cost of airfares

Old Sep 25th 2010, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice
Default cost of airfares

I recently flew back to the UK and the cheapest fare was with Emirates at $4000. I have come across fares from this end (UK) that are much cheaper - several around $1500. Why is this - it is infuriating!?!

A question - is it OK to buy a return fare from the country your are not resident in?
For less than the 4k I had to pay, I could have bought a single fare to the UK, then a return UK-NZ-UK. That would also enable me to return each year - a promise I made to my family when I came out here (major efforts in saving and prioritising of the budget in order to do this, though).
Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:47 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of airfares

Originally Posted by charlcote
I recently flew back to the UK and the cheapest fare was with Emirates at $4000. I have come across fares from this end (UK) that are much cheaper - several around $1500. Why is this - it is infuriating!?!

A question - is it OK to buy a return fare from the country your are not resident in?
For less than the 4k I had to pay, I could have bought a single fare to the UK, then a return UK-NZ-UK. That would also enable me to return each year - a promise I made to my family when I came out here (major efforts in saving and prioritising of the budget in order to do this, though).
You can do this, internet makes it easy. Something we have looked into a few times. Closest we did was buying two 1 way tickets which also worked out cheaper, but all depends on the deals you get.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

I bought a one way from here (NZ) as House of Travel had a sale,for $875. The return was nearly double so I didn't book that at the time. I was going to wait until I got to the UK and then get my ticket back but really wanted to get it sorted now. I'm returning November so prices start to soar, as it gets nearer to Christmas, and I need to get my daughter back for school. I didn't want to spend my much needed holiday traisping round travel agents or stuck on someone's computer trying to get back. Someone has told me their are 'bucket shops' in London that you can go to for cheap tickets ? Anyway..felt happier to get a ticket soon so went on travelsupermarket uk (thanks! you guys on here) and got a one way back here for £575. Buying a return wasn't much more..Crazy!
STA travel uk is also a good site. A lot of messing around but worked out cheaper in the end. Cheap is good. Still can't afford for all of us to go, just me and my daughter. She hasn't been back since she was 7yrs and she's now 14yrs. Love my son to go but he is in the middle of NCEAs..and my husband's not really bothered about going back.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
I bought a one way from here (NZ) as House of Travel had a sale,for $875. The return was nearly double so I didn't book that at the time. I was going to wait until I got to the UK and then get my ticket back but really wanted to get it sorted now. I'm returning November so prices start to soar, as it gets nearer to Christmas, and I need to get my daughter back for school. I didn't want to spend my much needed holiday traisping round travel agents or stuck on someone's computer trying to get back. Someone has told me their are 'bucket shops' in London that you can go to for cheap tickets ? Anyway..felt happier to get a ticket soon so went on travelsupermarket uk (thanks! you guys on here) and got a one way back here for £575. Buying a return wasn't much more..Crazy!
STA travel uk is also a good site. A lot of messing around but worked out cheaper in the end. Cheap is good. Still can't afford for all of us to go, just me and my daughter. She hasn't been back since she was 7yrs and she's now 14yrs. Love my son to go but he is in the middle of NCEAs..and my husband's not really bothered about going back.
Thanks for comments.
Pleased to hear that I wouldn't get stopped at the airport with an 'English' ticket but living in NZ .
For an overall 1500$ return valid for ayear a cost -effective plan would be to do this.
Hope you have a great trip!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

I'm sure I will....can't wait. The next two weeks will have me just waiting to go.