Reload this Page >

Correct use of a Maori name

Correct use of a Maori name

Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Toodles23 is on a distinguished road
Default Correct use of a Maori name

Hi,

Our case officer signs herself Te A***** W**** on her emails so up till now we've stayed safe and formal and used the whole thing. We got our passports complete with blue stickers yesterday (yippee!) and I thought it might be nice to send a 'thank you' but don't know how to address it, using her full name seems a little formal.

I'd guess I just use A*****, since I thought 'Te' was just 'the' but don't want to mistakenly cause offence. I just thought they probably get lots of people complaining about why they have been rejected or why it's taking time to process the application and not many thank you's when it does come through.

Thanks in advance wise forum peeps!
Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:26 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Correct use of a Maori name

Hello, is that defo her name, not title?
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

I think so... Desperately hope so now, still she can't be too upset with us if she gave us the visa! Google Translate definitely doesn't come up with anything for it. I think I'll play safe and keep it vague.

One day I'll learn not to overthink things
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:16 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Can you PM me the actual name - I am intrigued now!
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Toodles - congrats on securing your blue stickers. And what a thoughtful gesture to thank your case officer.

I'd probably play it safe and use Te A***** on the card. I have a friend called Te Hine**** N*****. We call her Hine. Some people prefer to be called by their full name of Te ******* and some prefer a shortened version of their name without the Te, and to be called a full version of the name without the Te may seem a bit odd. e.g Te Maharangi Smith (made up name) may liked to be called Maha - and to then be called Maharangi without the Te will seem a bit strange.

Hopefully that makes sense. But reading it back I'm not sure it does. I'm an overthinker too.

Last edited by marblep; Jun 5th 2014 at 5:57 am.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks marblep, that's useful.

Bourbon-biscuit, have pm'd as requested... Can't leave you hanging

I do wish hubby had paid more attention during his interview to how she introduced herself! I think I'll just address the card to her then not put a name in the card.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 7:02 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I asked my mum, who works a lot with Maori and she said you should send it Dear Te ...... in full, especially if that's how she signed her letters.

I had a client called Te Anga who called himself David. Go figure.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Te Aniwa is quite common girls / ladies name and yes you do say the Te.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Te Aniwa is quite common girls / ladies name and yes you do say the Te.
Agreed. Te is a common prefix for both mens' and womens' Maori names and also surnames. I'd definitely use the full name. Just to be safe. She'll probably be so chuffed to receive a thank you, she won't give a sh!t either way
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, I just didn't want to find I'd essentially put "Miss Jo" which would have been odd.

That said I work a lot with people in India and my maiden surname was Johnson. I got a lot of emails starting Hi John (I'm female).
Old Jun 5th 2014, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Toodles23
Thanks everyone, I just didn't want to find I'd essentially put "Miss Jo" which would have been odd.

That said I work a lot with people in India and my maiden surname was Johnson. I got a lot of emails starting Hi John (I'm female).
Ha ha. Nope,it's definitely not a prefix.

We have slightly similar trouble with my Samoan, Tongan and Niuean cousins. Growing up we addressed them by their shortened names, e.g. Talagiatonoa is Noa. But as we've got older they've set their email addresses etc to their full names. It takes some brain power to rememeber them all! Anything over 3 syllablells and I've forgotten.

Last edited by marblep; Jun 5th 2014 at 10:13 am.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

My surname at work is long and tricky, especially for people of Asian or French origin, to say. We compromise and some students call me Mrs Hazelnut. I think it rather sweet and it meets their feeling of dutiful politeness without needing them to try and pronounce something they will, almost inevitably, find very hard to say correctly.

I would hope most people with non-mainstream names would be equally understanding and not mind about an incorrect naming when done with the spirit of being polite and saying thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I teach a girl with Te at the beginning. I always refer to her that way, her cousins drop that bit and just call her by the second part of her name. It's just a shortening of a name as we all do. I'm sure your case officer will be thrilled anyway
Old Jun 10th 2014, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Dandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toodles23
Hi,

Our case officer signs herself Te A***** W**** on her emails so up till now we've stayed safe and formal and used the whole thing. We got our passports complete with blue stickers yesterday (yippee!) and I thought it might be nice to send a 'thank you' but don't know how to address it, using her full name seems a little formal.

I'd guess I just use A*****, since I thought 'Te' was just 'the' but don't want to mistakenly cause offence. I just thought they probably get lots of people complaining about why they have been rejected or why it's taking time to process the application and not many thank you's when it does come through.

Thanks in advance wise forum peeps!
Hello Toodles

We have had the same case officer. I asked how she pronounced her name during the telephone interview and she said A***** so I would send a card with that on.