Container ships

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Container ships

Ours has been 43days now and they said approx 44. We haven't heard a thing from them yet. Starting to worry now.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:43 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road

The MAF charge is usual. Quite unusal not to get charged. It is for a spray of anything wood, leather (think tables, beds, sofa's, etc). Everytime I've had something sent home it's been subject to MAF.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

We lived with out our funiture and stuff for two years (thanks to inlaws big garage!!) and it was really exciting when it all arrived, we actually went down to devonport so we could look through binoculars to see our ship being unloaded...thinking...thats our stuff on there!!! sounds crazy but it was real cool!!!! Unpacking all the boxes we were like kids at Christmas

However 3 years later I still find myself thinking where did I leave such and such I've not had it since I was in UK...or I'm sure we used to have one of those....
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leaseuk
The MAF charge is usual. Quite unusal not to get charged. It is for a spray of anything wood, leather (think tables, beds, sofa's, etc). Everytime I've had something sent home it's been subject to MAF.
We weren't charged anything...they didn't even look ...but we were carefull how we filled out the forms and didn't bring anything that would cause concern.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Gawd knows where ours is. We got details yesterday from the NZ side of the shipping firm, asking for money already. Apparently we need to pay $184.50 for a 'MAFF and Quarantine Fee' for when the container arrives. Has anyone else who's container's already arrived been asked for this? We were told in the UK that our fee was upfront and all inclusive. If this Maff charge seems unusual to you guys, I'll question it.
UUmm. Where is your container at present ? There is no such thing as an 'up front' Maf inspection and quarantine fee. My guess is that either White Van Lines or The Moving Company are asking for this !!

We were asked for an upfront fee of over $250 which we paid to Moving Company. It transpired that our container hadn't even been inspected and there was no Maf fee. We complained and obtained a refund. Inside our container we had artifacts, wicker baskets, some garden tools, bikes - all of which we declared.

If you have paid, through your shipping company in the UK, for your container to be delivered to your door, then you can choose where your container is inspected. You can either go to the docks , or have the inspection at your house. There are some papers to fill in prior to the inspection. Your delivery company - for that is all they are - at this end can supply you with the forms. You fill them in and give them to the MAF inspector. If there is any fee there will be a MAF invoice direct to you.

When you agree to pay this upfront fee to the NZ delivery comany , you are sort of agreeing to a service charge . In my view its a rip off, trumped up, profit making, scamified charge. For that charge an employee or two from the delivery firm are present when your container is inspected - thats it - and it's a complete rip off IMHO.

My suggestion would be to do yourselves a favour plus some $$$ and tell your delivery firm you wish to deal with the MAF inspection yourselves. THey may huff and puff. They may also try the 'ole trick of holding your container over a weekend or so to charge you storage fees. Don't go for it. Track that container . Chase 'em up and insist its delivered to you promptly, no messin'. Any hint of hassle , get onto your UK shipping company.

Finally here is a link to The MAF site and the forms

Hope this helps.

I seem to be on a bit of a roll today. Hope me head doesn't go pop.