Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

container advice anyone?

container advice anyone?

Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: container advice anyone?

Originally Posted by kazandav
Hi Liam,
Pickfords are the cheapest so far, but we have had PSS out today and are awaiting their quote which is due tomorrow so I will post again to let you know.
Don't forget to play them off against each other too, well worth it
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

There weren't any Ecover products in my local Countdown, but you'll need to check the other supermarkets. Most people here use top-loader washing machines that use different powder, although front-loaders are available. You'll just have to adapt and find a new powder that suits you.

As for the container quotes, make sure you know exactly what the quote includes and what the insurance covers. Mrs F used PSS for example had to pay a few hundred dollars for MAF to come and inspect her stuff at her home, whereas we used Pickfords and it was done at their warehouse in Wellington so the cost was included in the quote. Some companies such as Pickfords and Crown also have offices and delivery vans in NZ whereas others don't and use third party delivery companies. We had no problems, but thought if there were problems it would have been easier to go to a company that actually had offices and staff here.

Definitely ask about discounts. We got Pickfords to match the insurance quote from Letton Percival and also got free delivery to the house even though it was 50km from Wellington not the 30km they specified. All we did was ask over the phone, no hassle involved!
Old Jul 19th 2013, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all

I must check the inspection fees then, PSS said it will be extra but I can't remember what the others said. One company said they would move slightly on the price but as it was August they would have a lot of jobs on so didn't really need the work and therefore wouldn't be prepared to reduce much, I must admit that attitude did put me off slightly. I asked another if the fact that they didn't have offices over there was detrimental but he said that it was the opposite because if they have any problems they would just give the work to another company and that keeps them on their toes. At the end of the day it will just be down to price I think for us. For Snapshot, No I won't stop contributing when we move but hopefully I'll be answering questions then instead of asking, I'm sure there will be loads more I'll need to ask in the meantime so bear with me lol
Old Jul 19th 2013, 7:10 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning. How are you sleeping lately ? Do you catch a few hours shut-eye between thinking about the move ?
Old Jul 19th 2013, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all

Yes just a few hours lol. It's a combination of nerves and excitement to be honest. David sleeps like a log whereas I'm going to bed as late as possible and still not sleeping. So much to do but it's all good and at the end of the day it's a situation we chose to be in. On top of that we still don't know where we will be living when the house sale goes through in roughly 3 weeks! Thanks for asking though
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

There is a range of detergents similar to Ecover in Countdown, and Commonsense Organics may sell Ecover, I'm not sure. Husband thinks he's seen it in Countdown (he gets the groceries) but he's not a 100%.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:29 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

kazandave - We were once in the same position. We sold our house on 12 Jan 2011. Our flights were booked for 26 Feb 2011.

I asked my Dad if we could stay with him which he agreed to. To cut a long story short we left after four of the six weeks as we didn't get on with one of Dad's lodgers. Instead of telling the lodger to back off, Dad just let us walk.

Anyway, fortunately I had recently got reacquainted with an old school friend. She arranged for us to stay in the, 'show flat' of the over 55's block where she lives with her mum for a couple of weeks.

What a debacle ! Which was before we even got to Auckland, prior to leaving for Christchurch.

It's exhausting this emigration lark, it really is !! I sometimes wonder if people that come direct to NZ on a job offer and go straight to their new town know how comparatively 'easy' their move has been. (Sorry M&M)
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Easy?! I wouldn't think My ride was easy!!! Did you read any of the blog?! I was homeless on the other side of the world to my husband, stayin in a tiny rented room of a friend of a friend who I didn't even know. I had to find houses etc on my own, without a car. The job wasnt at all what they promised me and the payroll cocked up my pay for two months leaving me penniless.

Meanwhile in the UK the house buyers gave us the run around, the container people wanted a full months notice to empty and the solicitor wouldn't guarantee an exchange that far in advance, so in the end hubby had to book and pay up front and get a loan from a friend to pay for it. When it exchanged he then couldn't book the flight cos they had sky rocketed up so had to stay with mate for a further 3 weeks.

3 days after he arrived my mum told me she had cancer and died ten days later. I didn't make it back to the UK in time.

Don't you dare tell me it's easy.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Janie, thanks for that,it would be great if they do it,we have tried other things in the past that are natural but they have all exarcebated his eczema. I'll look on countdown website. Snapshot, glad you got sorted in the end. We have another house next door that we haven't been able to sell so we are renting it out. I don't really want to kick the tenants out even though they've known all along that it would be a possibility but we don't really have an alternative. I do feel awful about it but we've looked for somewhere else and there just isn't anything at this time of year. M and M, gosh you've had a terrible time, I remember replying to your post about your mum, hope things begin to settle down for you so that you can enjoy your new life.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by M_and_M
Easy?! I wouldn't think My ride was easy!!! Did you read any of the blog?!
Yes, that's why I said sorry.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:57 am

Don't you dare tell me it's easy.
That's why I said sorry. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered now.

Being unemployed in NZ with nothing but endless turn downs either with or without interview is no fun. It gets stale after a while, with no choice but to continue on the endless treadmill of applications and turn downs. From the companies that can even be bothered to respond with thanks but no thanks.

Hopefully your other half will have better luck finding employment. I hope weeks of unemployment don't drift into months which then become years. One has to get creative with ways to fill ones time and keep one's spirits up.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread kazandav. Back to the story OP......

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 19th 2013 at 10:48 am.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

An update for Liamhere, we have received the quote from PSS and they are the cheapest of the 4 we asked at £3,557. Hope this helps, and thanks to all of you who replied .
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:22 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks snapshot, would appreciate that. Can I be cheeky and ask you to see if they have ecover laundry liquid, its the only one my son can use. Good news is I've only got till mid September to mither you all !
Not sure if they sell the laundry liquid, but New World do stock Ecover products.

We used to buy Ecover it in bulk in the UK in big 5lt size. You could get it mail order. Then we used to top up our household containers.

We just moved with Crown and they happily packed all our 5lt Ecover stuff in the container. So you could buy up a good stock and ship it with you.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Lol this is New Zealand not the moon
So I take it you've not been shopping for decaf tea then?

I am only aware of Dilmah. There's certainly nowhere near the choice there is in the Uk where all teabags, even supermarket own brands come in the decaf version.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Can I be cheeky and ask you to see if they have ecover laundry liquid, its the only one my son can use. Good news is I've only got till mid September to mither you all !
We have gone a bit 21st century now and do have one online supermarket:

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner=...hop/Department

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.