Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Importing our 40yr old Bedford CF camper?

Importing our 40yr old Bedford CF camper?

Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

emmawoo77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing our 40yr old Bedford CF camper?

Hi!

We are heading over in July and have always planned on bringing 'Ernie' with us. He has been recently lovingly restored, standard to original spec, is rust free and mechanically sound but we are struggling to find out any info on whether it is feasible to do so in terms of WoF and meeting standards (cant work out if he will be eisions exempt etc..) Anyone else done anything similar with an older camper?

Thanks in advance - Emma
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing our 40yr old Bedford CF camper?

we spoke to AA.co.nz who were very helpful

email: [email protected]

and let him know:

Can you please tell me:

Make

Model

Type of fuel (petrol/diesel)

Date of first registration

How long you have owned it

Expected port of entry in NZ

Can you also send me a picture of the EC Type approval plate (see attachment) and perhaps a copy of the V5? We are looking for the approval number which starts with the letter “e”. This approval number tells us if your car meets some or hopefully all of the required standards. Once I know what we are dealing with, I can advise you if you need to get more information or evidence.

As an immigrant to NZ, you may meet the criteria for an immigrant exemption. This would allow the entry-certification without having o meet the frontal impact and the emission standard. All other standards have to be met.

For a petrol vehicle allow about NZ$1000 for entry-certification and first registration or about NZ$1400 for a diesel.

Other than de-registering the vehicle and making sure it arrives clean, there is nothing else you really need to do at this stage. You only need to get further evidence for the compliance standards if the car doesn’t have an “e” number.

Make sure you can prove that you own it (receipt, bill of sale) and that it was registered (V5). A V5 with your name on will do for both.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

emmawoo77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I have been in touch with him just now and it looks like a minimum of about £3000 to ship and clear Ernie ready for the road. I could handle £2000. Im going to sleep on it but it looks like someone in the UK is going to bag themselves an amazing bargin. We will never get back the eye watering £8000 he has cost us in total to date so adding £3000 is probably just crazy thinking.....
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

shame and I would say that amount could just be the possible minimum.