she is ready for her restricted ()
The instructor said that Mum and Dad have done a really good job teaching her
Don't think we would have been so good in UK with sheer volume of UK traffic compared to little old Blenheim!!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
mmm interesting...... maybe hubby could do it, mmm $50 an hour, I don't think it really adds up though unless you could book up students for 40 hours a week, (which I doubt in this country) would have to be apart time venture.......
many many Kiwi businesses are part-time man/wife operations or radically diversified within the same company - you might find it better to be part-time as with under $43k gross income there would be no need to charge GST and you could undercut a GST registered business by 1/9 and perhaps win market share that way.
AFIK: 98% of Kiwis work in SMEs and there are only 49 or 50 Kiwi-owned businesses with over 100 employees in NZ.
There are plenty of development Councils around that can assist in growing small businesses such as a driving school.
http://www.nzte.govt.nz/section/12558.aspx